PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer 6.5 on a NSLU2

zupidupi
2006-10-09, 11:53
Hi folks,

I'm trying to run SlimServer on my slug (NSLU2). Installing the package has been a rough ride, but I've finally succeeded, thx to this forum. One problem remains, though.

I start up the server with the command

./slimserver.pl --user slim --prefsfile /etc/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /etc/slim-data --d_server --d_scan

and everything looks fine. My SqueezeBox (and Softsqueeze) finds the server, which is nice. Naturally I don't forget telling the server where it can find my music files. I haven't built my database yet, so I browse my music with the "Browse directory"-command. The proper directories and files are found, which is even nicer. But - when I press Play I get the message "Problem: Can't open file for..." and I get no sound.

So, I wonder, what should I do now? Are there some owner permissions I've missed. My user slim belongs to the group everyone (which the music files and directories belong to). Or are there some command line flags or serversettings I should set?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Zup

cyrusblack
2006-10-09, 15:35
I don't know if this is relevant but I had that same error message when trying to play apple AAC m4a files from Synology DS106/SSODS.

The problem was in the mov/aac entries in the convert.conf file which required some changes to work correctly as there is no mov123 converter present. With some helpful advice from this forum, now works ok. This thread may be helpful

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=28437

PatPowerMan
2006-12-29, 06:37
@zupidupi:

Have you found a solution for your problem?

Could you please tell us the necessary steps to install the SS6.5 on a NSLU2? Unfortunately, my Linux-skills are not good enough to solve all the errors by myself.

And could you tell us something about the speed/response time for the combination "NSLU2/SS6.5/MySQL"?

Any help would be great!!

squeezeslug
2007-01-08, 09:30
I've had these problems in the past as well, but that was because I installed SlimServer 6.5.0 with the same procedure as release 6.3.1. Installing release 6.5.x with the directions found on this forum solved my problems.

Because the directions I used are scattered in differtent topics I wrote a addition to the wiki about installing release 6.5.x on http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Applications/SlimServer

PatPowerMan
2007-01-08, 10:42
Thank you very much for the installation steps!! It is a big help!