PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a device (in line) that can volume normalize and enhance voice repro?

Deaf Cat
2006-10-16, 08:06
Hiya,

Just as above really with maybe rca ins and outs, maybe digi in ?

Not exactly Slim related I know, but thought maybe the some what more experienced electronic / software people (unlike my self) may know of any such device...

Or even how tricky/easy it maybe to make one.

Look forward to hearing any comments.
Cheers

azinck3
2006-10-16, 11:22
Not sure exactly what you intend to do from your subject line, but it sounds like you're looking for a dynamic compressor (usually just called a compressor). Generally speaking, what a compressor does is attenuate signals that rise above a certain user-determined threshold by a user-determined amount.

Deaf Cat
2006-10-16, 13:57
Ah sorry, should have explained a bit better,

SB and dvd sound fine,

cable tv hmmmm becomming somewhat annoying,
During a program when people are talking we adjust the vol up, any other sound affects vol down, so finger is pretty much constantly adjusting up down up down.

And when the adds come on well I've started to mute the sound as I think the vol down button is nearing the end of its life with all the use.

So I was thinking a little black box with some electronic or such like wizzardery in it may be able to enhance the voices and normalize all other volumes...
This is what I'm hoping for anyway.

Hope its a bit clearer.

So this compresor thing can you determine which frequencies you can compress?

stinkingpig
2006-10-16, 15:07
On 10/16/06, Deaf Cat <
Deaf.Cat.2fsgpz1161032401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Ah sorry, should have explained a bit better,
>
> SB and dvd sound fine,
>
> cable tv hmmmm becomming somewhat annoying,
> During a program when people are talking we adjust the vol up, any
> other sound affects vol down, so finger is pretty much constantly
> adjusting up down up down.
>
> And when the adds come on well I've started to mute the sound as I
> think the vol down button is nearing the end of its life with all the
> use.
>
> So I was thinking a little black box with some electronic or such like
> wizzardery in it may be able to enhance the voices and normalize all
> other volumes...
> This is what I'm hoping for anyway.
>
> Hope its a bit clearer.

Sounds to me like the real problem is the commercials -- have you considered
building or buying a PVR and stripping them out?

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

cliveb
2006-10-17, 01:26
cable tv hmmmm becomming somewhat annoying,
During a program when people are talking we adjust the vol up, any other sound affects vol down, so finger is pretty much constantly adjusting up down up down.
Are you saying that the dialogue is difficult to hear against the background effects/music/etc unless you turn up the volume? It's the case that dialogue is easier to distinguish from the background when the level is higher. It seems that more and more TV programmes are being balanced in the expectation that we all listen at home on home theatre equipment at levels similar to the cinema. If you've got a 5.1 system then you can adjust the relative level of the center speaker. If you're listening in stereo, at realistic domestic levels, then you're stuffed. You may find the simplest way out of this is to switch into mono, as the dialog is usually more strongly in phase than the background.

And when the adds come on well I've started to mute the sound as I think the vol down button is nearing the end of its life with all the use.
Here in the UK, there's a defined maximum peak level that may be broadcast - I'd expect the same is true in other countries. So the commercials have additional dynamic range compression to make them sound much louder. It seems that the advertisers think we'll take more notice of the adverts if they are louder. Quite why they haven't realised that most people respond to this aural assault by hitting the mute button (thus achieving precisely the opposite effect) beats me.

reverber
2006-10-17, 06:01
Some cable boxes have a compressor built in (my digital cable box does). There is a "settings" area in the menu where one would activate this feature.

Some TVs also have this feature (I believe Magnavox called theirs "Smart Sound."

If these fail, there is always dbx. They used to have a consumer line of limiters/compressors, but I don't know if they still exist. They do still make studio equipment though. The 160 looks like it might do the job, but I'm sure somebody else has more current info.

Cody