PDA

View Full Version : Kaleidescape demo

Lowrent
2006-10-13, 14:45
I just saw a hands-on demo of the Kaleidescape system from the north eastern rep who came at the office. Amazing interface and hardware... at an amazingly high price.

The music browsing system lacks a ton of features we have in our beloved SlimServer but the browse by cover is really cool and shows what kind of power could be delivered through a Flash interface.

I'm gonna evaluate what kind of speed I can get with the SlimServer socket and Flash over the weekend. I'll also scan the forums for any Flash thread. I remember someone was already working on something.

L.

funkstar
2006-10-14, 13:10
Someone was working on a Flash interface for use with a PSP, but i think he ran into some problems and i think it was with the PSPs Flash implimentation. Might have been Cardinal Fang, but could be wrong on that.

Lowrent
2006-10-16, 05:38
It was me. :)

I worked on an html skin for the psp and was disappointed by the speed. I then switched to Flash to be able to use the CLI and receive events but Sony removed all socket from the flash player.

Someone (Mike Schiff) has a ton of work already done in Flex (a kind of Flash) but his work is more geared toward playlist management (drag'n drop).

What I want to do is more like a toy, to browse your collection in a new way, with things flying all over the screen.

funkstar
2006-10-16, 14:02
well i was wrong, sorry about that Lowrent :)

CardinalFang
2006-10-16, 14:26
Someone was working on a Flash interface for use with a PSP, but i think he ran into some problems and i think it was with the PSPs Flash implimentation. Might have been Cardinal Fang, but could be wrong on that.

Yup, I started off using OpenLaszlo and it all went swimmingly until I found out that the PSP flash implementation doesn't allow you to use sockets from the Flash code, so no-go for the moment :-(

OpenLaszlo is definitely the way to go for development though, very easy to connect to databases (if supported in the version of Flash on the device!) It would probably work really well on a PC, but I've moved onto other things for the moment.

The picture below shows as far as I got before I discovered that sockets don't work :-(