PDA

View Full Version : Tagging Issue

ceepan
2006-10-04, 13:42
I opened up MP3 Tag and a lot of my MP3 files appear to not have tags. However when I look in Slimserver they do have tags. One example shows that the TAG version is ID3v2.3.0. Is there an option to stop showing certain tag types?

stinkingpig
2006-10-04, 14:11
On 10/4/06, ceepan <ceepan.2f680z1159994701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I opened up MP3 Tag and a lot of my MP3 files appear to not have tags.
> However when I look in Slimserver they do have tags. One example shows
> that the TAG version is ID3v2.3.0. Is there an option to stop showing
> certain tag types?
>
>
If there is no tag information, Slimserver will guess at what it's supposed
to be, using things like the filename and directory path. So if you have an
untagged file named 04 A Cautionary Song.mp3 sitting in /music/The
Decemberists/Castaways and Cutouts, it will probably figure out the right
information.

Still, it's better to get the tags right, and Mp3Tag is good at that. One
important thing to do IMHO is to wipe out the id3v1 tags and force
everything to be id3v2. Having differences between the two formats will make
things difficult for you.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

ceepan
2006-10-04, 23:33
That is what I tried to do, and it now appears that the tag info has gone missing. If I look at the files in MP3 Tag, all that can be seen (using extended tags right click option) is that of the replay info that I applied. Is this what the ID2 info that Slimserver is reporting. I have about 17000 songs and don't really want to have to retag it all.

ceejay
2006-10-05, 11:11
If the information is there in the directory path / filename then mp3tag will generate tags for you - all in one go if you like, though you might want ot try it on just some of your library first!

Ceejay

ceepan
2006-10-05, 23:31
Only some tracks have the information in the filname. Things such as GENRE aren't included in the filename. Looks like I will need to redo them all!

ceejay
2006-10-06, 01:46
OK, but it shouldn't take too long. With mp3tag you can select huge chunks of your library and make the same change to all of them at once...

Ceejay

ceepan
2006-10-06, 04:16
That is true. The problem comes when I need to add DISCNUMBER tags etc. I am still unsure what happened. I had backed up the files before I tried to remove ID3v1 tags and apply ID3v2 tags. After this completed the tags appeared to be there. As a result I deleted the old versions of the files. I have upgraded the version of MP3Tag since. Currently I have APE, ID3v1 and ID3v2 slected for read and write. None are selected under remove. I'll try and remove the APE and ID3v1 (but backup before).

Any advice?