PDA

View Full Version : QNAP TS101s Will Not Run SS6.5

Jerryacg
2006-10-04, 07:40
QNAP TS101s Will Not Run SS6.5...Can anyone contradict this statement? or explain to me how to get SS6.5 running on a QNAP.To date 1 member of this forum has got a QNAP working with all the advertised features running correctly. I find it difficult to understand how a forum can be packed with posts discussing how to change how the needles look on the SB noise meter display, yet only a few people are mentioning the fact that the latest version of the software we all use appears to be incompatible with the hardware a lot of us use. Or if it IS compatible, why havent there been any posts stating this, and advising the increasing amount of users suffering problems, what we are doing wrong.

Fifer
2006-10-04, 07:52
Mine works. Am I the one member?

Jerryacg
2006-10-04, 07:56
Mine works. Am I the one member?

Excellent.. A response. I know we've conversed on this before.Remind me. Did you get the HDD drive to spin down, and do you have alienBBC running?

Deano
2006-10-04, 08:58
There's 2 of us!!

I'm running SS6.5 on my recently purchased TS-101 with 1 SB connected via a Devolo Home plug thing.

Everything works perfectly including alienBBC and the SB menu system is very responsive indeed.

However,
1. The HDD drive won't spin down.
2. The SS web interface takes roughly 2-6 seconds, depending on the page.

I figure we ARE pushing the TS-101 to it's current limits.

So I have expressed my interest in a memory upgrade to Paul @ Progressive, when & if this becomes available.

Until that time I am more than happy with this set up.

I hope:

1. SS will be improved so it needs less memory.
2. There will be an inexpensive memory upgrade available in the not so distant future.

But all in all. I love this product, it has changed the way I listen to music,

fuelled a passion for collecting it & made my home a much nicer place. (not sure my neighbours would agree!)

mav
2006-10-04, 09:07
Slimserver 6.5, Alien BBC, running 2 wireless squeezeboxes with all music and slimserver on Qnap TS101.

System works well, disc spins down ok - only issue is very slow web front end, but don't really use this.

mav

Jerryacg
2006-10-04, 09:45
There's 2 of us!!

I'm running SS6.5 on my recently purchased TS-101 with 1 SB connected via a Devolo Home plug thing.

Everything works perfectly including alienBBC and the SB menu system is very responsive indeed.

However,
1. The HDD drive won't spin down.
2. The SS web interface takes roughly 2-6 seconds, depending on the page.

I figure we ARE pushing the TS-101 to it's current limits.

So I have expressed my interest in a memory upgrade to Paul @ Progressive, when & if this becomes available.

Until that time I am more than happy with this set up.

I hope:

1. SS will be improved so it needs less memory.
2. There will be an inexpensive memory upgrade available in the not so distant future.

But all in all. I love this product, it has changed the way I listen to music,

fuelled a passion for collecting it & made my home a much nicer place. (not sure my neighbours would agree!)

Its the spinning down of the disc which is the problem. Reading throught the forum. Memory upgrade seems unlikely.Difficult to believe that any new versions of SS will need less memory.

Jerryacg
2006-10-04, 10:06
Slimserver 6.5, Alien BBC, running 2 wireless squeezeboxes with all music and slimserver on Qnap TS101.

System works well, disc spins down ok - only issue is very slow web front end, but don't really use this.

mav

Hi Mav

You're the one forum member I referred to in my original note. Just a thought, but as you do seem to be the only person in the forum who's got the QNAP Hard Disc to spin down it would be really usefull if you keep an eye on any posts from Paul at Progressive AV (name ultra238a) who is looking into this issue.

Fifer
2006-10-04, 10:49
Excellent.. A response. I know we've conversed on this before.Remind me. Did you get the HDD drive to spin down, and do you have alienBBC running?

No, but it never did before with previous versions as I haven't really tried. Out of interest, does anyone who has got the disc to spin down use the print server function?

BTW, your original question was "QNAP TS101s Will Not Run SS6.5" They do, even if the disc doesn't spin down surely?

mav
2006-10-04, 12:06
I have disabled everything on the Qnap apart from Slimserver - I dont need the print server function, as our main printer has a network card, and I have plugged it directly into the router.

By the way - why is disc spinning down such an issue?

mav

Jerryacg
2006-10-04, 12:41
No, but it never did before with previous versions as I haven't really tried. Out of interest, does anyone who has got the disc to spin down use the print server function?

BTW, your original question was "QNAP TS101s Will Not Run SS6.5" They do, even if the disc doesn't spin down surely?

Hi Fifer

Can't say about others using the print server function as I use the QNAP solely for slimserver.Certainly the QNAP runs SS6.5. But the disc spin down is a major selling point of this product, and possibly the reason many users bought into it rather than other NAS solutions. There are also many posts in this forum (including Pauls) that would suggest that the hard disc not spinning down is a result of the lack of memory in the unit, that would appear to be not upgradable. And that does not bode well for future releases of Slimserver, that will presumably be more DRAM hungry,effectively shutting the door on being able to follow the SS software upgrade path. For instance. The latest version of softsqueeze will only run with 6.5.

Jerry

Jerryacg
2006-10-04, 12:58
I have disabled everything on the Qnap apart from Slimserver - I dont need the print server function, as our main printer has a network card, and I have plugged it directly into the router.

By the way - why is disc spinning down such an issue?

mav

Hi Mav,

The disc spinning down feature was the deciding factor for me, and presumably others, when choosing the QNAP over other NAS products. A few months ago this was a major subject on the forums, which took a long time to sort. QNAP themselves taking it on board, and including it specifically in the few release notes of their latest firmware release. If it wasnt an issue, why not just go and buy a Dell PC and dump it all on that. If I recall correctly (sorry if I'm wrong) you've recently bought your QNAP. Well during the, admittably hot summer, mine, and others' QNAPs got too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. Purely down to the fact that they were running all day everyday. Inspite of reassurances that this was OK etc etc. I would not, and neither would any electrician, trust the longevity of any electrical appliance that ran that hot for that long. Obvious other reason is that the QNAP makes a noise. I've got mine sitting next to the sub woofer, so when its playing, the subs drowning the noise. But when theres no sound, the QNAP still whirrs away. I think, fundimenatlly, if you buy a product that claims it has certain features.Then those features should work.

Jerry

Paul_B
2006-10-04, 13:20
QNAP 1.2.1 and Slimserver 6.5

All seems to work as before apart from web interface being very slow (memory issue)

My HDD spins down, indicated by LED, intermitantly. However, it did this before 6.5. All QNAP services such as web, multimedia, p2p, etc all turned off, no print server. I do use for client backups with NetBak Replicator but I can't find a pattern of spin-down working and not working. Wish we had some logging on the QNaP

mav
2006-10-04, 13:41
Hi Jerry

Thanks for the info on disc spinning down - have to say it makes a lot of sense - I will keep checking for posts from Progressive as you suggest - I hope that these problems are solved before too long, otherwise it could damage the reputation of what seems to be an excellent product.

mav

bonze
2006-10-04, 13:42
QNAP 1.2.1
Slimserver 6.5.0
360 albums, 4848 songs
1 SB (so far ;))

Works well but, as others have said, web interface painful.

HDD seems to spin down occasionally, I think.
There's a noise every now and then of a drive coming back to life, not sure what gives it a kick.
I'm not sure whether the green 'Status' is supposed to go off when it spins down??

Jerryacg
2006-10-04, 14:10
QNAP 1.2.1
Slimserver 6.5.0
360 albums, 4848 songs
1 SB (so far ;))

Works well but, as others have said, web interface painful.

HDD seems to spin down occasionally, I think.
There's a noise every now and then of a drive coming back to life, not sure what gives it a kick.
I'm not sure whether the green 'Status' is supposed to go off when it spins down??

The last QNAP firmware release notes have details of the LED indicators. When the disc spins down the Green Status Light will go off. Leaving The Blue Power light on. This indicates that the disc is asleep. The amber LAN light may flicker but this does not affect the sleep function. If the amber HDD light flickers, it indicates that the hard drive is being accessed. (like a PC). Whilst this light is flickering, the hard disc will not sleep. This HDD access, preventing the disc from spinning down, is the difference between SS6.3 and 6.5.

