PDA

View Full Version : Problems with version 6.5.1 10386

norderney
2006-10-18, 16:58
I have just upgraded to version 6.5.1 10386 for Windows - Slimserver_6.5_v2006-10-18.

Initially it seemed to work ok, however SlimServer keeps trying to rescan my database automatically, and then fails with a windows xp error message saying "Scanner.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close".
Is there an automatic rescan option within SlimServer? If there is how do I disable it?
Also, doing a manual rescan - Clear library and rescan, also crashes after a few minutes!!!

Also if I select the SlimServer icon on my PC it says The page cannot be displayed, although I can access the web page on my wireless Dell Axim Pocket PC!!! The URL on my PC web page is http://localhost:9000/. I have also tried replacing localhost with my ip address which makes no difference.
Could it be a problem with my Firewall? I use Norton Internet Security 2006. Are there any settings within it I should check?

norderney
2006-10-19, 00:04
I have just un-installed SlimSever software and re-installed version 6.5.1 10386 2006-10-18, and I am still unable to access the web browser on my PC, and the scanning process fails after a few minutes !!!

Is anybody else having problems with this particular version?

I am running on Windows XP.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

norderney
2006-10-19, 00:10
Is it possible to pick up a different Nightly update, perhaps from a couple of days ago to see if this makes any difference?

kdf
2006-10-19, 00:11
On 19-Oct-06, at 12:04 AM, norderney wrote:

>
> I have just un-installed SlimSever software and re-installed version
> 6.5.1 10386 2006-10-18, and I am still unable to access the web browser
> on my PC, and the scanning process fails after a few minutes !!!
>
anything in the event viewer? not much anyone can do without something
more specific.

if there isn't anything, try running command-line with the service
stopped:
c:\program files\slimserver\server\slim.exe --d_scan --d_info --d_import

let it scan and see if it stops on the same song each time, or if any
errors come up when it crashes.
-kdf

bpa
2006-10-19, 00:13
try
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/

norderney
2006-10-19, 01:01
I went into Event Viewer and looked under System and found "Warning WinDefend".
Opening this up I get Windefend has detected spyware or other potentially unwanted software. Then it says
Path Found service slimsvc:file c:\Program Files\Slimserver\server\slim.exe
Alert type unknown.

There is an error in Application as well. The description for EventID (0) in source (application) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the registry information or message DLL to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flagto retrieve this this description

Also, Warning My SQL. Can't open or lock time zone table. Table "mysql.time_zone_leap_second" doesn't exist trying to live without them.

Does any of the above point to a problem for me? I have downloaded version 6.5.1 from 2006-10-14 and this is also causing the same problems, so I am sure the problem is local to my PC and not the Slimserver software? Help would be appreciated because I currently can not use my Squeeze Box !!!!!!

kdf
2006-10-19, 01:24
On 19-Oct-06, at 1:01 AM, norderney wrote:

>
> Help would be appreciated because I currently can
> not use my Squeeze Box !!!!!!
>
ok, I can't help with those event viewer logs. They aren't ones that
I've seen before as leading to anything solid.
Going from your excessive use of explanations, if you really are in
urgent need, you really need to be contacting support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com.
It is their job to get you past setup issues, and you can ring them up
if need be.

If you wish to deal with things through the forum, first priority is a
deep breath and get your heart rate/blood pressure down and leave
yourself ready to dig in.

If you've upgraded from something pre-6.5, lets just start by doing a
complete uninstall, then delete c:\program files\slimserver, the entire
tree. Then re-install. This will make sure you don't have anything
left over (even prefs). If you want to save something for later, once
you've found the exact problem, please make a backup. Try running
again, and use the command prompt execution I've posted previously if
you have to. If you are still stuck, it's the output from that that
will hopefully point the way foreward.
-kdf

jhonsberger@msn.com
2006-10-19, 05:26
I just installed the 10/18 5.1 nightly from 6.5 and im having exactly the same problems .I cant open the slimserver web interface and slimserver seemes to be scanning on its own .

I tried two clean installs of 6.51 and had the same problem.Slimserver is running.I can open slimserver from the squeexebox icon in the toolbar area but not from the desktop icon.I get a message saying that starting slimserver failed even though it is running,when i click on the squeexebox icon on the desktop.

Maybe the 10/18 nightly is somewhat broken.

