PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Scanner crash No Errors

fish
2006-10-07, 10:26
Sorry to bring this up again, I've searched all the posts and cannot find anyhing which helps.

I have scanner.exe crashing when I do a scan. I've used the cmd line but when it crashs it doesn't give a back trace or errors it just stops on a track saying it successfully added it, then nothing else. I've also tried turning off antivirus.

I tried MP3 checker and did find some supposedly dodgy tracks which even when removed it still crashed. I've put them back now as they play fine and were fine under 6.2.1

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried different builds of 6.5, 6.5.1 and 7.0. I'm currently running 6.5.1.

fish
2006-10-08, 04:11
I've now identified that scanner.exe is crashing because of a problem in perl58.dll

Any thoughts

NeilB
2006-10-08, 04:49
Just something to try - can you possibly install slimserver on another machine and see if you get the same problem?

fish
2006-10-08, 09:05
Just tried that but linked back to the same music library. Same error. There is obviously a bug in the scanner program that doesn't allow it to skip say a bad song or something....

Looks like back to 6.2.1 which does work. Quite dissapointed really.

mherger
2006-10-08, 12:23
> Just tried that but linked back to the same music library. Same error.

Try running the scanner with the d_info and d_scan parameters.

> There is obviously a bug in the scanner program that doesn't allow it
> to skip say a bad song or something....

I have seen problems in perl58.dll with temporary folders containing a lot
of old garbage. Make sure you clean _all_ temporary folders on your system.

> Looks like back to 6.2.1 which does work.

6.5.1 does work for me.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

fish
2006-10-08, 13:40
Solved

I've tried emptying the temp folders and everything else mentioned.

I've now got it sorted by using MP3 Clinic 4.2 and found some tracks which the tags had no title on. I added titles and scanner will scan past them.

It would appear there is a bug which crashes scanner.exe when it sees a "corrupted file"

Hope that helps people.

kirsch
2006-11-13, 00:19
Thanks Fish... I tried editing all of the MP3 Tags and scanner.exe still crashed...

However, I took it a step further and found where it was crashing..

In my library I had a file called "stream.M3U"..
As soon as I deleted this file I had no more problems. My guess is that something within scanner.exe was picking up this file and trying to do something with it. Possibly it thought an M3U file should be included in the library and it was looking for a tag of some type.

Anyway, maybe this will help someone debug the pearl that is causing this problem.