PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Web Interface causes stuttering with sync'd SB3 & Slimp3

alextegg
2006-10-21, 05:29
Hi,

I have my old Slimpy in the attic sync'ed up with my new Squeezebox 3 in the living room to give round house audio, and that's great.

However, since 6.5 I've noticed that any use of the web interface causes the Slimp3 to stutter, this doesn't happen to the SB3. I presume this is because the SB3 has bigger buffers, but obviously it's not very impressive.

Is there anything I can do to stop it happening?

TIA

Alex

alextegg
2006-10-22, 10:00
No one else has a Slimp3 and a SB3 with stuttering happening on the Slimp3 but not on the SB3?

Ben Sandee
2006-10-22, 10:47
On 10/22/06, alextegg <
alextegg.2g39ub1161536701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> No one else has a Slimp3 and a SB3 with stuttering happening on the
> Slimp3 but not on the SB3?

I have them both but I don't sync them, sorry. I track the 6.5.x nightlies
on Debian Linux.

Ben

alextegg
2006-10-22, 15:01
Ben,

Thanks. you should sync them,it's cool! (when it works correctly!)

Anyone out there who does do this?

Alex

bpa
2006-10-22, 15:32
If you using Mac or Linux then under Server Setting / Performance - there is an option at the end to fork the Web server which you could try.

alextegg
2006-10-23, 01:30
No, windoze I'm afraid.

This performance issue is specific to the Slimp3, the SB3 is fine, so I'd assume I want some setting that is player specific, not server?

slimpy
2006-10-23, 02:02
There's probably not much you can do about it. The problem is the small buffer in the slimp3.
I have a slimp3 and sb2 and use them synced together sometimes. I only get dropouts on the slimp3 when browsing artwork pages with more than just a couple of covers to display (e.g. browse by album). This also happens when the slimp3 isn't synced to any other player. This is on a 800MHz headless linux server with web server forking enabled and streaming mp3 transcoded from flac.

-s.

alextegg
2006-10-24, 02:58
Surely this can't be right? There must be some setting somewhere or something that can be done?

Putting aside the syncing with the SB3 then, as that's in itself works, and the SB3 works fine on its own, there would seem to be a simple problem.

With 6.5.1 onwards, at least, since the introduction of cover art I cannot use the web interface to browse albums without causing the slimp3 to stutter, the sync'ing with the SB3 is a red herring as it happens without it.

Doesn't that render the cover art functionality unacceptable? I think it does in my book. At the very least use of the web interface should be a lower priority separate thread to the streaming to the player. I don't mind if the web ui is slower, but I _definitely_ don't want stuttering playback?

Will this get fixed?

Alex

slimpy
2006-10-24, 03:57
Surely this can't be right? There must be some setting somewhere or something that can be done?

Putting aside the syncing with the SB3 then, as that's in itself works, and the SB3 works fine on its own, there would seem to be a simple problem.
Yes, it's very simple. The web request uses all the cpu power, streaming gets interrupted, slimp3 cannot recover because its buffer is not large enough.

With 6.5.1 onwards, at least, since the introduction of cover art I cannot use the web interface to browse albums without causing the slimp3 to stutter, the sync'ing with the SB3 is a red herring as it happens without it.Cover art was there long before 6.5. Why don't you use the list view instead of cover view when browsing by albums?

Doesn't that render the cover art functionality unacceptable? I think it does in my book. At the very least use of the web interface should be a lower priority separate thread to the streaming to the player. I don't mind if the web ui is slower, but I _definitely_ don't want stuttering playback?Slimp3 has its limitations. There is no problem with newer players due to larger buffers. Slimdevices do a great job by still supporting even their very first product. But I don't think it is reasonable to expect the same performance from a slimp3 and a sb3. Most other companies would have just dropped support for their earlier products to make you buy their latest and greatest.
On mac and linux you can already fork web requests to a seperate process. On low power systems this might not be sufficient (see my previous post).

Will this get fixed?
Did you file a bug report at http://bugs.slimdevices.com ?

-s.

alextegg
2006-10-24, 06:15
But I don't think it is reasonable to expect the same performance from a slimp3 and a sb3?

-s.

I don't but I do expect streaming to be given the highest priority. I get the stuttering to a lesser extent without the use of the cover art sometimes.

If the separate fork process definitely eradicates the problem, I'd consider using a linux server. Can anyone confirm this?

alextegg
2006-10-24, 06:17
Did you file a bug report at http://bugs.slimdevices.com ?

-s.

You seem to be suggesting this was 'by design' not a bug? If it is supposed to work this way, no point filing the bug, it's just disappointing. If it is supposed to be the streaming that holds up the web delivery, then I will file immediately!?!

Ben Sandee
2006-10-24, 06:41
On 10/24/06, alextegg <
alextegg.2g6orb1161696002 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> slimpy;149312 Wrote:
> >
> >
> > Did you file a bug report at http://bugs.slimdevices.com ?
> >
> > -s.
>
> You seem to be suggesting this was 'by design' not a bug? If it is
> supposed to work this way, no point filing the bug, it's just
> disappointing. If it is supposed to be the streaming that holds up the
> web delivery, then I will file immediately!?!

No, it's not by design. You can file a bug -- but just be aware that the
developer priorities may be in other areas. It might be cheaper for
everyone if we all chipped in and bought you a new CPU. :-)

FWIW I have a 2ghz Athlon64 processor on my Linux server -- the cheapest I
could find! I never get dropouts on my slimp3s. Your server simply may not
be up to the task of running the newest software.

Ben

slimpy
2006-10-24, 07:09
You seem to be suggesting this was 'by design' not a bug? If it is supposed to work this way, no point filing the bug, it's just disappointing. If it is supposed to be the streaming that holds up the web delivery, then I will file immediately!?!
I didn't say this was by design. You asked if this will get fixed and my reply was to ask you if you filed a bug report. Posting in the forums won't get your problem on any watch list. By filing a bug report you can make sure that someone at slimdevices will notice. They can then decide if and when they want to fix this.

-s.

slimpy
2006-10-24, 07:28
I don't but I do expect streaming to be given the highest priority. I get the stuttering to a lesser extent without the use of the cover art sometimes.

If the separate fork process definitely eradicates the problem, I'd consider using a linux server. Can anyone confirm this?As posted previously: On a 800MHz linux server with web server forking enabled my slimp3 still stutters when (and only when) browsing by album (icon view).

-s.

alextegg
2006-10-24, 07:53
FWIW I have a 2ghz Athlon64 processor on my Linux server -- the cheapest I
could find! I never get dropouts on my slimp3s. Your server simply may not
be up to the task of running the newest software.

Ben

Hmm, my machine is not cr@p, but it's not that spec. I have a 1.4Ghz processor with 1Gb RAM, but it is running windoze :-)

Perhaps I will try it on a Linux setup and see if that makes the problem go away.