PDA

View Full Version : Making Slimserver run fast

howard_newkirk
2006-10-24, 14:01
I am using an Infrant NAS/NV which has Slimserver running on it. As I access it via IE7 from my PC the response is very slow - maybe 5-10 seconds per page. Would I be better off and have a much faster setup if I ran Slimserver on a dedicated XP PC and had it access the music from the NAS?

azinck3
2006-10-24, 14:06
I am using an Infrant NAS/NV which has Slimserver running on it. As I access it via IE7 from my PC the response is very slow - maybe 5-10 seconds per page. Would I be better off and have a much faster setup if I ran Slimserver on a dedicated XP PC and had it access the music from the NAS?

Whether you'd be better off is up to you to decide as that involves many factors. But from a pure speed standpoint there's no doubt that a dedicated PC will be much faster than a NAS. You'll be fine leaving you music on the NAS; the slowdown is not due to the hard disk but rather the CPU and memory. You might be able to optimize your setup by reducing the # of plugins that you load, but you're still never going to approach the performance of a PC.

dwc
2006-10-24, 14:07
a much faster setup if I ran Slimserver on a dedicated XP PC and had it access the music from the NAS?

Yes, the database needs RAM and CPU to run.