PDA

View Full Version : connect SB3 directly to computer

kgturner
2006-10-28, 10:00
i want to connect my sb3 directly to my computer via ethernet cable, but it doesn't seem to work. is this even possible at all? i have all my mp3 files set up on a second hard drive (F:/). when i run slimserver it says it cannot find my sb3. the reason i'm trying to do this is that i will be taking my computer and sb3 to my wedding reception and randomly playing music from the F: drive. i can accomplish this goal by other means, but i'd much prefer to use the sb3 as i like the interface better. otherwise, i'll need to bring my monitor which is large and more distracting than the sb3. anybody have any thoughts on how i can directly connect my sb3 to my computer via ethernet cable? thanks.

kevin t

kgturner
2006-10-28, 10:08
i think i found the answer. apparently i need a crossover cat-5 cable rather than the straight thru cat-5 i was using. anybody tried this before i run out and buy a crossover cable?

kevin t

ceejay
2006-10-28, 10:18
Yes, a crossover cable is definitely what you need.

Of course, if you have a old/spare hub or switch lying around you could use that too, but the cable will be the cleanest solution for you.

Ceejay

Siriosys
2006-10-28, 19:33
kgturner,

Don't forget to give your Squeezebox a static (fixed) IP address on the same network as your PC so they can see each other.

Cheerz

Siriosys

kgturner
2006-10-28, 19:41
thanks for the info, guys. as far as assigning a static ip address, does it particularly matter what address i assign? or can i just enter any series of random numbers as long as they match on both the sb3 and my computer. i found a tutorial on how to change to a static ip address, but didn't necessarily know what numbers i need to enter. is there a particular range i need to keep it between? fyi...my current ip address is 192.168.0.100. it's dynamic though, not static. can i just use this and enter it manually into the sb3 and the LAN properties in my computer's network connection? sorry for the excess questions, i'm not too familiar with changing ip addresses.

kevin t

ceejay
2006-10-29, 01:39
Hi

Your PC will be getting its current dynamic IP address from your router, presumeably, which of course won't be there in your "wedding" scenario. So you will need to assign both PC and SB a static IP address. What's important is that the first three groups of numbers are the same, so they are on the same network.

Then you just need two different numbers for the last group (but not 0 or 255 as these are special).

For convenience you might want to consider giving them static addresses which are well away from the range used by the DHCP server in your router: so if that starts at 100, you could give static addresses of, say, 192.168.0.200 and 192.168.0.201 That way they should work without change in both normal and wedding modes!

Configure the PC with one of these, and the SB with the other, connect them up and with any luck they will find each other....

HTH
Ceejay