PDA

View Full Version : How does Slim server scan your library?

byteme45
2006-10-19, 21:13
I've been ripping my collection using AutoFLAC and EAC for the better part of 3 weeks now and I've got a question about how SS scans libraries. Does it use the Cue sheets that are created? Because in the two specific cases below I've run across some issues I'd like to get fixed.

There are a couple discs I ripped that when started I didn't recognize that it had select artist name of (for example) Beatles, The vs. The Beatles. Not knowing what would happen I cut and pasted the albums from Beatles, The into the "The Beatles" folder. They still show separately and I'd obviously rather have them all in the same folder under "The Beatles"

Also, when I have a sync error in EAC and re-rip that track(s) it ends up showing twice in the album browse list, once with all the tracks that ripped the first time, and once with those that had to be re-ripped. Is there any way to solve this and get all that are on a single album listed together?

thanks!

Dougal
2006-10-20, 01:15
Hi,
A "clear and rescan" should remove the phantom tracks.

Ensure Artist tag is the same for all artists.

With EAC there should normally be no need to re-rip tracks that show sync errors (not uncommon), as EAC has some error correction ability if configured in secure mode.

Doug.

byteme45
2006-10-20, 04:28
I do have it configured in secure mode. When a sync error shows up typically EAC just sits and spins the disc but doesn't get anywhere so as soon as I see a sync error I skip the track and re-rip once it's finished with the disc. 99% of the time it rips fine on the 2nd pass.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-20, 06:34
I do have it configured in secure mode. When a sync error shows up typically EAC just sits and spins the disc but doesn't get anywhere so as soon as I see a sync error I skip the track and re-rip once it's finished with the disc. 99% of the time it rips fine on the 2nd pass.

That sounds strange? If an error is there it should always be there?

Anyway, you may want to rip to a directory outside of SlimServer's music directory. Let EAC do its thing and write a log file if it encounters errors.

The log file indicates where the errors are. I play this back on my PC - if I can hear defects at the errors I inspect the disc for scratches and repair them with a CD repair kit. Works every time, even on very damaged discs. The only damage you can't repair is a crack or if the reflective surface is damaged.

Since the discs are ripped outside of SlimServer's music directory, you have to purposefully place the album inside SlimServer's music directory once you're satisfied with it. I don't usually rescan, I just use Browse Music Folder to find it, which adds it to the database.

jeffluckett
2006-10-20, 06:57
Since the discs are ripped outside of SlimServer's music directory, you have to purposefully place the album inside SlimServer's music directory once you're satisfied with it. I don't usually rescan, I just use Browse Music Folder to find it, which adds it to the database.

I don't usually manually rescan, but I do have my server configured to scan for changes daily in the wee hours.

If I add something to the library that I want to listen to immediately, I use folder browse. However, I'm usually adding batches of albums at a time, so I just let the daily scan pick them up.