PDA

View Full Version : Changed Sorting in 6.5 Browse Music Folder

bbpbbp
2006-10-17, 12:51
Hi community.

After I uppgraded to 6.5 I have noticed that the sorting routines for Browse Music Folder has changed. This is no longer using the same sorting as in Windows Explorer.

I use i.e. "_ Various HitCDs" as a category in my folder hierarchy. The thing is that earlier al folders starting with underscore came first (which I liked and which is similar to i.e. windows filebrowser), but after upgrading to 6.5 the underscore is no longer treated as a charachter, and the abow example will be sorted together with V (which I dont like).

Anyone has any ideas on how to fix this?

kdf
2006-10-17, 13:04
Quoting bbpbbp <bbpbbp.2fu8dn1161114901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Hi community.
>
> After I uppgraded to 6.5 I have noticed that the sorting routines for
> Browse Music Folder has changed. This is no longer using the same
> sorting as in Windows Explorer.

The truth is that it is more a case of 6.5 finally doing it correctly
according to the design. Punctuation is ignored for purposes of
sorting. It was never intended to match windows explorer.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4363

> Anyone has any ideas on how to fix this?

Use alphanumeric characters in filenames, when sorting by filename.
Use ALBUMSORT and TITLESORT tags, with leading alphanumeric characters
for sorting tagged items.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4020

-kdf

ModelCitizen
2006-10-17, 23:37
The truth is that it is more a case of 6.5 finally doing it correctly
according to the design. Punctuation is ignored for purposes of
sorting. It was never intended to match windows explorer.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4363

Why is that the *correct* way? The bug report does not make that clear. What advantages does performing sorting in the new way help SlimServer? For me and all Windows users it would be better if we got expected behaviour (i.e. the same as Windows) if there are no obvious stated advantages with the new implementation.
MC

bbpbbp
2006-10-18, 04:24
I must say I agree with ModelCitisen on this. I do not understand why it is preferable to ignore special characters when sorting by filename? AS far as I remember, if you run a "ls" in linux underscore and other special characters wil not be ignored in the sorting. To me it sounds like the most preferable way of sorting files in the "Browse Music Folder" should be the same way as they are listed in the OS filesystem the server is running on... Isn't the whole idea of using the "Browse Music Folder" option to present the files as they are in the filesystem (or is it just me)?

JJZolx
2006-10-18, 09:57
Why is that the *correct* way? The bug report does not make that clear. What advantages does performing sorting in the new way help SlimServer? For me and all Windows users it would be better if we got expected behaviour (i.e. the same as Windows) if there are no obvious stated advantages with the new implementation.

That's a really good question.

Removing the punctuation and special characters probably makes _searching_ a bit more user-friendly, but I've never fully understood why these characters were also removed for _sorting_ purposes.

In the database there are three distinct strings stored for all album and track titles, genres, and artist names - an unaltered string, used only for display purposes, a sort string, and a search string. From what I can tell, the sort and search strings are identical in all cases - each has been stripped of most punctuation characters and has been capitalized.

Using ALBUMSORT, TITLESORT, NAMESORT tags can be quite powerful, and for things like artist names, it's the ideal way to do things like forcing a lastname/firstname ordering. But when those tags are not present, I could certainly understand using something more closely resembling the original, perhaps with punctuation not removed.