PDA

View Full Version : 6.5.1 - dos window keeps opening

ModelCitizen
2006-10-08, 04:52
I upgraded from 6.5 to the 6.5.1 nightly from the 06th Oct using SlimServer_6.5_v2006-10-06.exe. I now find that whenever I hit play for any track on the SlimServer web gui that a blank dos box opens up. I've upgraded using last nights nightly (SlimServer_6.5_v2006-10-08.exe) but still the same thing happens. Has anyone else had this? I normally use the Fishbone tan skin and have tried reverting to the default skin but it makes no difference.

I am sure this is probably not related but (just in case...) when I installed the latest nightly (stopping Slimserver first via the tray icon), a file (can't remember which) would not install into C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread until I had gone to task manager and killed the mysqld.exe process.

MC

ModelCitizen
2006-10-08, 05:12
In addition my Slimserver service startup type has been changed from Automatic to Manual (it's possible that the account it uses has been changed from an Administrator account to a local account too, but can't be certain).
MC

James
2006-10-08, 05:58
I think this is the new SlimTray app. Dan says it will pop up a cmd window when spawning external processes.
To revert to the normal service based config, right click on the SlimTray icon, stop SlimServer and change the startup type to 'automatically run at system start' and restart SlimServer.

I get the error writing msqld.exe on each upgrade as well. I guess it's not a problem until the MySQL version actually changes...

James

JJZolx
2006-10-08, 08:53
I'm really surprised this was committed to the stable 6.5.1.

If the new SlimTray reconfigured the service on its own, then it's be a pretty large bug.

Aside from the ugly windows opening up, the biggest issue here is that it requires a user to be logged on. So if someone chooses this and decides to log off the computer when they're not using it, there goees SlimServer. What happens when one user logs off the computer and another logs on? Isn't that going to interrupt any music streams coming from the server when SlimServer shuts down and then restarts? Has this been tested with XP's fast user switching?

Was this ability added only to enable the use of mapped drives? There are much better ways to address that issue.

ModelCitizen
2006-10-08, 10:54
Was this ability added only to enable the use of mapped drives? There are much better ways to address that issue.
I have always been surprised that Slimserver does not either install itself under a user account that has network access or creates one itself whilst installing. The mapped drives issue for Windows is a hardy perennial here. It's a query that comes up with annoying frequency.
However, not being much of a computer bod there are probably issues with creating accounts that I do not understand.
MC