PDA

View Full Version : Greatest demo discs

adamslim
2006-10-26, 16:54
I can't help but call them discs even though they're a thing of the past ;)

Stuff that has great music and even better sound:
Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
Quartetto Italiano - late Beethoven quartets
Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Come on, three each - discs people must hear!

peejay
2006-10-26, 18:10
Ok, Here I go:
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
George Howard - Midnight Mood - this album released 3 months before he died.....no more from this guy, sadly.

Colour of Spring - I'm A Talk Talk fan myself...good choice. Any Brubeck will do me as well.

devin
2006-10-26, 19:18
Michael Hedges - Live on the Double Planet
Holly Cole Trio - Don't Smoke in Bed
Medeski Martin & Wood - Friday Afternoon in the Universe

tomsi42
2006-11-01, 07:22
Old stuff that most of you have heard:

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
Doobie Brothers - Takin' it to the Streets

"New" stuff that I am listenening to now:
Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat
Kari Bremnes - Over en by
Stacey Kent - The Boy Next Door

adamslim
2006-11-01, 07:37
Thanks people; I have added to my Amazon wish list :)

Random comments:
Little Feat - I don't know them, but do know well an album by Helen Watson, Blue Slipper, which was absolutely stunning on vinyl. It got LF back together, I think, and has just been reissued on CD.

Pink Floyd - Animals, surely? ;)

Michael Hedges - is this album better than Watching My Life Go By? That is well recorded but has never really done it for me. However, it's close enough that I'll get the live album.

Joni Mitchell - I have just a couple of hers, including the wonderful Blue, and welcome another recommendation. I have heard that much of her repertoire fails to live up to her peaks, so it's good to get personal recommendations.

Cheers all.

Adam

jeffluckett
2006-11-01, 07:41
Pink Floyd - Animals, surely? ;)

Animals is an old favorite of mine, for sure. But I've got a MFSL remastered copy of Dark Side of the Moon. Never fails to impress. I go back to it time and again.

ErikM
2006-11-01, 10:05
I'm a big Joni fan..Blue, which you mentioned, Court and Spark, For the Roses, Ladies Of the Canyon, and Miles Of Isles if you like live stuff...

As for favorite demo disc's I sold audio for years the best demos are music that the client loves! The best demo's for me are music I love!

peejay
2006-11-01, 14:57
Oh, and Leonard Cohen's 'The Future'. For vocal projection on the track 'Be for Real', at a frequency only Lenny boy can hit, it is worth a play......

adamslim
2006-11-01, 15:25
Oh, and Leonard Cohen's 'The Future'. For vocal projection on the track 'Be for Real', at a frequency only Lenny boy can hit, it is worth a play......

Yeah all of Lenny's recent stuff is interesting; he's certainly getting old better than most of the 60s icons, music-wise. I'll dig out The Future to check it out :)

peejay
2006-11-02, 03:38
Yeah all of Lenny's recent stuff is interesting; he's certainly getting old better than most of the 60s icons, music-wise. I'll dig out The Future to check it out :)

I also have '10 New Songs on vinyl', which I haven't dragged out for a while..I need to listen to that again.

peejay
2006-11-02, 04:13
Kamakiriad, by Donald Fagen (the other half of Steely Dan). 'Snowbound' has some very wicked bass guitar rifs which should test your low frequency response from end to end...

reverber
2006-11-03, 07:56
Krushevo by Vlatko Stefanovski and Miroslav Tadic
Macedonian answer to "Friday Night in San Francisco) recorded in a Macedonian war memorial by MA records. One of the best sounding acoustic guitar records in my collection.

Pirates by Rickie Lee Jones

Trinity Sessions by The Cowboy Junkies

Cody