PDA

View Full Version : Will SB3 work with WRTSL54GS, a router with USB2 port for network storage?

Roy2001
2006-10-25, 12:03
I searched but could not find information.

I wonder if SB3 would recognize HD attached to USB port of a Linksys WRTSL54GS router.

This router has a USB2.0 port for network storage purpose.

Thanks.

jonheal
2006-10-25, 12:11
I searched but could not find information.

I wonder if SB3 would recognize HD attached to USB port of a Linksys WRTSL54GS router.

This router has a USB2.0 port for network storage purpose.

Thanks.
Seems like it should. Format the path to the music folder in SlimServer thusly:

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\musicshare

where "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" is the IP number of the router and "musicshare" is the name you gave to the shared music folder on the USB drive. I'm assuming the router has a web interface for creating shares on the drive. You might have to give "everyone" permission to read that share, too.

azinck3
2006-10-25, 12:20
but just to be clear: you'd still need to be running Slimserver on a computer on your network.

Roy2001
2006-10-25, 14:21
but just to be clear: you'd still need to be running Slimserver on a computer on your network.

Well, I forgot about slimserver. That defeated the purpose of network storage....

Thanks for reply.

azinck3
2006-10-25, 14:27
Well, I forgot about slimserver. That defeated the purpose of network storage....

Thanks for reply.

There are NAS boxes that can run slimserver. But they tend to cost more or be relatively tough to setup (or both). Look for QNAP, Infrant, Kurobox, Linkstation, etc., etc.

asher
2006-11-23, 01:47
What I am after, and what I think what you are asking, is whether anyone knows about running Slimserver on a Linksys WRTSL54GS. The WRTSL54GS is a NAS that happens to be a router as well. Given that some have Slimserver running on a NAS-only Linksys NSLU2 I assume doing the same on the WRTSL54GS is possible. I'll watch this thread along with doing some more research. The WRTSL54GS looks promising to me.

bpa
2006-11-23, 02:20
It may be possible since it has 32Mb RAM. However you need to get Perl running first.

You best bet would be to check out optware as part of the NSLU2 Unslung. optware is a project to enable easy installation of various packages on NAS type devices (initially it was just NSLU2).

NSLU2 are ARM based whereas WRT54G is a mipsel based processor. I think you need to install DDWRT first. Then see if there is a Perl (not microperl) for DDWRT or a similar router ASUS WL500G both of which are aimed at mipsel systems.

If you can get perl working then you can try to get slimserver modules compiled.

A word of warning - these boxes are designed to be foremost routers and WLAN AP and not a NAS so there isn't a lot of spare CPU/IO bandwidth - it is quite possible running slimserver will seriously affect routing and WLAN throughput.

grimholtz
2006-11-23, 08:50
The WRTSL54GS is a NAS that happens to be a router as well.I have a WRTSL54GS, and I believe it's a router that happens to be a NAS; i.e. it's a WRT54GS with a USB port slapped on and code to deal with that port. That's an important distinction in light bpa's comment. Why don't you get a QNAP of Kurobox as was previously suggested?

asher
2006-11-24, 16:23
...it's a router that happens to be a NAS. That's an important distinction in light bpa's comment.
You are correct - I stated the device's priorities backwards. I guess I am too enamored with possibilities these multi-purpose devices offer. I was originally looking for a networking device with USB support to host a Java VM for an unrelated project when I came across the WRTSL54GS. The question of whether it could be my Slimserver was more theoretical than practical. I was just curious to see if someone had tried. Certainly the QNAP or Kurobox make more sense. Still, I may give it a go.

grimholtz
2006-11-24, 16:42
You are correct - I stated the device's priorities backwards. I guess I am too enamored with possibilities these multi-purpose devices offer. I was originally looking for a networking device with USB support to host a Java VM for an unrelated project when I came across the WRTSL54GS. The question of whether it could be my Slimserver was more theoretical than practical. I was just curious to see if someone had tried. Certainly the QNAP or Kurobox make more sense. Still, I may give it a go.
OK, I understand. FWIW, you certainly can run the JVM on KurorBox/QNAP/etc. There are also things like Javelin (http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=JS1-IC), etc.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-24, 16:49
If the hardware is like the WRT54G, you have a 200 MHz Broadcom processor. That's quite weak for SlimServer.

Also a good chunk of the RAM/ROM is taken up by the various router functions.

If you already have this device, you could try (provided you're not scared of bricking it), but if you're planning on buying it for this purpose, look at the NSLU2 first.

bergek
2006-11-24, 17:06
NSLU2 are ARM based whereas WRT54G is a mipsel based processor. I think you need to install DDWRT first. Then see if there is a Perl (not microperl) for DDWRT or a similar router ASUS WL500G both of which are aimed at mipsel systems.

You might also want to look at OpenWRT. Both DD-WRT and OpenWRT support your device but OpenWRT has traditionally been command-line driven which may leave more memory for additional packages. Also, judging by the number of hits on Google, OpenWRT enjoys a larger following which could mean that the chances of a pre-compiled package are higher. At least OpenWRT supports microperl but I don't think it is enough for Slimserver.

bergek
2006-11-24, 17:17
If you already have this device, you could try (provided you're not scared of bricking it), but if you're planning on buying it for this purpose, look at the NSLU2 first.

If you do decide to flash it I would recommend you search the documentation for the distribution you choose for the setting "boot_wait" and enable it as soon as possible. The factory firmware probably doesn't expose this setting but most distributions you might want to flash it with, do. You want to enable "boot_wait" to increase your chances of rescuing the device in case you brick it.

grimholtz
2006-11-24, 21:04
boot_wait is enabled by default with the latest ddwrt release. i think it's 5 seconds.

gosa
2007-05-05, 02:59
What I am after, and what I think what you are asking, is whether anyone knows about running Slimserver on a Linksys WRTSL54GS. The WRTSL54GS is a NAS that happens to be a router as well. Given that some have Slimserver running on a NAS-only Linksys NSLU2 I assume doing the same on the WRTSL54GS is possible. I'll watch this thread along with doing some more research. The WRTSL54GS looks promising to me.

Any progress on this?
I.e. getting Slimserver to run on OpenWRT on a Linksys, ASUS or similar router.

Thx,
-G

grimholtz
2007-06-24, 17:33
Any progress on this?
I.e. getting Slimserver to run on OpenWRT on a Linksys, ASUS or similar router.

Thx,
-G

I don't think it's going to happen (reliably, anyway). Read this thread (http://scrutator.lo2k.net/uri35134-dd-wrt-2007-posts-forum-post.html). You might be better off using some other audio streaming software besides slimserver to talk to the SqueezeBox.