PDA

View Full Version : Browse Files ?

Ken Stuart
2006-10-05, 09:37
Hello,

I happen to not have my music files arranged in a "Media Library" with
"Playlists". I have music files all over 3 hard disk drives.

Often, the thing that I want to listen to with SlimServer is something that I
just acquired - an MP3 file that someone sent me, or a "podcast" that I
downloaded to my PC in MP3 form, are two examples.

I don't want a program to scan through all 3 hard disk drives, and catalog all
the hundreds of music files, each time that I want to listen one new music file.

What I want to do is just to "browse" my hard drive(s), find the file and load
it.

In Winamp, I can do this with File->Play File...

Is there some plugin to SlimServer (or option unknown to me) that will allow me
to simply open a file on my hard drive ?

--
Thanks,

Ken

andyg
2006-10-05, 09:48
Browse -> Music Folder ?

Ben Sandee
2006-10-05, 09:52
On 10/5/06, andyg <andyg.2f7rtb1160067001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Browse -> Music Folder ?

Andy, would you recommend setting the music folder to c:\ or /? I think
that's what he's look for, effectively.

Ben

jeffluckett
2006-10-05, 09:54
Browse -> Music Folder ?

That won't work, since he said he's got his music cast all over as many as three separate hard drives.

That is ... unless he wants to put shortcuts in his music folder to all the locations he could possibly want to have music stored.

andyg
2006-10-05, 09:59
If you're using iTunes and haven't specified a music folder path, then there's no way to browse by music folder. Currently SlimServer only supports a single music folder, so using shortcuts is a good solution.

smac770
2006-10-06, 18:45
Slim Server only allows access to what has been cataloged, no? I see no random impromptu file access method.

Creating softlinks or junction points is easy for the purpose of consolidating many directory points under a single location, but that still requires the cataloging of new material before Slim/SB can utilize it.

stinkingpig
2006-10-06, 18:51
On 10/6/06, smac770 <smac770.2fabhb1160185801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Slim Server only allows access to what has been cataloged, no? I see no
> random impromptu file access method.
>
>
Browse Music Files.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

wr420
2006-10-06, 21:01
Create a directory somewhere. ie c:\mymusic
Inside that directory create 3 shortcuts. One to the root of each drive or directory on each drive holding you music.
Point slim to the dir c:\mymusic
Now when you add music just use the browse music function and you will be able to access all your drives through the c:\mymusic directory.
Once you add the track to the now playing playlist it will automatically add it to the DB.
I assumed your using windows and not using Itunes. As mentioned previously the browse music function does not work with Itunes.
And yes I know what happpens when you assume. You make an ASS out of U and ME. Ya I know, speak for myself..

Lowrent
2006-10-06, 21:09
A nice feature worth adding to SlimServer 7 would be a "NewMusic" folder.

The server could scan that folder every x minutes to see if new music has been added. If it's the case, simply add the information to the database and move the files to the normal music storage folder.

That would avoid scanning the whole huge library to simply have access to some new file via the standard browse by pages.

The AudioRequest works that way (and it's the only thing i like about it...).

ceejay
2006-10-07, 01:45
A nice feature worth adding to SlimServer 7 would be a "NewMusic" folder.

The server could scan that folder every x minutes to see if new music has been added. If it's the case, simply add the information to the database and move the files to the normal music storage folder.

That would avoid scanning the whole huge library to simply have access to some new file via the standard browse by pages.

The AudioRequest works that way (and it's the only thing i like about it...).

Since the scanner now exists as a separate program, you could *very* easily write your own script to do something like this.

Or do what I've done: I already had scripts to manage the copying/placing of files in the right places on my server, I just added the line

"c:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\scanner" --rescan g:\libraries\slim

at the end.

Yes, I do know its scanning the whole library, but it only takes 10 minutes [YMMV !!!]

HTH

Ceejay

Lowrent
2006-10-07, 08:18
"c:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\scanner" --rescan g:\libraries\slim

Yes, I do know its scanning the whole library, but it only takes 10 minutes

Could i scan the new folders one by one instead of scanning the whole library ?

a) new album dropped (L:\new music\Jack Costanzo\Latin Fever)
b) scheduled script notice the new album
c) moves the file to the library (L:\library\Jack Costanzo\Latin Fever)
d) and starts "c:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\scanner" --rescan "L:\library\Jack Costanzo\Latin Fever"

I guess I could have tried instead of asking... :)