PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 service stops sporadically

ModelCitizen
2006-10-25, 01:12
Hello,
6.5 is the only SlimServer version I've ever tried where the service just appears to stop intermittently for no reason at all.
I can't find any rhyme not reason to why/when it stops. It can stop over night very occasionally (may be due to nightly scan?), it can stop whilst I'm splayed out on the lounge floor deep into the music, it can stop when listening to BBC radio, it can stop when I open up a the gui in a browser on another machine (I use Fishbone Tan if it has any bearing). None of these are reproducible and none are constant.
I guess on average it crashes once every two days. Usually there is nothing in the Windows event viewer.

It crashed last night and there is an entry in the event viewer although I am very dubious as to whether it was produced at the time of the crash. Here it is:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT contributor.id, contributor.name, contributor.namesort, contributor.moodlogic_id, contributor.moodlogic_mixable, contributor.musicmagic_mixable, contributor.namesearch, contributor.musicbrainz_id FROM contributor_track me JOIN contributors contributor ON ( contributor.id = me.contributor ) WHERE ( ( ( role IN ( ?, ? ) ) AND ( me.track = ? ) ) ) GROUP BY contributor.id ORDER BY role desc': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: File 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_410_0.MYD' not found (Errcode: 13) at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.

I don't use Music Logic or Music Brainz.
Other things in the event viewer (produced at different times) that I have no idea whether they are to do with SlimServer or not are:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: CreateService failed: The specified service already exists

and

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): rows attribute must be positive if present at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 30

and

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't call method "displayAsHTML" on an undefined value at /PerlApp/Slim/Web/Pages/Status.pm line 153.

and a few of these

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT contributor.id, contributor.name, contributor.namesort, contributor.moodlogic_id, contributor.moodlogic_mixable, contributor.musicmagic_mixable, contributor.namesearch, contributor.musicbrainz_id FROM contributor_track me JOIN contributors contributor ON ( contributor.id = me.contributor ) WHERE ( ( ( role IN ( ?, ? ) ) AND ( me.track = ? ) ) ) GROUP BY contributor.id ORDER BY role desc': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_fb4_0.MYI' (Errcode: 17) at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.

and lots of these:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: CreateService failed: The specified service already exists

And also a couple of "Slimserver Service hung on starting".

I must stress that I have no idea if these occured at the time that the service stopped.

When I first replcaed 6.3.1 with a 6.5 beta (what seems like years ago). I did a completely new uninstall and install, deleting the Program Files/Slimserver directory. Since then I've done at least two completely clean installs of 6.5.

I'm on XP and using the 6.5.1 nightlies (this last crash happened with last night's nightly). The random SlimServer service stops have abeen happening ever since I first installed 6.5. At least one cause of the problem at one time seemed to be the Music Info plugin.

I run these plugins (all 6.5 verion):

AlienBBC
Music Info
Last FM
SlimScrobbler
Lazy Search (only installed this recently, crashes occured before it was installed)

I've disabled the majority of the plugins that come with the SlimServer installtion, leaving only:

CLI
Date and Time
Random mix
Rescan Music library
Save Playlist

I run Nod32 and have excluded .myi files from the scan.

Any help appreciated (or even any "Me too's"!).

Thanks
MC

mherger
2006-10-25, 01:33
> failed: File 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_410_0.MYD' not found (Errcode: 13)
> at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm
> line 771.

Please have your antivirus (McAfee by chance?) ignore MY* files

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

Craig, James (IT)
2006-10-25, 02:04
> Please have your antivirus (McAfee by chance?) ignore MY* files

If it is McAfee I had to uninstall it to get SlimServer to work
properly...

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error.

ModelCitizen
2006-10-25, 08:51
I run Nod 32 virus scanner (only) and already exclude .myi files from the scan. I'll try excluding .my* now and see what happens.
Thanks.
MC.

mherger
2006-10-25, 11:21
> I run Nod 32 virus scanner (only) and already exclude .myi files from
> the scan. I'll try excluding .my* now and see what happens.

Please do so: it's complaining about .myd, too. Let us know how you do.

--

Michael

ModelCitizen
2006-10-25, 13:10
Just in case this was missed... and bearing in mind that there was someone who thought it was Fishbone that caused their crash of 6.5.1... and that the only time I have performed an action at the exact time 6.5.1 service crashed (i.e. opened up Fishone on secondary machine) what does this (from Windows event log) mean:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't call method "displayAsHTML" on an undefined value at /PerlApp/Slim/Web/Pages/Status.pm line 153.

