PDA

View Full Version : Rack Mount SB3

tbh999
2006-10-12, 10:57
Has anyone used or seen the Middle Atlantic custom rack mount kit for the Squeeze Box 3? http://www.middleatlantic.com/rsh/rshcus2.htm

Their data base says it's available and I have used the Middle Atlantic custom rack kits for my other equipment (McIntosh, Tivo's, etc.) and have been pleased with them, but I'm unsure how it would fit/look with the form factor of the SB3. If anyone has a photo or link to a website that shows the installation it would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I do not have a SB yet. But am looking to replace my acting-up AudioTron. The form factor of the SB3 (which won’t fit in my 19" rack) is the only thing that is holding me back. I know that the Transporter is rack mountable, but the price is a little prohibitive for me.

Rick B.
2007-01-25, 11:38
I have my SB3 in a Middle Atlantic custom rackmount sleeve. It looks O.K., but there is a lot of sheet metal around it that makes it look a little out of place compared to my other, much wider, components. I'll try to get a pic for you if you like.

tbh999
2007-01-25, 19:06
Yes please, a picture would be much appreciated.

That was my concern. The SB3 is so small I'm concerned that it wouldn't look quite right sitting in a full size rack faceplate.

peejay
2007-01-26, 05:53
Yes please, a picture would be much appreciated.

That was my concern. The SB3 is so small I'm concerned that it wouldn't look quite right sitting in a full size rack faceplate.

Whack in a couple of analogue VU meters in the face plate, with the associated circuitry to drive them, and that would make make a picture I think.

Rick B.
2007-02-12, 05:36
Here's a close and long shot of the SB3 in a Middle Atlantic rack with sleeve:

fathom39
2007-02-12, 06:23
I have my SB3 in a Middle Atlantic custom rackmount sleeve. It looks O.K., but there is a lot of sheet metal around it that makes it look a little out of place compared to my other, much wider, components. I'll try to get a pic for you if you like.

Don't be so hard on yourself... it looks great!

Craig
2007-02-12, 07:33
If you want to rack mount it then you'd be better off picking up an SB2 then it will fit in 1VU and look neater too.

Craig

nicketynick
2007-02-12, 10:34
Here's a close and long shot of the SB3 in a Middle Atlantic rack with sleeve:

You've got some sort of IR control device running things - is it the CommandIR Mini, or something else?

Just curious.....

Rick B.
2007-02-12, 10:50
No problem. I'm using a Xantech connecting block to distribute IR signals to my components.

Some of my components are easy - just plug into the IR-in jack at the back. But others don't have an IR jack, hence the mouse emitters. That's what you see dangling in front of the SB3.

The emitters have a sticky adhesive side that can be stuck in place, but that is the "low power" side. The SB3 needed the reverse "high power" side of the emitter pointed at it to work correctly.

Cheers,

web161
2007-02-13, 05:42
I hope it's not too much of a bother...

Would it be possible to see a snapshot of the back of the rackmount kit. I'd like to see if they included wire tie points or if they only support the SB3 itself.

Thank you in advance.

web

Rick B.
2007-02-14, 07:07
Hi, Web. Not sure exactly what you are looking for. The rack basically supports the SB3 and has the custom sleeve attached to it.

In fact, the SB3 sits too low to match up to the cutout on the sleeve so you can see that I have had to raise it up on pieces of wood and hold in place with ductape.

coferk
2007-02-17, 20:48
This might be a really bad question, but why are you using the RCA plugs instead of one of the digital outputs?

jeffmeh
2007-02-18, 06:44
To use a digital output you must run it to a device with a DAC (digital to analog converter). The Squeezebox has its own DAC that feeds the analog outputs. As to which approach is better, it depends upon your audio system configuration, the quality of the external DAC, and your own subjective preferences.

Rick B.
2007-02-18, 09:21
And...I don't have any unused Digital connections available on my A/V receiver.

Also, as my receiver is several years old I believe the DAC on the SB3 is better than the DAC on my receiver.

tbh999
2007-02-22, 19:59
That doesn't look too bad, but there sure is a lot a black space around the unit. Maybe I should cut my own and put two SB's in it so that two of my zones can play music independently.

But, I don't have 3U's to spare in my 19" rack…unless...I haven't used my VCR is three years or so, and it's, I think, 3U's high…

I guess you gave me some food for though. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Rick B.
2007-02-23, 07:28
If only I could convince my wife that a Transporter would look so much better...

I also had to remove my VCR to get space in the rack. Haven't used it in 2 years.

tbh999
2007-02-25, 19:25
The Transporter has a much higher visual WAF. However, the $2,000 has a very low WAF.

Also, I am very happy with the DAC build into my McIntosh and don't need the high-end DAC in the Transporter.

kenn
2007-11-10, 13:03
I am interested in rack mounting a transporter. Have asked SlimDevices and they say they have a kit on the drawing board, but haven't yet produced it.

A number of other people in our stereo group are waiting until a rack mounting kit before they purchase a transporter.

I have been waiting a couple of months. I was told in August that a product was just around the corner. Now that I think of it, I didn't ask what corner.

Does anyone know of an off the shelf set of "rack mounting ears" that will fit?

Does anyone know how to influence "them" to move around the corner.

Rick B.
2007-11-13, 07:41
Middle Atlantic makes a sleeve for the Transporter that fits their shelving units.

iPhone
2007-11-13, 08:50

Hey Rick, The rack looks great. It looks fine for its size and I feel the contrasting color helps. It would be my opinion that an all Black SB3 would really look out of place because of the all black SB3 blending in with the black sleeve panel.

Nice in-wall rack mount by the way. Is this your HT or Listening room or both? Is the wall open in back, in a closet, or what?

Rick B.
2007-11-13, 10:22
Thanks for the compliments. The rack is actually in my den that we use as a bar. My HT is in the family room. Behind the rack, believe it or not, is a 10 foot by 2 foot "secret room" that the seller of the house advised us about. I can access the back of the rack for quick needs via a small door at the back of a closet opposite the rack. For major work, the whole rack slides out on a sort of railway stand.

I also have stereo inwall speakers in the kitchen, dining room, living room and den. My brother and I ran all the wiring - more than 2500 feet!

Each room has inwall remote sensors so I can access all functions from any room. I use a Harmony remote to control everything. As I need to see the SB screen to use it you can bet that I'm a big potential customer for a Jive Remote!

Cheers,