I did notice that when I finished the 6.51 installation,that slimserver did NOT start an immediate scan of my music library.I had to manually go the the squeezebox icon and click it.That started the slimserver software and the scan then began.I dont remember having to
do that on any slimserver install.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-19, 06:08
I went into Event Viewer and looked under System and found "Warning WinDefend".
Opening this up I get Windefend has detected spyware or other potentially unwanted software. Then it says
Path Found service slimsvc:file c:\Program Files\Slimserver\server\slim.exe
Alert type unknown.

What's that WinDefend thing? It seems to be interfering with Slim.

Can you disable it?

norderney
2006-10-19, 06:21
What's that WinDefend thing? It seems to be interfering with Slim.

Can you disable it?

Don't know really!!! When I go into event viewer it says "Windows Defender Real Time Protection agent has detected spyware or other potentially unwanted software

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-19, 06:45
Don't know really!!! When I go into event viewer it says "Windows Defender Real Time Protection agent has detected spyware or other potentially unwanted software

OH! That's Windows Defender.

Somewhere in your Start - Programs menu you should have a "fortress" icon for Windows Defender.

Open it, go to Tools. In Options, you can choose to disable real-time monitoring completely. But explore around the Tools menus, you should be able to find where it's walled-off poor old Slim and you should be able to tell it that Slim is safe. This could be in Quarantined items.

norderney
2006-10-19, 07:26
Well, it's not Windows Defender causing the problem. I have turn it off completely now and rebooted my PC and still getting scanner.exe crashing with the Windows error.

Any other ideas? Other than re-installing Windows XP and all my other applications !!!!

RL boy
2006-10-19, 08:28
I am also having this problem since updating Slim Server to version 6.5.

I am running Windows XP and when I try and rescan the Itunes Library the scan gets so far and then crashes with a Windows error relating to Scanner.exe

"
Faulting application scanner.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module perl58.dll, version 5.8.7.813, fault address 0x00089994.
"

There are no errors in the System log at all.

The only other entries of note in the application log relate to a SOurce OMCI, and there seems to be one of these Information notifications before each scanner error:

"Chassis intrusion detected. This typically does NOT indicate a hardware failure.
1. Contact your Help Desk if you did not personally open your chassis.
2. Enter System Setup & Set Chassis Intrusion to 'Clear'."

Here are the details from my debug log

Warning: Migrating from 6.3.x used with MySQL!
Warning! - Slim::Formats::Parse::registerParser is deprecated!
Please update your code to use: Slim::Formats::Playlists->registerParser($type, $playlistClass)
Make sure your $playlistClass has a ->read() method, and an optional ->write() method
Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Formats::Parse::registerParser (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/Alien/RTSP.pm line 34)
frame 1: (eval) (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 112)
frame 2: Plugins::Alien::Plugin::__ANON__ (perlsvc.pl line 1313)
frame 3: (eval) (perlsvc.pl line 1313)
frame 4: PerlApp::my_require (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/Alien/Plugin.pm line 112)
frame 5: Plugins::Alien::Plugin::BEGIN (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/Alien/RTSP.pm line 0)
frame 6: (eval) (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/Alien/RTSP.pm line 0)
frame 7: (eval) ((eval 671) line 2)
frame 8: Slim::bootstrap::__ANON__ (perlsvc.pl line 1313)
frame 9: (eval) (perlsvc.pl line 1313)
frame 10: PerlApp::my_require ((eval 671) line 2)
frame 11: Slim::bootstrap::BEGIN (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/Alien/RTSP.pm line 0)
frame 12: (eval) (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/Alien/RTSP.pm line 0)
frame 13: (eval) (/PerlApp/Slim/bootstrap.pm line 231)
frame 14: Slim::bootstrap::tryModuleLoad (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 198)
frame 15: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::canPlugin (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/Setup.pm line 3563)
frame 16: Slim::Web::Setup::getCategoryPlugins (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/Setup.pm line 3455)
frame 17: Slim::Web::Setup::addGroup (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/MusicMagic/Plugin.pm line 139)
frame 18: Plugins::MusicMagic::Plugin::initPlugin (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/MusicMagic/Plugin.pm line 82)
frame 19: Plugins::MusicMagic::Plugin::enabled (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 206)
frame 20: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::canPlugin (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 260)
frame 21: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::addPlugin (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 163)
frame 22: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::initPlugins (/PerlApp/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 65)
frame 23: Slim::Utils::PluginManager::init (slimserver.pl line 410)
frame 24: main::init (slimserver.pl line 32)
frame 25: PerlSvc::Startup (perlsvc.pl line 1482)
frame 26: PerlSvc::_startup (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/Alien/RTSP.pm line 0)
frame 27: (eval) (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Plugins/Alien/RTSP.pm line 0)

Setup::rescan - initiating scan of type: [rescan]

Any ideas what I need to do?

