PDA

View Full Version : Cover art not showing with files on NAS

wesg
2006-10-28, 16:10
I'm running server 6.5.0, on XP Pro SP2.

All flac files stored in album directories with cover.jpg in each directory.

When all of the FLAC directories were stored locally on the XP box everything was working like a champ. However, I recently moved the entire directory structure, without any changes off to a NAS.

Now when I scan the flac files via \\NAS_NAME\media\Music, the gallery view artwork has stopped working.

If I go to sort by album, gallery view I only see blank image placeholders. If I drill into an album, the artwork shows up perfectly. So it seems as if the art is being found?

Interestingly, when I run Moose the album art also does not appear in this configuration. When I ran Moose prior to moving the files it all worked as well.

The only difference is the directory structure is now located via a UNC address on a ReadyNAS vs. stored locally on the XP box.

I've looked in the FAQ and wiki to no avail. Any thoughts?

Thanks

WesG

JJZolx
2006-10-28, 18:05
I'm running server 6.5.0, on XP Pro SP2.

All flac files stored in album directories with cover.jpg in each directory.

When all of the FLAC directories were stored locally on the XP box everything was working like a champ. However, I recently moved the entire directory structure, without any changes off to a NAS.
That should work. It's exactly the way I have my music stored.

Now when I scan the flac files via \\NAS_NAME\media\Music, the gallery view artwork has stopped working.
Are you sure the library scan has completed when you try to use the gallery view? The scanning process happens in several passes, and one of the last passes is the one that catalogs artwork.

If I go to sort by album, gallery view I only see blank image placeholders. If I drill into an album, the artwork shows up perfectly. So it seems as if the art is being found?
One of the strange little idiosyncracies of SlimServer, which has to be explained here at least once a week, is that the cover thumbnails are generated from the covers that SlimServer finds during a library scan and stores in its database. When you get to the album view, however, SlimServer ignores the data it has stored and looks for the cover artwork in the file system instead. So it looks like the covers are OK, and that SlimServer can find them when it really needs to, but for some reason the scanning process may not be seeing them.

Interestingly, when I run Moose the album art also does not appear in this configuration. When I ran Moose prior to moving the files it all worked as well.
Moose probably just uses SlimServer's database to find the covers, so if SlimServer doesn't catalog a cover, Moose won't have it either.

I've looked in the FAQ and wiki to no avail. Any thoughts?
Are you running SlimServer 6.5.x? If so, one thing to try is completely clearing the Cache folder. There seem to be a few ongoing issues with the cache, particularly as used by SlimServer's web seerver.

wesg
2006-10-31, 07:17
Thanks again for the help.

I had cleared and scaned teh database prior to my last post, however after your reponse and did this one more time and now the cover art is appearing properly in the gallery mode.

It is pretty slow, however I expect this is due to performance issues with transfering a large number of images from the ReadyNAS to the XP box.

If you have a similar set up can you help me gauge what a proper expectation would be. My ReadyNAS NV+ has 1GB Ram, the XP Pro box has a 3.4GHz processor and 1GB Ram. Connected with a 100MB wired network, with a couple switches in between.

JJZolx
2006-10-31, 10:44
Thanks again for the help.

I had cleared and scaned teh database prior to my last post, however after your reponse and did this one more time and now the cover art is appearing properly in the gallery mode.

It is pretty slow, however I expect this is due to performance issues with transfering a large number of images from the ReadyNAS to the XP box.
No, that wouldn't be the reason. The images don't actually need to be transfered, since SlimServer doesn't scan these files like it does music files. It only needs to get directory listings from the NAS and catalog the artwork that it finds.

If you have a similar set up can you help me gauge what a proper expectation would be. My ReadyNAS NV+ has 1GB Ram, the XP Pro box has a 3.4GHz processor and 1GB Ram. Connected with a 100MB wired network, with a couple switches in between.
Sounds very similar to my setup.

