PDA

View Full Version : Crossfade: Can we have longer than 10 seconds

ajmitchell
2006-10-28, 14:45
Hi,

I know not everyone uses cross-fade, but for the benefit of the many who do, I was wondering if we can have the option to cross-fade over more than 10seconds, eg 15seconds possibly even 20. Many songs have such a long natural fade that 10seconds give no perceptable overlap.

Is there a reason that 10 second is some kind of fixed limit?

thanks

alex

jonheal
2006-10-28, 14:57
Hi,

I know not everyone uses cross-fade, but for the benefit of the many who do, I was wondering if we can have the option to cross-fade over more than 10seconds, eg 15seconds possibly even 20. Many songs have such a long natural fade that 10seconds give no perceptable overlap.

Is there a reason that 10 second is some kind of fixed limit?

thanks

alex

I've been begging for this one, too. 10 seconds rarely crossfades!

seanadams
2006-10-28, 20:58
Crossfading requires that both tracks be decompressed so that they can be mixed. This means a much larger amount of memory is needed for each second of crossfade than for each second of normal stream buffering. Going beyond 10s (x2 == 20s) for the crossfade would take away too much space from the main streaming buffer.

jonheal
2006-10-29, 04:17
Crossfading requires that both tracks be decompressed so that they can be mixed. This means a much larger amount of memory is needed for each second of crossfade than for each second of normal stream buffering. Going beyond 10s (x2 == 20s) for the crossfade would take away too much space from the main streaming buffer.
That sounds like pretty much the last word on that. Rats.

ajmitchell
2006-10-30, 02:02
ok thanks Sean.....how about a cheeky request for 11 second then! (if you don't reply I'll guess your answer) ;)

byKnight
2006-10-30, 06:05
I'd like to have a smarter crossfader that examines the level on the first track and initiates the cross-fading "window" once the level drops below a user-configurable point.

For years I used a crossfader plug-in for Winamp (http://www.sqrsoft.com.ar/en/index.html) that worked like this.

I've submitted a feature request in bugzilla related to this. If you'd like to vote for it, You can find it here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4442

jonheal
2006-10-30, 13:22

Then can the SB4 get a bigger buffer?

:-)

Marc Sherman
2006-10-30, 13:43
jonheal wrote:
>
> Then can the SB4 get a bigger buffer?

And a pack horse. :)

- Marc

GoCubs
2006-10-30, 13:49

Is there a way to do the crossfading on the serverside where there's much more memory?

-Greg

stinkingpig
2006-10-30, 20:36
On 10/30/06, GoCubs
<GoCubs.2gidlb1162241401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> seanadams;150575 Wrote:
> > Crossfading requires that both tracks be decompressed so that they can
> > be mixed. This means a much larger amount of memory is needed for each
> > second of crossfade than for each second of normal stream buffering.
> > Going beyond 10s (x2 == 20s) for the crossfade would take away too much
> > space from the main streaming buffer.
>
> Is there a way to do the crossfading on the serverside where there's
> much more memory?
>
> -Greg
>

who says there's much more memory? Remember, a lot of people are
trying to run this on NAS'es with barely enough memory to load a perl
interpreter.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

GoCubs
2006-10-31, 08:25
On 10/30/06, GoCubs
who says there's much more memory? Remember, a lot of people are
trying to run this on NAS'es with barely enough memory to load a perl
interpreter.

True, but many people run on more powerful machines. If the memory is available and could be put to use, why not? For people with less memory they can go with SB-based crossfading limits.

This would also allow crossfading on older hardware that does not currently offer any crossfading options.

-Greg

jonheal
2006-10-31, 09:28
True, but many people run on more powerful machines. If the memory is available and could be put to use, why not? For people with less memory they can go with SB-based crossfading limits.

This would also allow crossfading on older hardware that does not currently offer any crossfading options.

-Greg

I think whatever memory the server has to offer is a mute point if your playing FLACs. Aren't they decoded on the SB?

GoCubs
2006-10-31, 09:55
I think whatever memory the server has to offer is a mute point if your playing FLACs. Aren't they decoded on the SB?
What I'm suggesting (although probably more hassle than it's worth at this point in the game) is to decode the 2 songs on the server (whatever file format they are) crossfade them, and then encode that new, crossfaded stream to flac/whatever and send it to the player.

-Greg

vacaboca
2006-11-03, 20:56
What I'm suggesting (although probably more hassle than it's worth at this point in the game) is to decode the 2 songs on the server (whatever file format they are) crossfade them, and then encode that new, crossfaded stream to flac/whatever and send it to the player.

-Greg

For what it's worth, that's something I'd really like to have as an option - it opens the door to more sophisticated crossfade/overlap behavior, and an easy place to plug in other DSP (room correction, EQ, etc.)... certainly at potential costs, but I'd like to have that choice.

Hamlet
2007-03-28, 02:33
This sounds like a good request, if not 20 seconds perhaps 15. Since it's an option, users would set it higher than 10 at their own risk. More choices are good.

Also, check out my recent fade suggestion, and please vote there if you like it.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4870