Also seem to have lost all my saved playlists done via Squeezebox and my AlienBBC plugin has dissapeared. :(

norderney
2006-10-19, 09:03
Out of interest what version of 6.5 are you getting this problem with? I installed 6.5.1 build from 2006-10-18, but going back to 6.5b2 9583 from September 2006, which did not have this problem originally, is now also crashing with the scanner.exe windows error.

But it is interesting that someone else has the same problem.

Where is the debug log stored?

erland
2006-10-19, 09:06
Also seem to have lost all my saved playlists done via Squeezebox and my AlienBBC plugin has dissapeared. :(The version of AlienBBC plugin you are using doesn't seem to be compatible with slimserver 6.5, you will have to upgrade to a AlienBBC version compatible with 6.5.

Millwood
2006-10-19, 09:25
You might open up Windows defender and see what it says.

norderney
2006-10-19, 09:29
I already did look at Windows defender and it had nothing to indicate it was stopping slim or scanner.exe from running, but as I have now completely disabled it, and the problem still exists, I guess Windows Defender was not causing the problem.

bpa
2006-10-19, 09:52
Don't be so certain. For example, Zonealarm can stop the socketwrapper part of AlienBBC even when Zonealarm is disabled - Zonealarm needed to be uninstalled to be ineffective.

RL boy
2006-10-19, 09:58
The version of AlienBBC plugin you are using doesn't seem to be compatible with slimserver 6.5, you will have to upgrade to a AlienBBC version compatible with 6.5.

I paid a visit to the AlienBBC web page and realised this. All installed and working fine now.

Anybody any Idea why my previous playlists are not showing on my squeezebox? I created and saved a playlist with current version of slim server to see where it was saved and it is in the same location as the other playlists, they are just not showing up.

RL boy
2006-10-19, 10:05
Where can I find Windows Defender?

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-19, 10:15
Don't be so certain. For example, Zonealarm can stop the socketwrapper part of AlienBBC even when Zonealarm is disabled - Zonealarm needed to be uninstalled to be ineffective.

Yes. In particular, Windows Defender is very persistent on my system - I have told it to do nothing until I call it up, yet it's always there in my process list, eating up memory.

norderney, just try disabling "real-time protection" first or putting Slim on the safe processes list. Disabling the program in general doesn't do anything on my system.

RL boy
2006-10-22, 15:48
Yes. In particular, Windows Defender is very persistent on my system - I have told it to do nothing until I call it up, yet it's always there in my process list, eating up memory.

norderney, just try disabling "real-time protection" first or putting Slim on the safe processes list. Disabling the program in general doesn't do anything on my system.

I don't have windows defender installed on my PC so that is not the problem in my case.

Looking in Task Manager scanner.exe is using around 40-50MB of memory then in suddenly jumps to 500MD as does a copy of svchost.exe soon after I get the windows error.

Anyone any ideas?

norderney
2006-10-24, 10:47
I am also still getting the "Scanner.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" message when scanning the music database from within the Slimserve software.

After trying various different versions of Slimserver (incl 6.5.0 and 6.3.1!!!!) and getting the same problem with each version, I thought perhaps it might be a problem with Windows XP. So I reformated my hard drive and did a clean install of Windows XP and then re-installed all my software applications including Slimserver version 6.5.0.

But the error on scanner.exe is back again!! I have also noticed that when I turn on my PC, Slimserver automatically starts scanning the music database. Is there a setting to stop it doing this?

I have discovered if I go to a DOS prompt, and change directories to c:\program files\slimserver\server and then key in the command:
scanner.exe --wipe --d_import --d_server --d_scan

This then rescans my database and I DO NOT get scanner.exe error message!!! What is the difference between the above command, and the scanner command within the software?

mherger
2006-10-25, 00:05
> This then rescans my database and I DO NOT get scanner.exe error
> message!!! What is the difference between the above command, and the
> scanner command within the software?

When you're running scanner from the command line, it's run with your
privileges. It can access all files you are allowed to access. If you run
it from the server web interface, it's run with the system's privileges.
While this should work as well on your local machine, it can be a problem
if your files are eg. stored on a NAS, or if some of them have access
permission for the system user denied (which you should never do).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

RL boy
2006-10-25, 02:16
I have discovered if I go to a DOS prompt, and change directories to c:\program files\slimserver\server and then key in the command:
scanner.exe --wipe --d_import --d_server --d_scan

This then rescans my database and I DO NOT get scanner.exe error message!!! What is the difference between the above command, and the scanner command within the software?