I have a ReadyNAS 600, about 16 months old, with four 320GB hard drives, giving me about 870 GB of usable storage space. I increased RAM to 512 MB when I got the NAS, but RAM makes very little difference in speed on the Infrants except maybe if you're running a lot of the built in applications. I only use mine now for a file server - I don't even run the FTP or any of the backup applications that come with it. If you have a recent ReadayNAS NV, it should be marginally faster than my 600.

The server has a 3.0 GHz P4 and 1 GB of RAM. The server and NAS are connected via gigabit Ethernet with jumbo frames. This is probably the biggest difference in our setups, although I don't know how much difference it might make.

It takes 20-25 minutes for my server to scan about 13,000 Flac encoded tracks in 1100 albums.

My next plan is to buy a 500GB drive, which will be more than enough for my music library, for under $200 and relegate the ReadyNAS to only backup duties. This should speed up SlimServer scans greatly, by having the files stored on the server itself.

In the not too distant future I'll sell the NAS with the drives, and just add drive capacity to my server. You can purchase 750GB drives now - nearly the capacity of my NAS - for under $400, so it just doesn't make a lot of sense to pay $1500+ for a populated NAS with not much more capcity. The drive redundancy really doesn't buy you much peace of mind. Much better to have good backups.

wesg
2006-11-01, 07:14
When I noted "it" was slow, what I meant was viewing the album covers in gallery mode. The images are slowling populating about 3 images a second until the page is fully populated.

This makes the gallery view not terribly useful.

I'm curious if with your gigabit connection if your gallery view images populate more quickly.

radish
2006-11-01, 08:06
My album art also populates extremely slowly (a similar rate to yours). This is on a dedicated server which is usually extremely fast. I've been a little disappointed by the Album Art stuff in 6.5.0, it's certainly more feature rich than it used to be but it's so slow as to be useless.

Ben Sandee
2006-11-01, 08:13
On 11/1/06, radish <radish.2gln6o1162393802 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> My album art also populates extremely slowly (a similar rate to yours).
> This is on a dedicated server which is usually extremely fast. I've
> been a little disappointed by the Album Art stuff in 6.5.0, it's
> certainly more feature rich than it used to be but it's so slow as to
> be useless.

Wow, I have the exact opposite experience. Album art is simply seamless and
doesn't add any extra time for me. I wonder if something is wrong with your
cache directory that causes the art to be resized every time it's
requested? Have you tried 6.5.1 releases? Filed any bugs on this?

radish
2006-11-01, 09:54
I wonder if something is wrong with your
cache directory that causes the art to be resized every time it's
requested?

It's very possible. I never used album art much in the past so I hadn't really worried about it. I'll do some more investigation. One question - does it generate thumbnails in a batch post scan, or are they all created on demand? If the latter, then it would be very slow the first time you see a given page right? Maybe I'm just being impatient :)

Have you tried 6.5.1 releases? Filed any bugs on this?
No and no. I'm always a little nervous about nightlies (even though a bug which is affecting me is fixed in 6.5.1) - maybe I'll give it a shot. If I can confirm any more specifics I'll file a bug.

Dr Lovegrove
2006-11-01, 09:59
On 01/11/06, Ben Sandee <tbsandee (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> On 11/1/06, radish
> <radish.2gln6o1162393802 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
> wrote:
>
> Wow, I have the exact opposite experience. Album art is simply seamless and
> doesn't add any extra time for me. I wonder if something is wrong with your
> cache directory that causes the art to be resized every time it's requested?
> Have you tried 6.5.1 releases? Filed any bugs on this?

I've noticed on my server (and in recent 6.5 builds) that if you do a
rescan without wiping the db first (or if you discover newly added
music via browse music folders) the coverart system falls to bits and
generally returns the place-holder artwork for newly added files.

I also had an interesting situation the other day where it was returning
correct thumb.jpg's, but placeholders for cover.jpg's.. Guess the thumbs
are cached.. Looks like there are a few issues to iron out with the new
scanner still..

--
- Dr Lovegrove
Free Moose for all at:
http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove