PDA

View Full Version : New Qnap firmware strips out image exif data?

happyfishman
2006-10-04, 12:23
Sorry... this is not strictly a Qnap/Slimserver issue, but it is a possible indicator of a change/bug in the new firmware (and I wouldn't know where else to go)...

I have noticed that since installing the new firmware any images that are transfered to the 'multimedia' drive do not get their details (name, resolution, file size, file date) displayed on the 'multimedia station' page. The photo information box just states "No EXIF information". Not having the file name displayed is extremely irritating!. Anything transferred prior to the update has all the information displayed as normal.

To check, I have tried transferring existing images with the data currently displayed off and then back to the Qnap and it appears that the information is lost when the new thumbnail is generated. Has anyone else seen this problem?

funkstar
2006-10-05, 03:10
I'm guessing that it is a side effect of the change in the way SS generates the thumbnails. If i remember right, previous versions used to use HTML for resizing the images, making them look pretty horrible but it was still the same graphic no matter the size. Now however they are actually resized before sending to the browser, the code for re-sizing obviously isn't copying over the EXIF data. You might want to raise a bug for this, but i don't know how feasable it is top copy the EXIF data while re-sizing.

happyfishman
2006-10-05, 07:20
I'm guessing that it is a side effect of the change in the way SS generates the thumbnails. If i remember right, previous versions used to use HTML for resizing the images, making them look pretty horrible but it was still the same graphic no matter the size. Now however they are actually resized before sending to the browser, the code for re-sizing obviously isn't copying over the EXIF data. You might want to raise a bug for this, but i don't know how feasable it is top copy the EXIF data while re-sizing.

I think you've misunderstood me, Funkstar. I have not yet migrated to SS6.5, so I don't think it's a SS problem (if that's what you meant). This problem has occurred since installing the most recent Qnap firmware. However, your explanation may still hold for the Qnap image display functionality...

funkstar
2006-10-05, 12:15
Ok, my mistake, i should have read your post closer :)

So what is producing the thumbnails? Is it an photo server app in the TS-101? I have to be honest that i've only ever used my unit for SS, and now even migrated that onto an HTPC.

happyfishman
2006-10-05, 12:50
Ok, my mistake, i should have read your post closer :)

So what is producing the thumbnails? Is it an photo server app in the TS-101? I have to be honest that i've only ever used my unit for SS, and now even migrated that onto an HTPC.

Yes it's the web photo server (called 'Multimedia Station'). In the thumbnail page holding the mouse over a thumbnail did give a pop-up box with the photo information; selecting and displaying an image should have the exif information in a box next to the image - but not any more...

Norman5007
2006-10-07, 01:36
I am running Version 1.2.1 build 0822 and thumbnails and exif data are displayed correctly for old and newly uploaded .jpg's

Maybe you have an issue with your cam software?

happyfishman
2006-10-07, 02:04
I am running Version 1.2.1 build 0822 and thumbnails and exif data are displayed correctly for old and newly uploaded .jpg's

Maybe you have an issue with your cam software?

Strange... No, can't be that. I have tried images from a range of sources. I have also checked the new images with viewing software while loaded on the Qnap and the data are still associated with the images, but when they are loaded/updated on the Multimedia Station pages the information is not recognised or logged.

If no-one else is having this problem I guess I have to conclude that my firmware didn't install correctly. I'll try a reinstall...

happyfishman
2006-10-07, 02:32
Reinstalled firmware - still same problem...

I have established that the data are there but the Qnap image display software has stopped recognising it for images transferred after the update to the 1.2.1 firmware.

This is really irritating because standard out-of-camera filenames cannot now be seen in full on the thumbnail page and not at all on the full image display page.

Anyone have any ideas?

simonjedrake
2006-10-07, 13:41

I have just checked my Qnap multimedia option & am able to comfirm that I can also view as per above. Looks like your issue is not Qnap related.

Simon

funkstar
2006-10-07, 15:01
Could it be a combination of the software Qnap use to produce the thumbnails and the EXIF data itself? I'm sure i read somewhere that the EXIT data 'standard' isn't very rigid and compatability problem do occur

How about trying files from a diffrent souce (different DigiCam manufacturer for example) and seeing if those work?

EDIT: Wikipedia has a good page on this. Appears Exif (*not* EXIF) is quite a fragile set of mets data with some serious disadvantages.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXIF

happyfishman
2006-10-08, 01:23
I'm still thinking this has to be a problem with my Qnap...

I have tried various combinations of transferring direct out-of-camera images (so no software intervention), moving images already on the Qnap off and then back again, simply creating a copy of an existing image on the drive. Anything that forces the creation of a new thumbnail also results in a loss of ability to display image data. I have used AcdSee to compare the data carried by non-displayed images and it is exactly the same as the original! For some reason my Qnap has suddenly lost the ability to access or read any data associated with images.

Alongside the music server function the image sharing ability is something I use a lot, often needing to refer to an image remotely, so this is a bit of a blow...

Any further ideas welcome...

happyfishman
2006-10-16, 14:15
Just for info if anyone else has this problem...

I have discovered that if I create new folders and transfer the files to them, the exif data is miraculously resurrected. My Qnap seems to have suffered a 'glitch' which has rendered all my existing folders unable to support exif data after a particular date (I'm still pretty sure it was when I updated to the new firmware). Anyway, transferring all my files to newly created folders, deleting the old folder and renaming the new with the old folder name seems to have fixed it.

Strange huh?

funkstar
2006-10-16, 14:18
indeed it is.

Good to hear you have a work round for it though.