PDA

View Full Version : Browse by custom tag ?

Lowrent
2006-10-06, 20:14
Hi all,

I have started re-ripping my cds in FLAC (it sounds way much better than my 192kbps mp3s).
I include extra tags in my files :

- LABEL
- SOURCE (vinyl or cd or live)

Would it be easy to program a plugin that would allow me to browse by label or source.
I would also like to add that information in the file information in Now Playing.

Thanks for giving me some clues.

L.

ps : i'm a programmer btw, not afraid to code it myself.

erland
2006-10-06, 21:55
Would it be easy to program a plugin that would allow me to browse by label or source.
I would also like to add that information in the file information in Now Playing.With the Custom Browse plugin you can create browse menus based on any information thats stored in the slimserver database. The problem with LABEL and SOURCE is that these tags will not be stored in the slimserver database. As I see it you have a number of solutions:

1. Store the information in one of the tags that slimserver is able to handle and use the Custom Browse plugin. You could for example use the COMMENT tag which is imported to the slimserver database.

2. Make a plugin that implements a custom scanning process. I'm not completely sure, but I think there is no way to hook in your code so its called for every scanned track. But I know you can make a custom scanner that scans all files by it self. To make it as simple as possible its probably best to make the scanner with an algoritm like:
- Read all tracks from the slimserver database
- For each file read the LABEL and SOURCE tags
- Store the information in the LABEL and SOURCE tag in a new separate table and use the track identifier (or url) as the key
When you have the information in the slimserver database you can use the Custom Browse plugin to make the browse menu.

3. You can make a plugin that reads the information from the tags in runtime, the problem here is performance. If you have a browse menu that lists all tracks with source=vinyl you would have to read all tracks in slimserver database and detect which one is vinyl or not. Doing this at the time the user right click will probably not work since it will take to much time. So some sort of caching has to be done, which also brings us back to solution 2.

Of course you don't have to use the Custom Browse plugin at all, you can also implement the browse mechanism in your own plugin. But indepdendent if you use the Custom Browse plugin or not I think you will have to start with getting the information into the slimserver database.

I don't think its possible for a plugin to add information to the Now Playing sub menus, but it might have changed since I looked at it last time.

ceejay
2006-10-07, 01:29
Or, please visit and vote for the following enhancement request!

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2700

This was intended as one of a set to improve the lot of classical listeners, but this (and most of the others) have much wider application than that...

Ceejay

Lowrent
2006-10-07, 07:57
Thanks Ceejay, i voted. Request 5 is what i need.
I'll tell my friends about it too ;)

durufle
2006-11-08, 09:08
I'm wondering if a solution has developed for this? I am starting to rip my cd's into single flac files with external cue sheets and *for me*, an ideal solution to the whole classical tagging issue would simply be to allow me to add some additional tags to the cue sheet and have the ability to search using this data within slim server. I know some people won't agree, but I'd gladly fund a the development of a plugin (similar to idea #2 above) -- the way I see it, it would provide the freedom to add all the information I want.

So, anyone up to the task?

erland
2006-11-08, 09:37
I'm wondering if a solution has developed for this? Have a look at the Custom Scan plugin, it contains a Custom Tag scanning module that scan additional tags and store them in the slimserver database. The standard slimserver can't use the extra information, but if you also install the Custom Browse plugin it's possible to build your own browse menus based on the additional tags.

ceejay
2006-11-08, 09:48
One snag is that to do this "properly" (define this for yourself!) I don't think you can use (just) plugins - it needs changes to the core slimserver code and the database schema, which is why I've been campaigning to get this taken up as part of the mainstream slimserver development!

Ceejay

erland
2006-11-08, 09:55
One snag is that to do this "properly" (define this for yourself!) I don't think you can use (just) plugins - it needs changes to the core slimserver code and the database schema, which is why I've been campaigning to get this taken up as part of the mainstream slimserver development!I completely agree, Custom Scan is just a temporary solution. So if anyone is interested in this functionallity and choose to use Custom Scan, please also remember to vote on the feature request mentioned earlier in this thread.