PDA

View Full Version : Happy SB2 - Wireless Signal Strength to Stream FLAC's ?

Deaf Cat
2006-10-15, 02:33
Just wondering if I have something a miss as I'm sure I have read that peoples SB's have worked with 30% or so signal strength.

Mine has trouble in the high 50's anything less and SB2 says I need more signal to work...please!

Just wondering if 50-60% is a normal cut off for streaming FLAC's ?

(I've a G+ wireless router)

ceejay
2006-10-15, 03:30
not sure if signal strength takes any account of interference, which is often a problem... tried changing channel?

Ceejay

bpa
2006-10-15, 03:36
Try using Net test plugin to see if you can get about 2500kbps @100%. This is a short burst test so interference won't show up.

The Server health may also highlight transmission vs other problems.

If you are using windows - another indicator of the quality of the connection can be found with the TCP statistics - from a command prompt window "netstat -p TCP -s". Unfortunately this is for all TCP connections but high no. retransmits is one indicator of interference.

Deaf Cat
2006-10-15, 12:38
I'm on channel one and another network that shows up everynow and then is on ch 6.

Maybe there is other interference near to ch 1 maybe i'll give it a bash on another ch :) cheers for the tip

HMmmm I've been a bit worried about my server for a while now it sometimes just wants to rest and take ages to do anything - maybe it goes into a go slow work state even when its left doing nothing....May need to be shiffted up the prority list!

ran the netstat -p TCP -s and had 4 retransmits which I guess is not all that high compaired to the other nos.
Cheers for the tips :)

bpa
2006-10-15, 13:39
Interference can come from other sources (e.g. cordless phones, microwaves) and not just other Wifi installations.

Low retransmit count is good but does not mean something else could be happening.

You should give the Server health menu a try and see if it throws up something such as a slow server (e.g. badly behaved plugin) .

Can you provide more details on the symptoms of the "trouble"

Deaf Cat
2006-10-16, 04:39
Interference can come from other sources (e.g. cordless phones, microwaves) and not just other Wifi installations.

Low retransmit count is good but does not mean something else could be happening.

Arha I did of course do the retrans test when it was working fine, will try it again when the SB signal drops and my SB stops!

You should give the Server health menu a try and see if it throws up something such as a slow server (e.g. badly behaved plugin) .

Can you provide more details on the symptoms of the "trouble"

My so called 'server' is an XP desk top....
Have tried the spybot thingy all ok
Have router firewall and pc firewall
Virus bits and bobs running

I'll have to have a check next time the music drops out to see if the xp pc is having a bit of a slow moment, and run the retransmit thing again.

As to any differences in operation of anything on the pc or indoors nothing really changes, so I guess its the 'server' pc or an external occurance that causes the drop in signal......

Thanks for the help so far and look forward to any other suggestions you may have - Cheers :)

Deaf Cat
2006-10-18, 02:25
If you are using windows - another indicator of the quality of the connection can be found with the TCP statistics - from a command prompt window "netstat -p TCP -s". Unfortunately this is for all TCP connections but high no. retransmits is one indicator of interference.

Music just dropped,
Checked device manager and Network Utilization has dropped,
CPU Usage, varying between 3 & 22ish%

Ran the netstat -p TCP -s
and instead of before showing 4 its showing 179 retransmitts -
So does this mean interference is my problem?

Just fired up the laptop, shows 73% signal strength, even sitting next to the SB which is showing between 19&35% it still shows 73%, and no other networks around.

Hmmmm
I'm lost
Could it be my little SB not happy?

Please elp somebody :)

ceejay
2006-10-18, 02:52
don't forget there are other sources of interference than wireless networks, eg microwaves and cordless phones. Have you tried channel 13?

Ceejay

bpa
2006-10-18, 03:05
The retransmit count is just indicative that something has happened that interrupted network comms. It doesn't say which connection needed the retransmits. It could be the result of interference, PC hanging (e.g. dodgy disk) or SB reset or even internet comms if you had something else running.

I think you should enable Performance monitoring under "Server & network health", reset the counters, play some music and see if something shows up

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-18, 06:43
Just fired up the laptop, shows 73% signal strength, even sitting next to the SB which is showing between 19&35% it still shows 73%, and no other networks around.

Don't go by this, apps for wireless NICs in laptops use totally different measurement standards, usually hopelessly optimistic.

The two measurements will never match.

Deaf Cat
2006-10-18, 14:08
ceejay - we have no microwave, I suppose it could be next doors microwave.. actually.. it was around lunch time, if it happens tommorow I ask them to switch it off :) and see. I only have channels 1 - 6 is this normal ?

bpa - Sorry I'm a bit incompetent when it comes to any thing technical to do with pc's, where may I find the 'Server & network health' thing on an XP machine? or do I need a server bit of software? (cheers :)

Mark - ah yes that may explain when I go down the garden with the laptop signal strength stays high but does not really work, and then drops completly to nothing.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-18, 14:31
bpa - Sorry I'm a bit incompetent when it comes to any thing technical to do with pc's, where may I find the 'Server & network health' thing on an XP machine? or do I need a server bit of software? (cheers :)

Actually it's in SlimServer - Help - Server & Network Health.

bpa
2006-10-18, 14:40
Server & network help - is on the main Slimserver Web page - bottom left hand side.

When you select it - there will be a test for different data rates. This is a short duration and will not be enough for your problem.
At the bottom of the dialogue there is the text "Enable Performance Monitoring" - click this link to get the performance monitoring page.
You will now have a choice of "Server Statistics" or "Player Statistics".
Click "Server Statistics" - then reset the counter and play some music. Then look at the graphs or post a copy of them.

ceejay
2006-10-18, 15:44
I only have channels 1 - 6 is this normal ?

No! In the UK you should have channels 1-13 to choose from. Probably a limitation of your router/WAP... unless you've not told it correctly which region you are in?

Ceejay