PDA

View Full Version : Performance & server requirements

awy
2006-10-16, 08:43
I have SlimServer (6.5.0) running on my general home server. This is a rather ancient box with a c.600MHz Pemtium II/III(?) CPU and a pair of EIDE drives in a software mirror configuration. Nothing sparkling at all but generally fine for most purposes. It runs Fedora Linux FC5 (up to date).

I notice a couple of performance-related issues. If I use the SlimServer web interface, from another client PC, to browse the music archive, then I get interruptions in the playback. Would it be possible, perhaps, to increase the buffering to (SoftSqueeze) players to overcome this?

When monitoring the system performance with top(1), I often see slimserver.pl using 15-25% of the CPU. I find it hard to correlate this usage with what is going on at the time. What is it doing?

Does the server use multiple threads (other than the separate scanner thread) or does it multiplex various activities (streaming audio, serving web pages) within a single thread?

Paul_B
2006-10-16, 09:51
If you look in the Hardware / Third Pary forums you will see quite a few issues with machines not able to cope with the load due to 6.5. The web interface seems to cause most problems rather than the streaming.

I have just commissioned a EPIA 15000 Mini-ITX board running Windows 2003 Server (research and learning for the day-to-day job) It flies but even so looking at the CPU active when changing web pages and the inbuilt performance monitoring of the web page building it still takes some load.

awy
2006-10-18, 01:51
Yes, I think that web-page access seems to be the biggest issue, although there are other occasions where it seems to be chewing the CPU without an obvious good reason.

What about the "threads" question? Actually, is there a good architecture overview of SlimServer? If I could get a handle on how it all works then I may be in a position to contribute (my field is performance engineering).

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-18, 06:33
Actually, is there a good architecture overview of SlimServer? If I could get a handle on how it all works then I may be in a position to contribute (my field is performance engineering).

You may want to post this question on the Developers forum.

I'm not sure about an architecture overview, but SlimServer is written in Perl and open-source, of course, so it's easy to see the code. There's also a freely-available Perl compiler, ActiveState Perl.