PDA

View Full Version : Beginner question

pxb
2006-10-26, 11:21
Hi,

I'm about to submit a feature request, but before I do I thought I'd ask here just to make sure I'm not missing something:

Is it possible to submit a single song, folder or collection of songs to be added to the database, without rescanning the entire database, and without playing the track?

The closest I've got is to use something like via the CLI interface:

playlist play /Users/Phil/song.mp3

which appears to have added the song to the database, but also starts playing it.

Thoughts?

pxb

max.spicer
2006-10-26, 11:34
You can use browse music folder to browse to it. This will cause it to be added to the database if it's not there already.

Max

Hi,

I'm about to submit a feature request, but before I do I thought I'd ask here just to make sure I'm not missing something:

Is it possible to submit a single song, folder or collection of songs to be added to the database, without rescanning the entire database, and without playing the track?

The closest I've got is to use something like via the CLI interface:

playlist play /Users/Phil/song.mp3

which appears to have added the song to the database, but also starts playing it.

Thoughts?

pxb

pxb
2006-10-26, 11:53
Max,

thanks for the quick response. I've been looking for how to do what you suggested via the CLI API and can't find it. What am I missing?

pxb

ceejay
2006-10-26, 11:58
Have you tried running the standalone scanner.exe (6.5 onwards) and pointing it at a directory? I've only done this with it pointed at the top directory of my library and it was pretty quick to find and add new files, not sure what happens if you just point it at a subdirectory.

Ceejay

pxb
2006-10-26, 13:11
Have you tried running the standalone scanner.exe (6.5 onwards) and pointing it at a directory? I've only done this with it pointed at the top directory of my library and it was pretty quick to find and add new files, not sure what happens if you just point it at a subdirectory.

Ceejay

Ceejay,

thanks for the suggestion. I just tried using the scanner.pl utility and it correctly scanned in a single song. It took a few seconds to do it, but hopefully with a much simpler perl script I can trim that down a bit.

It's be simpler if this was available directly via the CLI API, but via Perl is certainly good enough for now. I will probably file a feature request for this to be added to the CLI API.

thanks again,
pxb

Dan Sully
2006-10-26, 13:52
* pxb shaped the electrons to say...

>thanks for the suggestion. I just tried using the scanner.pl utility
>and it correctly scanned in a single song. It took a few seconds to do
>it, but hopefully with a much simpler perl script I can trim that down
>a bit.

Please keep in mind that the scanner has to do a bunch of initialization, and
scanning a track properly is not an easy task.

-D
--
Just because they're complaining doesn't mean they're right.