PDA

View Full Version : Must I retire my Linkstation 1?

Charlie Richman
2006-10-12, 15:42
I've been really happy with my Linkstation 1 and my SqueezeBox 1, but the times they are a changing. I've particularly liked that the Linkstation was cheap, small, quiet, low-power, ran SlimServer 5.4, and acted as our family fileserver. I followed the basic instructions for getting root, got the dev tools and Perl, and never reflashed it.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my Squeezebox, and gather that Slimserver 6.5 might be too hard to install or too resource intensive for my Linkstation 1. I'm still looking for a cheap, small, quiet, low-power solution that doubles as a file server.

I could use some advice. Is it time to go beyond a NAS-only solution and add a low-powered PC or mac? It seems straightforward to build mini-itx systems, but comparatively expensive. Maybe an old laptop with USB storage or using the NAS as well? I don't see an inexpensive and elegant solution, and was wondering if there were others here with limited budgets who don't want to keep a big power supply running all the time.

Thanks folks.

Charlie Richman

shvejk
2006-10-12, 18:30
I have recommended HP e-Vectra Pentium III on this forum before.
It is a low cost, almost silent, solution, however limited to one hard drive only.
I have recently upgraded my setup to 400 GB drive and it works great.
See this for more info:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19781

Charlie Richman
2006-10-14, 17:48
Thanks -- the e-vectra looks very promising!

What 400 gig drive did you use? I'm wondering how much attention I need to give to comparing the power and cooling requirements of the new drive to the old (and whether there's any problem dropping a 3.5" drive into that 5.25" bay.

shvejk
2006-10-15, 14:18
I've got Seagate ST3400632A
It is quiet and I do not have any heating problems.
5 years warranty is also o good thing when you plan to run it 24/7.

my e-Vectra ( also known as e-PC ) is an old C10 model
the look is a bit outdated, but the design is actually quite cool
there is a separate small cover which allows you to replace the hard drive without opening the whole PC

BTW buy a model with 256MB RAM
there is only one memory slot and the required memory modules are expensive to purchase separately

Cheers,

Charlie Richman
2006-10-15, 19:48
This forum and eBay are both wonderful things. My E-PC is on it's way. Thanks again.

I'm curious -- what OS do you run on it? This looks like a good opportunity to play with Ubuntu or something similar, but Win2k should work just fine too...

Charlie Richman
2006-10-24, 14:12
Shvejk, thanks! The HP eVectra seems to be exactly what I was looking for. It's small, cheap, low-wattage, and pretty quiet. I dropped in a 250gig drive and loaded Ubuntu Server 6.06, with only the expected problem of a BIOS that doesn't know about 250gig hard drives. After figuring out how to get a small /boot partition in place, the rest was really quite easy -- including adding sshd for headless use and slimserver via apt-get.

6.5 on the eVectra beats the heck out of 5.4 on my linkstation 1!

Thanks again,

Charlie

DanielPZ
2006-11-22, 09:48
I'm interested in the e-Vectra. Could someone provide some more detailed information about (a) what is the largest HDD I can put in without any modifications and (b) how to go about putting in a larger hard drive than the bios limitation? Many thanks in advance.

georgem
2006-11-22, 10:14
I've been really happy with my Linkstation 1 and my SqueezeBox 1, but the times they are a changing. I've particularly liked that the Linkstation was cheap, small, quiet, low-power, ran SlimServer 5.4, and acted as our family fileserver. I followed the basic instructions for getting root, got the dev tools and Perl, and never reflashed it.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my Squeezebox, and gather that Slimserver 6.5 might be too hard to install or too resource intensive for my Linkstation 1. I'm still looking for a cheap, small, quiet, low-power solution that doubles as a file server.

I could use some advice. Is it time to go beyond a NAS-only solution and add a low-powered PC or mac? It seems straightforward to build mini-itx systems, but comparatively expensive. Maybe an old laptop with USB storage or using the NAS as well? I don't see an inexpensive and elegant solution, and was wondering if there were others here with limited budgets who don't want to keep a big power supply running all the time.

Thanks folks.

Charlie Richman
If Linkstation 1 worked fine for you, you might want to look at the next generation of this product. I have personall experience with Kurobox HG that is the 'enthusiast' line of current Linkstation (PPC, 266 MHZ, 128MB memory, Giga ethernet). I have followed wikis to flash it and had installed Fedora Core 5 on it. Installing slimserver was a piece of cake. It is still cheap, consumes 17W of power (I've measured) and it is quiet. I have 750 GB hardrive in it.

Slimserver was little bit sluggish on music folder browsing, but musically it worked just fine.

TiredLegs
2006-11-22, 11:01

I see that you already ordered another solution, but unless your Squeezebox upgrade is to a Transporter, you can run SB3's fine off a LinkStation 1 running Slimserver 6.3.x, with straightforward installation. (Slimserver 6.5.x as required for the Transporter would be different matter, due to the SQL complexities.)

PaulR
2006-12-20, 09:21
Regarding the HP E-vectra that has been discussed here, they seem to be commonly available 2nd hand with either with a Celeron(1-1.1GHz) or a PIII(750-900GHz) fitted. Both are available with 256Mbytes RAM.

Which of these will perform best for Slimserver web interface & AlienBBC transcoding?

shvejk
2007-01-04, 19:56
>Which of these will perform best for Slimserver web interface & AlienBBC transcoding?

I have not tried Celeron and I cannot precisely answer your question. All I know is that my PIII 800 MHz works great.

Details:

Music library contains 500 albums with 6486 songs by 264 artists.
Most songs are MP3 and WMA format.
SlimServer Version: 6.5.1
Windows XP ( TinyXP by eXPerience )
Alien BBC
Typical RAM usage as shown in Task Manager 160MB
Three SB3s ( one wired and two wireless ).
I also run RadioTime RedButton on the same PC, which does not seem to affect overall SlimServer performance.

Hope it helps.