PDA

View Full Version : slimserver missing albums

cmaskelyne
2006-10-16, 02:27
I have had slimserver running successfully on a 2003 server for some time but recently things seem to be playing up.

Normally I scan the directory for music and this works fine. I noticed in the last week or two though that a significant number of albums are not listed under the artist. For example I have around 10 albums either of, or with a track from "Air" on them. Only half of these are listed. I have in the region of 20 "Depeche Mode" albums that have gone AWOL. The strange thing is that there are approximately the right number of tracks in Slimserver so I wonder if they are hiding elsewhere.

Also when I go into "Depeche Mode" under artist then the number of track drops by about 50% to 21,000 in the listing at the top.

Finally I thought that maybe it would work if I linked to the .xml file in iTunes. Despite all the albums being listed in the file I still have exactly the same problem.

The tracks are ripped at different times but all in unprotected MP3 format. All tracks appear and can be played fine in iTunes and iTunes and Slimserver both run on the same machine.

My thoughts are:

Is there a problem with Slimserver? - as neither is working I thought that may be the issue.

Is there a problem with file protection? - would not have thought so otherwise the tracks would not play in iTunes.

Have I got too much on here?

Should I revert to an early copy of Slimserver/iTunes (personally I do not think the iTunes part will be a problem as an xml file is an xml file and you cannot do much to stuff that up. Also a straight scan of the folder causes the same issue.

If so can anyone direct me to a place where I can download say version 6 which I don't think caused me a problem.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

slimpy
2006-10-16, 03:32
Please check if the missing albums are listed under Artists - Various artists.
Some of the Air tracks seem to be part of compilation albums. This could be another issue with compilations.
For the missing Depeche Mode albums things seem to be a bit more complicated.
Do any of the songs on the missing albums have more than one artist in the tags?
Do you use the ALBUMARTIST (TPE2 for mp3) or DISC/DISCC (TPOS for mp3, "part of a set") tags on any of the missing albums?
Turn off iTunes integration for testing so we can rule that out as a possible source of error although it is probably not an iTunes issue anyway.

-s.

cmaskelyne
2006-10-16, 03:51
After a rescan (unfortunately it is still going) it looks like it is second guessing the tags incorrectly.

My directory structure is as follows:

H:\web\mp3's\depeche mode\personal jesus cd single\track 01

and so on

Where for some reason it is not picking up the tags it thinks the artist is web and the cd is MP3's. The thing that puzzles me is that Media player and iTunes are both tagged perfectly.

I am not sure which tag you are refering to but most of mine are tagged Artist rather than Album artist in iTunes - not sure if that helps.

Would it help if converted the whole iTunes library to id tag 2.4? which I think is the latest - or should I be picking an earlier one?

Thanks for the assistance so far.

Ramage
2006-10-16, 03:52
I found that playlists scanned in the Playlists folder affected the artist count and the display of artists.

If you have playlists, try removing moving them to another unscanned folder, and try a full rescan.

When I did that, the Music Library behaved properly and displayed and counted all the artists in the compilations whose names wrer properly listed in the tags.

slimpy
2006-10-16, 03:59
You probably have both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in your files and one set has blank values in the artist and album frames.
Remove the old ID3v1 tags from the files with a program like The Godfather or mp3Tag. There have been reports of tagging programs that failed to show ID3v1 tags even if they were there. To make sure they are removed properly open the file in a text editor and look for TAG at the end of the file. If TAG is still there then the ID3v1 tag wasn't removed properly.

-s.

slimpy
2006-10-16, 04:01
I found that playlists scanned in the Playlists folder affected the artist count and the display of artists.

If you have playlists, try removing moving them to another unscanned folder, and try a full rescan.

When I did that, the Music Library behaved properly and displayed and counted all the artists in the compilations whose names wrer properly listed in the tags.
This sure helps with duplicate tracks, but does it help with missing tracks also?

-s.

cmaskelyne
2006-10-16, 04:04
Thanks Ramage - have done that but I am not sure the clear is working I did a clear and rescan and my track count is going up from where it was before (43000) I am now up to 45000 dispite clearing playlists and selecting clear and rescan.

This version seems to be misbehaving a bit at the moment

slimpy
2006-10-16, 04:14
Track count seems to be off to a smaller or greater degree depending on the view you are currently in. I'm not sure this has anything to do with your or other related problems. I don't have any problems with missing or duplicate tracks but track, artist and album count seem to be odd sometimes. I wouldn't rely on these figures to determine if your library scanned successfully.

-s.

Greg Erskine
2006-10-16, 04:41
I concur with Ramage, disabling playlists and doing a clear and rescan is the only way I have found get things behaving. A rescan of new or changed miscounts artists and albums by 1 or 2 but is OK with the number of tracks. Having playlists active seems to add to the miscount of artists (almost double) on one of the screens.

Also, when doing a clear and rescan I usually need to clear the IE browser's cache because one of the recently added album art is not correct.

As I don't use playlists and only have 250 albums, having to do an occassional clear and rescan and clearing the cache is not a problem. I am very happy with the operation of Slimserver 6.5.1 in my situation.

regards
Greg

cmaskelyne
2006-10-16, 09:23
OK so - I have download MP3tag and found that huge volumes of the MP3's do not appear tagged. So ran through iTunes auto update as all the tracks appeared fine there. Went back into MP3tag still loads missing but have tried winamp, musicmatch, iTunes and Media player and all of these pick up all the tracks and the correct tags.

6.3.0 did not have the problem (although I cannot tell when this problem did occur). Clear from other posts that this is causing several people problems. I just want to see my music again.

To cut a long story short I will go back to 6.3.0 but can anyone tell me where I can download this?

Many thanks for any assistance.

slimpy
2006-10-16, 09:33
You're going back to 6.3 because your files are not properly tagged?
-s.

Siduhe
2006-10-16, 10:55
To cut a long story short I will go back to 6.3.0 but can anyone tell me where I can download this?

Try the Downloads page: http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

cmaskelyne
2006-10-16, 13:13
You're going back to 6.3 because your files are not properly tagged?
-s.

Only not tagged properly in 6.5.0

Properly tagged in : musicmatch, winamp, windows media player, itunes and 6.3.0 so in view of the fact many others have the same problem and I would have to wade through 43000 tracks I will just go back to something that works. I just want to listen to my music - which I could with the last version. Whatever has changed needs changing back as it seems I am not alone.

But thanks for the help you have provided. I really would have preferred not to downgrade but see no other sensible option.