PDA

View Full Version : Age appropriate subsets via? Multiple SlimServers or?

Aimsport
2006-10-23, 11:54
Newbie question.

I would like to limit two SqueezeBox3s to a subset of my FLAC ripped CD collection (for age appropriate playback).

I wouldn't mind making separate subdirectories as a workaround as long as I can figure out how to assign a subdirectory to a specific SB3.

If it's running multiple slimservers, how does one multiple slimservers on the same box and give them different directories per SB3?

Help. How does one achieve this?

Platform is Windows 2000 ThinkPad with a 700Gig external firewire drive.

jonheal
2006-10-24, 04:54
A possible solution would be to run a startup script that copied different versions of the slimserver.pref to the SlimServer\server folder, depending on who is logged in.

There are two requirements for this to work:
1. Your kids would need their own login username apart from yours.
2. The startup script would have to execute before Windows starts its services. That's the part I'm not sure about. I don't know when during the startup process startup scripts execute.

thing-fish
2006-10-24, 09:54
I would like to limit two SqueezeBox3s to a subset of my FLAC ripped CD collection (for age appropriate playback)...<snip>Help. How does one achieve this?

You could achieve this with SlimServer's built-in support of the MusicIP Mixer. The MusicIP Mixer http://www.musicip.com/mixer/index.jsp lets you set up filters, and then through the SlimServer interface you can assign a specific filter to a specific Squeezebox. I don't know is whether it would prevent the user from browsing the whole catalog. It DOES work to keep the Frank Zappa out of my wife's SoftSqueeze playlists and the George Michael out of mine, and might be worth it for you to experiment with.