PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk Behavior

joncourage
2006-10-12, 14:08
Basically, I'm interested to know if there's a difference between "Pause" and "Stop" as to the behavior of the hard disk.

If you "Pause", is the hard disk spinning continuously until you un-Pause?

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-12, 14:58
Your post is a little cryptic - at first I thought it wasn't even for this forum!

It's really a question for the developers but I did some checks with my SB2. It seems that while playing, the disc is accessed only as the buffer state requires it - it's often idle. When I hit pause, disc access continued for a second or two - I presume just filling the buffer back up, then disc access stopped. When I stopped the player, disc access stopped immediately.

So with the unit paused or stopped, there doesn't appear to be any disc access after a second or two, which is what I presume you want to know, i.e. what would be better for the hard disc life, keeping a unit paused for a long time or stopping it.

JJZolx
2006-10-12, 15:17
Your post is a little cryptic - at first I thought it wasn't even for this forum!

It's really a question for the developers but I did some checks with my SB2. It seems that while playing, the disc is accessed only as the buffer state requires it - it's often idle. When I hit pause, disc access continued for a second or two - I presume just filling the buffer back up, then disc access stopped. When I stopped the player, disc access stopped immediately.

So with the unit paused or stopped, there doesn't appear to be any disc access after a second or two, which is what I presume you want to know, i.e. what would be better for the hard disc life, keeping a unit paused for a long time or stopping it.
Of course you'd also need to have the server configured to do a drive spindown when idle. Most systems aren't configured to do that by default.

Doesn't SlimServer save its prefs/state every few seconds to disk? If so, it would mean the hard disk where that file is located will never be idle while SlimServer is running. I thought this activity was constant, but it could be that SlimServer is smart enough to only write things out when something has changed.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-12, 15:21
Of course you'd also need to have the server configured to do a drive spindown when idle. Most systems aren't configured to do that by default.

Doesn't SlimServer save its prefs/state every few seconds to disk? If so, it would mean the hard disk where that file is located will never be idle while SlimServer is running. I thought this activity was constant, but it could be that SlimServer is smart enough to only write things out when something has changed.

I don't have WOL or any kind of sleep state set up, I keep SlimServer running 24/7.

I suppose my discs keep spinning. All I could go by was disc access, and that seemed to stop.

radish
2006-10-12, 15:56
Spinning down a disc saves power, but it hurts the drive. If it's reliability you're after, keep the thing spinning.

But no, I can't imagine there's any material difference between stop and pause, the disc is accessed when data is needed and it's not needed in either of those states.

Pale Blue Ego
2006-10-12, 19:44
I work the hard drive until it gives up the ghost - it's there to serve my life, not the other way around!

They last a long time even with 24/7 playback on multiple SBs