PDA

View Full Version : Reference Tracks

ob_kook
2006-10-22, 21:20
Hi all, I've made some improvements to my system which I think (hope!!) will be significant, and I am wondering if any of you have any favorite reference tracks that you find to be pretty revealing?

Any genre is fine as my tastes are all over the place, but I'd like to find a few tracks that are particuarly well engineered and touch some of the sonic extremes. Any input welcomed!

THanks,

Kook

tomsi42
2006-10-23, 06:14
Some of my top picks are:

Steely Dan - Cousin Dupree
Ana Popovic - Navajo Moon
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pin Alley
Nils Lofgren - Keith Don't Go (from Acoustic Live)
Kari Bremnes - anything she has made ;)

Tom

random_tox
2006-10-23, 13:24
Nine Inch Nails, 'Burn' from Natural Born Killers OST.
Tchaikovsky, 1812 overture, with cannons and chorus, find it on a good label.
Strauss, Also Sprach Zarathustra. (Extremities!)
Dead Can Dance, Cantara, from Toward the Within.
Tabla Beat Science with DJ Disk, Tala Matrix, from Live @ Stern Grove.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-23, 14:11
I hesitated because I thought you'd laugh at me, but:

- Ashley MacIsaac, Sleepy Maggie

Bass, rich female vocals, rapid stringed instrumentation, loads and loads of spatialization/localization cues.

ob_kook
2006-10-23, 20:43
Tabla Beat Science with DJ Disk, Tala Matrix, from Live @ Stern Grove.

Excellent selections - looking forward to trying some of these out. Thanks all!

random_tox - Are you from the Bay Area? I live almost within walking distance of Stern Grove (the "OB" in my handle stands for Ocean Beach) and have seen many of their free summer concert series there, but had no idea that they recorded it.

Where can you get this disk?

Kook

random_tox
2006-10-24, 21:48
random_tox - Are you from the Bay Area?
Where can you get this disk?

Kook

Not from the bay unless you count a few years in Sunnyvale as a wee lad. Salt Lake.

Tabla Beat Science has a studio CD and the above mentioned live 2xCD or DVD. Haven't seen the DVD (just haven't gotten around to buying it...bet it's incredible) but can recommend the CDs. All are easy to locate online. Used or new. Amazon, Half... But you could probably save another buck or two at a local used shop.

I think Bill Laswell put the project together. I Got into them through collecting Karsh Kale stuff. The tabla is about the craziest hand drum set to see or hear. I couldn't begin to play one. Produces an amazing variety of tones.

peejay
2006-10-24, 22:18
Tori Amos - 'Father Lucifer' off Boys for Pele. Some very subtle piano - listen for the pedal noise, generally very wide dynamic range. Her husband is her recording engineer - that's how serious it gets........

RainmanRam
2006-11-25, 10:02
I find just about anything by Peter Gabriel or Colin James to make for good references. Many of either's tracks contain quite a bit of detail, highs, lows, mids as well as being high quality productions. I've been able to detect quite a few flaws in DAC's using them.

In particular:

Peter Gabriel:

Sledgehammer (So)
In Your Eyes (So)
Big Time (So) (in particular the intro with the feedback and him saying "High There!")
Steam (Us)
Diggin In The Dirt (Us)
Kiss That Frog (Us) -- bass response/crossover

Colin James:

Saviour (Bad Habits)
Freedom (Bad Habits)
Better Days (Bad Habits)
Bad Habits (Bad Habits)
Mary Anne (CJ and the Big Band) - piano
Tin Pan Alley (CJ and the Big Band)
Hide (Fuse)
Mystery to Me (Fuse)
Far Away Like a Radio (Fuse)
I'm Losing You (Traveler)
Make a Mistake (Traveler)
I Know what Love is (Traveler)

- Ray

totoro
2006-11-25, 11:30
Track 3 on Biber: Violin Sonatas by Romanesca (prelude to sonata 2). Chamber orchestra, with a lot of baroque violin and an organ playing pedal tones.

