X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grimholtz
    • Apr 2006

SB3 crashes

Hi,

I just received my second SB3 and am trying to set up its wireless networking. I accidentally entered the wrong static IP address (192.168.1.x instead of 192.168.2.x -- I don't use DHCP) and now, whenever I try to fix it by going through "set up networking", the SB reboots right after I choose my SSID.

I successfully connected to a neighbor's WLAN and connected to SqueezeNetwork. I changed the SB3's IP, then tried to connect back to my SSID with the same results: the SB3 reboots right after I choose my SSID. By "reboot" I mean the display goes blank and, after a moment, I get the "SLIM DEVICES" splash screen and have to start all over in networking setup.

FWIW, my network uses WPA encryption and the neighbor's uses no encryption. I have another SB3 that connects to my network (wired) with no problems. It used to connect wirelessly to my network, but now it's hardwired. For kicks, I tried connecting this other SB3 wirelessly to my network (like it used to be), and when I get to the screen to enter the "WPA password" (it has a few asterisks instead of an area where I can enter the 65 hex-digit WPA pre-shared key), it, um, says "malloc failed" and reboots.

When I powered up the new SB3 for the first time, I was able to enter the 65-digit WPA pre-shared key. I can no longer get to that screen or to any of the other WLAN screens (ip address, subnet mask, dns server, etc). I do have two laptops connected wirelessly so I know the network works.

Both SB3s have firmware version 55. Is the WPA implementation in SB3 buggy? Help! What should I do?

Thank you,
    grimholtz
    Last edited by grimholtz; 2006-10-15, 03:07.
  • kdf
    NOT a Slim Devices Employee
    • Apr 2005

SB3 crashes

On 14-Oct-06, at 7:03 PM, grimholtz wrote:

>
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just received my second SB3 and am trying to set up its wireless
    > networking. I accidentally entered the wrong static IP address
    > (192.168.1.x instead of 192.168.2.x -- I don't use DHCP) and now,
    > whenever I try to fix it by going through "set up networking", the SB
    > reboots right after I choose my SSID.
    >

try a factory reset:
    press and hold power, until the SB3 resets. press and hold add through
    the display of the logo until you see the screen say "factory reset"
    this clears all IP/wireless settings so that you can start anew.

-kdf

Comment

• grimholtz
      • Apr 2006

thanks, that worked.

Comment

Working...