I tried running from the command prompt but it still kept crashing.

In the debug information the only difference I can see is that there is a line not present for all the other files

Newtrack(): Readtags is 1.

As it was always with the same song I deleted the song and all works fine now. All songs and playlists available

norderney
2006-10-25, 17:28
RL boy, what did you do to identify which song was giving you the problem? As I have already tried various versions of Slimserver and re-installed Windows XP, perhaps the problem is with my database?

mherger, said that when running scanner.exe manually it uses different priveliges to when its run from the server web interface. I store all my music on an external USB hard drive, which I have done for over a year now, but the problem has only occured over the last month.

I would be most grateful for any advice!!!!

mherger
2006-10-25, 23:24
> mherger, said that when running scanner.exe manually it uses different
> priveliges to when its run from the server web interface. I store all
> my music on an external USB hard drive, which I have done for over a
> year now, but the problem has only occured over the last month.

If your using an external disk, then you should be fine (concerning the
permissions issue I mentioned).

Please turn on the d_info and d_scan debugging flags before starting the
next rescan from the web interface. You'll then get a logfile full of
useful information. And it's the last few lines before the crash which are
of interest. Please post them here.

--

Michael

norderney
2006-10-26, 01:59
I have just turned on d_info and d_scan debugging flags and then ran a rescan through the web interface. Where do I find the resulting logfile and what is it called?

mherger
2006-10-26, 02:04
> I have just turned on d_info and d_scan debugging flags and then ran a
> rescan through the web interface. Where do I find the resulting
> logfile and what is it called?

You'll fine the link on the Settings/Debugging page, pretty much at the
top (in the description text).

--

Michael

norderney
2006-10-26, 02:19
Here is the last section of the log file:

Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 461)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Row::throw_exception (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 108)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Row::update (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Relationship/CascadeActions.pm line 30)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Relationship::CascadeActions::update (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/InflateColumn.pm line 222)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::InflateColumn::update (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/DBI.pm line 35)
frame 5: Slim::Schema::DBI::update (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/Track.pm line 305)
frame 6: Slim::Schema::Track::coverArt (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/Graphics.pm line 94)
frame 7: Slim::Web::Graphics::processCoverArtRequest (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 789)
frame 8: Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 677)
frame 9: Slim::Web::HTTP::processURL (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 523)
frame 10: Slim::Web::HTTP::processHTTP (/PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)
frame 11: Slim::Networking::Select::select (slimserver.pl line 487)
frame 12: main::idle (slimserver.pl line 35)
frame 13: PerlSvc::Startup (perlsvc.pl line 1482)
frame 14: PerlSvc::_startup (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 15: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

ERROR: Can't update Slim::Schema::Track=HASH(0x552bb20): row not found
ERROR: Backtrace follows:

Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::throw_exception (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 461)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Row::throw_exception (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 117)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Row::update (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Relationship/CascadeActions.pm line 30)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Relationship::CascadeActions::update (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/InflateColumn.pm line 222)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::InflateColumn::update (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/DBI.pm line 35)
frame 5: Slim::Schema::DBI::update (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Slim/Schema/Track.pm line 305)
frame 7: Slim::Web::Graphics::processCoverArtRequest (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 789)
frame 8: Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 677)
frame 10: Slim::Web::HTTP::processHTTP (/PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 238)

ERROR: Not in database

Backtrace:

frame 1: DBIx::Class::Row::throw_exception (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 108)

ERROR: Can't update Slim::Schema::Track=HASH(0x551ac48): row not found

Backtrace:

frame 1: DBIx::Class::Row::throw_exception (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 117)

mherger
2006-10-26, 02:34
> Here is the last section of the log file:

And after that the server crashes?

> ERROR: Can't update Slim::Schema::Track=HASH(0x552bb20): row not found
> ERROR: Backtrace follows:

Too much for me :-(. Are you using any third party plugins? If yes: please
remove them, restart the server, repeat the test :-/

--

Michael

norderney
2006-10-26, 02:54
No, I am not using any 3rd party plug ins. I am just running Slimserver 6.5.0 software, without any modifications or plug ins.

mherger
2006-10-26, 03:04
> No, I am not using any 3rd party plug ins. I am just running Slimserver
> 6.5.0 software, without any modifications or plug ins.

The subject's talking about 6.5.1 - if you aren't running it, please
update and report back whether you still experience this issue. Thanks.

--

Michael