Pavane from Triangle by Arild Andersen. Nicely recorded jazz quartet (piano, drums bass). Particularly nice upright bass solo, recorded well enough that you can hear some string noise (tests driver integration pretty well :)).

Blues Dream from the Bill Frisell record of the same name. Nice slide guitar, trumpet, a fair amount of upright bass, a fair amount of dynamic range.

Patrick Dixon
2006-11-25, 11:41
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pin Alley

Which version?

(Yes I know, they're all good)

tomsi42
2006-11-25, 13:41
Which version?

(Yes I know, they're all good)

The one I am using is the one on "Couldn't stand the weather" It's the song that introduced me to Stevie.

The Ana Popovic track is in the same vein. Sound great when played LOUD!

msiebach
2006-12-19, 18:46
I like the album "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits. Tracks 'Money For Nothing' and 'Your Latest Trick' always bring a smile to my face when I listen to them.

There are some great suggestions in this thread. I am going to have to check them out on Rhapsody to decide if I want to buy.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-19, 19:22
I like the album "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits. Tracks 'Money For Nothing' and 'Your Latest Trick' always bring a smile to my face when I listen to them.

An excellent song from Dire Straights off their earlier album, Making Movies, is Romeo and Juliet. The resonator guitar used at the beginning sounds incredible and really shows off the finesse of a system since the harmonics are so complex (metallic yet echoey with a twangy high frequency component).

peejay
2006-12-19, 22:37
An excellent song from Dire Straights off their earlier album, Making Movies, is Romeo and Juliet. The resonator guitar used at the beginning sounds incredible and really shows off the finesse of a system since the harmonics are so complex (metallic yet echoey with a twangy high frequency component).

Or 'Love over Gold', from 'Love over Gold'. Exquisite clarity.

Phil Leigh
2006-12-21, 03:51
The first DS album is a really good test of a systems ability to accurately resolve melodic bass lines. Try "Six Blade Knife" for example...the bass note pitch on the risng riff should be easy to hear with no boominess and the snare drum hits need to be crisp but not piercing. Also, Mr. Knopfler should sound like he is in your room with the band.

PhilNYC
2006-12-21, 06:10
Hi all, I've made some improvements to my system which I think (hope!!) will be significant, and I am wondering if any of you have any favorite reference tracks that you find to be pretty revealing?

Any genre is fine as my tastes are all over the place, but I'd like to find a few tracks that are particuarly well engineered and touch some of the sonic extremes. Any input welcomed!

THanks,

Kook

Here's a few:

American Beauty Original Soundtrack (track 1 - deep/rich bass, very well-recorded variety of percussion, terrific imaging/soundstaging)
Roger Waters - Amused to Death (track #3 - q-sound 3D effects)
Brian Bromberg - Wood (track #8 - solo acoustic bass)
Fairfield Four - I Couldn't Hear Nobody Pray (track #1 - acapella vocal group, with an amazing bass singer)
Chris Isaak - Forever Blue (track #1 - good vocals and undistorted electric guitar)
Carmen Fantasie performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter (track #6 - some amazingly delicate and refined solo violin)
Gladiator Original Soundtrack (track 3 - dynamic and complex symphonic music which sounds like garbage if your system isn't fast and coherent, but great if your systm is)

Skunk
2006-12-30, 11:42
Is this ^ thing serious?

bflatmajor
2006-12-30, 15:22
Stanley Clark
Al Dimeola
Jean Luc Ponty... or Jean Luc Piccard :-)

Anyway, three guys, bass, guitar and violin.

Excellent dynamics..

Recoveryone
2006-12-30, 22:19
Stanley Clark: School days

jeffluckett
2007-01-01, 11:12
I'm listening to David Byrne's "Feelings" album over the new Grado SR80s I got for X-mass.

This album has been sitting dormant in my library for some time now ... glad I dug it out ... beautiful, dynamic recording. This one won't go forgotten for this long again.

tomsi42
2007-01-02, 15:35
Is this ^ thing serious?

I suspect it is "Subtle" spam. Look at all of yelena66's posts and they follow a pattern...

Tom