PDA

View Full Version : UK Transporter bundle, trial period, duty...

adamslim
2006-10-25, 01:41
If I order a Transporter in the UK from a local distributor, does it come with the SB3 bundled for 1,299? Do I get the same 30-day trial period?

Conversely, if I order direct from Slim in the US, do I have vast amounts of duty and VAT to pay? I imagine that duty would be payable on both SB3 and Transporter, which would get expensive.

Anyone with experience of these situations?

Adam

cparker
2006-10-25, 02:04
If I order a Transporter in the UK from a local distributor, does it come with the SB3 bundled for 1,299? Do I get the same 30-day trial period?

Conversely, if I order direct from Slim in the US, do I have vast amounts of duty and VAT to pay? I imagine that duty would be payable on both SB3 and Transporter, which would get expensive.

Anyone with experience of these situations?

Adam

I bought a SB3 but not a transporter, you get a good exchange rate, but will get "stung" by the courier UPS on behalf of her majesty's government :)

They wont release the goods until you pay the tax, normally what happens is the courier will turn up with the box in hand, you get excited then he/she tells you that you have to pay more to release it and wont give it to you. They then give you a card to phone their call centre with your credit card details to pay. Even though the courier can take payment by card themselves there and then, they are normally in "to much of a hurry mate" and wont wait. They come back the following day to hand it to you.

If you give a hard time to the driver they might be helpful take payment and save you the drama, or wait but most times not :(

Take a look here for more information about the cost;
http://www.slimdevices.com/ups.html

Good Luck

Patrick Dixon
2006-10-25, 03:29
You pay 17.5% VAT on the invoiced cost plus an 11 (+VAT) processing fee to UPS for each shipment. If you return it to the US that's non-refundable and you'll also have shipping costs to pay.

UPS drivers can take both cheques and CC on delivery.

PS. Don't expect UPS to calcuate the fees correctly, but they won't give you the goods until you pay what they want.

adamslim
2006-10-25, 03:56
You pay 17.5% VAT on the invoiced cost plus an 11 (+VAT) processing fee to UPS for each shipment. If you return it to the US that's non-refundable and you'll also have shipping costs to pay.

OK, so if I buy from Slim direct, then the 'free' trial costs shipping, VAT and fees - about 300 or so. Good old taxman. Is the free trial and the bundle deal available from UK distributors?

4mula1
2006-10-25, 05:02
Well that explains why UPS wouldn't deliver my mobile phone when it went to the UK for repair. I got a call from the manufacturer and they said UPS wanted another 20 pounds to deliver the package. Being that my employer was paying the tab I agreed, but it was always a mystery to me as to why on earth UPS never calculated the shipping cost properly. Now it makes sense.

So if I ship an item to the UK for repair, how do I label it so that I don't end up paying taxes on it?

Tom
2006-10-25, 05:07
> So if I ship an item to the UK for repair, how do I label it so that I
> don't end up paying taxes on it?

"Used merchandise to be repaired and returned to sender"

Tom

tomjtx
2006-10-25, 05:31
The VAT hurts doesn't it?
But at least you have universal health care and ( a very big plus) you don't have Bush :-)

ModelCitizen
2006-10-25, 06:35
When I worked out the costs, using 17.5% VAT (which of course you still have to pay on the locally supplied ones) and a 5% import duty it still worked out cheaper to get it from the States (at the current exchange rate). It also appears that at the moment you may get it quicker if ordered directly from SlimDevices... and you get a free SB3 (if this is still listed on the SD web page). As it comes with a UK plug buying it direct was a no-brainer for me.
MC

DrNic
2006-10-25, 08:44
The VAT hurts doesn't it?
But at least you have universal health care and ( a very big plus) you don't have Bush :-)

Yeah, thats the bonus of giving your wife an epilator for christmas... :)

(Sorry, I know its naughty but I couldn't resist!)

Nic

tomjtx
2006-10-25, 10:51
Yeah, thats the bonus of giving your wife an epilator for christmas... :)

(Sorry, I know its naughty but I couldn't resist!)

Nic

If only an epilator would solve our problems this side of the pond ( and I'm from Texas, were not all stupid:-)