PDA

View Full Version : Number of viewers increasing

MeridianMan
2006-10-19, 09:44
Anyone else notice that since yesterday's announcement of the Logitech acquisition of SD, that the number of viewers at any given time in the General Discussion has increased dramatically? Typically about 30 viewers pre-acquisition - right now it's hit 165! I think this is great news for the community.

bklaas
2006-10-19, 09:51
a hyperlink direct to the forums from gizmodo will do that to you. kind of like getting slashdotted, we got gizmodoed.

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/logitech-buys-slim-devices-promises-autonomy-208640.php

TiredLegs
2006-10-19, 09:54
Probably Logitech shareholders searching for skeletons in the closet. Poking around in support forums can sometimes uncover all manner of issues that management hasn't discussed with investors. (This is not to imply that's the case with Slim Devices.) From an end user standpoint, I find it remarkable and commendable that the CEO is an active participate in the support forums.

kdf
2006-10-19, 10:06
Quoting bklaas <bklaas.2fxpdn1161276901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> a hyperlink direct to the forums from gizmodo will do that to you. kind
> of like getting slashdotted, we got gizmodoed.

slashdotted too...
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/18/2229206

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-19, 10:20
Also I've seen some infrequent and new posters in that thread, so it is attracting attention.

P.S. That Gizmodo article has a hilarious comment:

samLD says:

Slimbox how could you?!?! Since we met, you have been my lover and......my best friend. Now you tell me you've found someone else? Well let me tell you something, Logitech doesn't know how to treat you like I do, he's just using you because he thinks you have a sexy look.

Just tell me one thing.... sure Logitech has more muscle, but can Logitech, late at night when you're feeling that "urge," twiddle your open source code as I do? Wait....don't tell me, I don't want to know!

LOL!

bklaas
2006-10-19, 10:21
Quoting bklaas <bklaas.2fxpdn1161276901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:
slashdotted too...
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/18/2229206

wow, the slashdot comments are so negative it make our logitech thread look like a happy-fun parade. guess you'd expect that from the g33k crowd...

I for one have shifted my personal feelings about the acquisition from 100% negative to 96% negative. That's a 4% increase in positivity!

#!/ben

Michaelwagner
2006-10-19, 17:41
Rather odd wording, this (at least I find)

The company responsible for such streaming-audio goodness as the Transporter and Squeezebox is set to suckle from the Logitech marketing teat

also a bit odd for use of language

According to [...] Adams, every last man jack on his staff has accepted the new gig

I think the last time I heard the expression "every last man jack" was about 1962.....

JJZolx
2006-10-19, 18:07
wow, the slashdot comments are so negative it make our logitech thread look like a happy-fun parade. guess you'd expect that from the g33k crowd...

I for one have shifted my personal feelings about the acquisition from 100% negative to 96% negative. That's a 4% increase in positivity!
I'm still right around 100% negative. Whatever. Logitech makes mostly throway junk with poor to zero support and an even worse track record for crappy software, but if they wanted to give me $20 million for my company, I'd sell out too. I don't see the fit at all, particularly with the Transporter, but Hell, I wouldn't blame them if they had sold the f**king company to Taco Bell.

I think the open software angle has pretty much run its course with Slim Devices anyway. You can probably count the outside developers on one hand at this point, so I'll be curious to see how much effort those guys put forth now that they'll be working mostly for Logitech's stockholders.

It'll be interesting to see the evolution on the software side of things. Despite the assurances of continued support for Linux and the seeming desire to keep it all web server based, I can't see that in a consumer product sold at Best Buy and Walmart and wherever else Logitech sells their trinkets. I predict that within the foreseeable future (a couple years) that the software will become Windows-only, proprietary, non-web based and that all of the current software developers will have left in disgust.

kdf
2006-10-19, 20:16
On 19-Oct-06, at 6:07 PM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> bklaas;147820 Wrote:
>> wow, the slashdot comments are so negative it make our logitech thread
>> look like a happy-fun parade. guess you'd expect that from the g33k
>> crowd...
>>
>> I for one have shifted my personal feelings about the acquisition from
>> 100% negative to 96% negative. That's a 4% increase in positivity!
> I'm still right around 100% negative.
so...nothing changed then, eh jim?

joncourage
2006-10-19, 20:44
Oh, look, over there. Yeah, there, in the corner of the garage. A box full of tangled cables and spent, cheap plastic crap emblazened with the Logitech logo. The future resting place of our (now beloved) SB's?

I appreciate the cute optimism of many of the posters (altho the unashamed and relentless Slim Co. butt-kissing is a bit over the top), but there is a profound naivete in many of these optimistic posts.

Sean did a great deal of due-diligence in "picking" Logitech? C'mon, give me a break. He probably almost pissed himself when their M&A suit first called him.

Mutual wanking and platitudes, mostly pure BS, pervade the early days of a marriage like this. Meanwhile all parties know (at least the ones leading the dance) that all bets are off as soon as the transaction is consummated.

The promises and committments of corporate executives in these situations are worth less than those of campaigning politicians. The only reason the truth isn't told is that they don't want to cause undue risk to running off key employees or unnecessarily alienating the existing customer-base (= cash-flow) during the transitional period.

Logitech's Board and executive mgt could not care less about what the people on this forum have to say here - they aren't projecting based on the paultry numbers this community represents (they probably get a good laugh that you all think they do tho), this is all about mass-market opportunity and market-share domination.

How long before your Squeezebox ends up under that force-feedback joystick?

radish
2006-10-19, 20:52
Whilst I share some concerns with you, I'm not ready to write Slim off just yet. Your last line confuses me though - what makes you think my squeezeboxes and transporter are suddenly going to stop working just because the company that made them has changed hands? I don't care if they never release another patch or update - mine do everything I need already.

Michaelwagner
2006-10-19, 20:53
Some of the very strong opinions being expressed here seem a bit out of place.

The boxes we have now are supported by open source code. The protocols they use are documented.

At the very least, our current boxes will continue to work, and we can support them ourselves if necessary.

You never had any stronger committment ... Slim might have folded, might have gone into a different marketplace, might have dropped the line, might have turned into another Turtle Beach. In high tech, there's no such thing as huge stability.

You have as much stability now in the open source code and documented protocols as you ever had, had Slim stayed independent.

So at the very worst, the future is no worse than previously. And with some money in it's pocket, Logitech might even help Slim out.

Mitch Harding
2006-10-19, 21:01
I couldn't agree more. I have a working level of Slimserver and two (three
in a few days) working Squeezeboxes (SB1, SB2, and SB3). While I hope (and
believe) that Slim Devices will continue to make good products, that won't
affect how I enjoy my current Squeezeboxes.

On 10/19/06, radish <radish.2fyjxn1161316501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Whilst I share some concerns with you, I'm not ready to write Slim off
> just yet. Your last line confuses me though - what makes you think my
> squeezeboxes and transporter are suddenly going to stop working just
> because the company that made them has changed hands? I don't care if
> they never release another patch or update - mine do everything I need
> already.
>
>
> --
> radish
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> radish's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=77
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=28853
>
>

Michaelwagner
2006-10-19, 21:08
To believe that, having read only the introduction, you already know the whole story of the future of Slim & Logitech is to believe there is nothing unique or different about either company.

Do you?

So why did you buy a Squeezebox?