PDA

View Full Version : FairPlay News - a way forward?

NeilB
2006-10-04, 16:13
http://featured.gigaom.com/2006/10/02/dvd-jon-fairplays-apple/

Jez
2006-10-04, 16:33
I saw this and obviously was interested. But on reading deeper, what Jon is offering is the ability to ADD Fairplay DRM (or a clone of it) to content to enable it to play on Apple systems.

I'm not sure exactly who this helps, but I'm probably being dim. As far as I'm aware most Apple stuff will play non-DRM content, but I guess that could change. It also wouldn't surprize me if Apple charge a hefty sum for DRM-ing your content if you're a label or whatever. So I guess this is a way of chipping away at the overall monopoly they have.

But in terms of the your Squeezebox playing iTunes store content, it doesn't help . . yet

mkozlows
2006-10-04, 18:01
I saw this and obviously was interested. But on reading deeper, what Jon is offering is the ability to ADD Fairplay DRM (or a clone of it) to content to enable it to play on Apple systems.

I'm not sure exactly who this helps, but I'm probably being dim.

Anyone who wants to sell music that will play on an iPod -- think Rhapsody, Napster, Yahoo, or anyone else who licensed DRM from Microsoft. They'd LOVE to have their stores work with iPods.

Of course, this isn't really that, because if Apple didn't license it, Apple can (and based on historical precedent, will) break it whenever it feels like it.

stinkingpig
2006-10-04, 18:14
On 10/4/06, mkozlows <mkozlows.2f6k2b1160010301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Jez;143068 Wrote:
> > I saw this and obviously was interested. But on reading deeper, what Jon
> > is offering is the ability to ADD Fairplay DRM (or a clone of it) to
> > content to enable it to play on Apple systems.
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly who this helps, but I'm probably being dim.
> >
>
> Anyone who wants to sell music that will play on an iPod -- think
> Rhapsody, Napster, Yahoo, or anyone else who licensed DRM from
> Microsoft. They'd LOVE to have their stores work with iPods.
>
> Of course, this isn't really that, because if Apple didn't license it,
> Apple can (and based on historical precedent, will) break it whenever
> it feels like it.
>
>
Clarification -- anyone who wants to RENT music that will play on an iPod.
Emusic, Magnatune, and the other DRM-free music stores sell music that will
play on an iPod right now, because iPod plays un-encumbered MP3s just fine.

You're spot-on with the second paragraph though. DVD Jon will spend the next
few months touring those companies for the dog-n-pony, but he's not going to
sell enough licenses to cover his plane fare.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

EnochLight
2006-10-04, 21:01
The only thing I care about is being able to play my iTUMS purchased songs on my Squeezebox. If DVD Jon can swing that with Steve and Slim Devices, then I'm a happy camper.

If not, then QTFairUse is my tool of choice. ;-)

NeilB
2006-10-05, 00:13
Sorry guys, should've clarified the post with some reason for it's existence. I realise that the news story says he's able to license the tech to enable non-Apple devices to play DRM files but I read that as a bit of a smoke screen, with the fact that he's cracked the DRM being the *actual* news story, for interested parties who, like many here, want to play ITMS songs on their SqBoxes.

Kind of a half-step to nirvana, if you like.

:)