MC

momaxpalmer
2006-10-25, 16:53
I'm having the same sporadic problem. Sometimes when the device should be in an "off" state, the screen's black like it's unplugged. Other times it just shuts off (goes black) in the middle of a song.

I get it restarted by restarting SlimSever on my PC.

Annoying. Hope there's a fix soon.

vacaboca
2006-10-25, 19:16
I've updated a few times to nightly builds, hoping it would stop - I get the errors in the event log (windows xp sp2, currently running last night's (10/25 1am?) build) that mention an inability to create a .my* file in either *my* temp directory (C:\Documents & Settings\<my username\Local Settings...), or sometimes in Random Mix it tries to create a temp file under C:\Windows\Temp... I haven't been running any antivirus for 3-4 months, having uninstalled McAfee completely after their last upgrade, so it can't be that. I've been at a loss to do anything aside from start slimserver up again, kinda hoping that the issue would magically fix itself :)

I'd love to be able to specify a temp folder/drive for use by mySQL and slim...

Yannzola
2006-10-25, 20:23
I'm having the same sporadic problem. Sometimes when the device should be in an "off" state, the screen's black like it's unplugged. Other times it just shuts off (goes black) in the middle of a song.

I get it restarted by restarting SlimSever on my PC.

Annoying. Hope there's a fix soon.

Me too. Latest nightly. Default web interface is Fishbone. Running Avast virus protection. Just now set it to ignore *.my* files... fingers crossed.

tjdebon
2006-10-25, 23:24
I too was beset with the sporadic, and sometimes very frequent, SlimServer stoppage with few, and possibly unrelated, messages in Event Viewer. (Running WinXP). I turned off McAfee virus scan for .myi, .myd, my* and the entire SlimServer and MySQL directories with no impact on the issue. Finally, upon someone else's recommendation, I stopped Windows Media Connect and now SlimServer (6.5.1, ~1 week old nightly) has been running for several days.

I'd like to be able to run both WMC and SlimServer but for the time being I manually start the needed service. Apparently WMC and SlimServer are not compatible.

mherger
2006-10-25, 23:29
> I'd like to be able to run both WMC and SlimServer but for the time
> being I manually start the needed service. Apparently WMC and
> SlimServer are not compatible.

Have you tried turning of the Rhapsody plugin in Slimserver or starting
Slimserver with the --noupnp parameter?

--

Michael

Yannzola
2006-10-26, 16:39
Me too. Latest nightly. Default web interface is Fishbone. Running Avast virus protection. Just now set it to ignore *.my* files... fingers crossed.

Well... I'm still crashing. However I did manage to get some hopefully informative (?) Event Viewer log messages (see below).
NOTE: I was using Erlands Trackstat and Dynamic Playlists at the time. Random Songs to be exact. The crash occured right after the end of a track, and was followed by increased HDD activity (re-scan?).

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 10/26/2006
Time: 4:29:43 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MEDIACENTER
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't call method "rating" on an undefined value at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/TrackStat/Plugin.pm line 3047.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MySQL
Event ID: 100
Time: 4:29:46 PM
Description:
C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\Bin\MSWIN3~1\mysqld.ex e: Normal shutdown

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://www.mysql.com.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MySQL
Event ID: 100
Time: 4:29:52 PM
Description:
C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\Bin\MSWIN3~1\mysqld.ex e: Shutdown complete

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://www.mysql.com.

Yannzola
2006-10-26, 16:47
I too was beset with the sporadic, and sometimes very frequent, SlimServer stoppage with few, and possibly unrelated, messages in Event Viewer. (Running WinXP). I turned off McAfee virus scan for .myi, .myd, my* and the entire SlimServer and MySQL directories with no impact on the issue. Finally, upon someone else's recommendation, I stopped Windows Media Connect and now SlimServer (6.5.1, ~1 week old nightly) has been running for several days.

Hmmm... Unfortunately I don't have WMC installed. Unless it isn't showing up in Services for some reason?

vacaboca
2006-10-26, 19:33
I was excited to read about Windows Media Connect being a conflict, figure it was something I could shut down as I'd never heard of it and assumed I didn't use it - but I don't see it in the Services management console, so I'm guessing it's not something I actually have running after all :(

ModelCitizen
2006-10-29, 11:19
Just thought I'd better write back to this thread.
Since I added the exclusion for .my* files to my virus scanner SlimServer 6.5.1 has stayed up. It didn't stay up when I had added just .myl to the exclusion list.
Thanks all.
MC

Yannzola
2006-10-29, 11:25
I beleive my problem was related to a bug (now fixed) in the Trackstat plugin. So far so good.