PDA

View Full Version : to many directory tagging problem

cmaskelyne
2006-10-18, 13:50
There have been several issues reported with tags not being picked up properly in the new version of slimserver.

With a fairly substantial library (43000 tracks) I was disappointed to find that many of the tracks had disappeared to "Web" or "MP3's" which were the subdirectories that I had assigned for my music.

Previously I know 6.3 was working so I reverted to that only to find the same issue. Having worked my way through iTunes, Musicmatch and Windows Media Player (all showing the correct tags) I decided to rever to an even earlier version 6.0.1.

Despite removing all traces of slimserver the same problem occured.

In my desperation I remapped a H:\web\mp3's as Z:\MP3's (I tried) to map it completely but you can't scan only a drive. Anyway so this meant that I could see if the artists all changed from Web to MP3's however it was even better than I expected - all tags were fine.

Next move is to move back through the upgrades and see if and when it plays up. If you have this problem I suggest in the interim you move the directory closer to the root or if this is not ideal share and map the drive so you only have one sub-directory to your music. I will keep you posted on whether this fixes the problem in later releases.

I guess if this does it probably needs to be fixed by someone but as a casual user I am not sure how this works hopefully someone can pick this up and see where the problem lies.

It has taken a couple of days but at last it seems like I am making progress.

Still the best music steaming system out there even with these little trials keep up the good work.

kdf
2006-10-18, 14:01
Quoting cmaskelyne <cmaskelyne.2fw5to1161204902 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> There have been several issues reported with tags not being picked up
> properly in the new version of slimserver.
>
> With a fairly substantial library (43000 tracks) I was disappointed to
> find that many of the tracks had disappeared to "Web" or "MP3's" which
> were the subdirectories that I had assigned for my music.

There was a known issue with tagged mp3 files, involving a conflict
among the different mp3 tagging options. This is resolved in the
6.5.1 nightly builds, or you can wait a little while longer to get the
official 6.5.1 release.

nightly builds here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest
-kdf

cmaskelyne
2006-10-18, 14:55
Thanks for the update - I wonder if this is the same issue as I have updated all mine to 2.4 tags. I am thinking there is something funny going on where it does not pick up the tag but with the option set to pick up artist from the directory it does this.

Anyway have downloaded the nightly and will let you know if the issue resurfaces.

Cheers.

cmaskelyne
2006-10-18, 15:20
Right 6.5.1 nightly 18/10 does not fix this issue. Exactly the same problem. Have tried it scanning the directory directly and using iTunes - issue occurs on both.

Now having got it working fine under 6.0.1 (both scanning directly and with iTunes) I am regressing back to 6.3.1 to see it the issue is there as well.

More work needed I think. Will let you know when I have tried 6.3.1 if this does not work the solution is to go back to 6.0.1 and do a clean installation and then a clean update of all music.

cmaskelyne
2006-10-18, 15:47
Final post of the night.

6.3.1 has the same problem with the multiple directories. Half of my albums disappear under "Web" with the artist being MP3's.

It must be something to do with the tagging not being picked up as the other half are OK but can't for the life of me figure out what.

Anyway on the plus side 6.0.2 works fine. I did the following:

Stopped service, removed slimserver from the add/remove (control panel). Deleted the directory C:\program files\slimserve.

Then did a full install of 6.0.2 set my directory up to scan: H:\web\mp3's and bingo all present and correct.

As I mentioned before it is probably some rogue tagging that is in some of my MP3's though I have been through with iTunes to remove everything other than album, artist, track name, track number, genre and album art so heavens knows which bit is the problem.

Also I converted all tracks to 2.4.

Finally I removed, gapless, album artist infomation, part of compilation tags again using iTunes.

Now I can listen to my music again, when 6.5.1 works the same way as 6.0.2 I will upgrade, until then at least everything that I need is working.

Would be glad to hear from anyone with other resolutions or the same issue.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-18, 16:36
Have you looked at the tags with a tagger like Mp3tag? I'm sorry, but I would not rely on iTunes for that.

You can change all tags back to ID2v2.3 with one click. Try it out with a few files first.

See here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Mp3tagGuide

All you'd have to do is set the options and save. It would overwrite the 2.4 tags with 2.3 tags.

ID3v2.4 tags don't seem to work very well with a lot of things for me - the Windows functionality that shows artist info with the file is broken, and it kills my PocketPC WMP completely - causing it to freeze if it encounters one in its library.

Also are you using the expected artist/album/title.mp3 format?