Jerry

Fifer
2006-10-04, 14:25
The disc spinning down feature was the deciding factor for me, and presumably others, when choosing the QNAP over other NAS products.

If it wasnt an issue, why not just go and buy a Dell PC and dump it all on that.

Well during the, admittably hot summer, mine, and others' QNAPs got too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. Purely down to the fact that they were running all day everyday. Inspite of reassurances that this was OK etc etc. I would not, and neither would any electrician, trust the longevity of any electrical appliance that ran that hot for that long.

The disc spinning down wasn't a consideration for me when I bought the QNAP. I wanted something low noise with no fan that would reboot automatically after power interruption and it does all that.

My QNAP gets hot, (well, warm really) but not unbearably so. I'm an electronics engineer (with electrical engineering qualifications too) and I've no concerns about the operating temperature of mine or its longevity.

I'm not trying to pick holes and it's fair that you want an advertised feature to work, but I'm just trying to get some perspective on what seems (to me) to be a minor issue.

EDIT: I just noticed that my status light is off. I guess it does spin down after all ...

peterbell
2006-10-04, 15:35
I'm just wondering whether disc spin-down is related to what power-off screen-saver is configured. I have the weathertime screensaver enabled on one of my SBs. I guess I could try turning this off.

Jerryacg
2006-10-05, 01:26
I'm just wondering whether disc spin-down is related to what power-off screen-saver is configured. I have the weathertime screensaver enabled on one of my SBs. I guess I could try turning this off.

Peter

If you want to pursue the spin down issue, there are several posts in the thread QNAP UPDATES. The issue was extensivly discussed during the summer. Various settings seemed to work, to sum up the main points, youre trying to setup the Squeezebox(s)so they dont have to access the hard drive on the QNAP. So as you've already worked out, turning the screensave to 'none' when off seemed to work. Several members recommended setting the browser refresh to a very high number, though mine sleeps running 6.3 with the default 30. The key for me was setting the the screensaver when not playing to off, but also, crucially, after adjusting any setting, performing a 'Clear database and rescan everything'. That action seems to do much more than just reviewing the music files. However none of these actions will get my Qnap to spin down running 6.5.

Jerry

Jerryacg
2006-10-05, 01:43
The disc spinning down wasn't a consideration for me when I bought the QNAP. I wanted something low noise with no fan that would reboot automatically after power interruption and it does all that.

My QNAP gets hot, (well, warm really) but not unbearably so. I'm an electronics engineer (with electrical engineering qualifications too) and I've no concerns about the operating temperature of mine or its longevity.

I'm not trying to pick holes and it's fair that you want an advertised feature to work, but I'm just trying to get some perspective on what seems (to me) to be a minor issue.

EDIT: I just noticed that my status light is off. I guess it does spin down after all ...

Fifer

Thanks for the comments.It is interesting because getting the Qnap to reboot automatically after power interruption, is a feature that i'd never consider. Please feel free to pick holes. I started this thread in an attempt to get this issue discussed, and hopefully to get information on what can be done to rectify it. Have you any opinions on the practicality of adding memory to the TS101s?

Jerry

Fifer
2006-10-05, 02:08
Jerry

Fifer

Thanks for the comments.It is interesting because getting the Qnap to reboot automatically after power interruption, is a feature that i'd never consider. Please feel free to pick holes.
I said that as I was concerned that I might seem to be picking a fight, which wasn't my intention.

I started this thread in an attempt to get this issue discussed, and hopefully to get information on what can be done to rectify it.
And that's absolutely the right thing to do. It does seem strange that some of us can get the Qnap to spin down with 6.5 (even if I only realised so last night) and others cannot. There is obviously an issue which needs to be fixed. It's a minor one from my perspective (even before I realised mine was working) but I appreciate that YMMV.

Have you any opinions on the practicality of adding memory to the TS101s?
Being an electronics engineer, I'm happy to solder a couple of memory chips to the motherboard if someone can provide me with the chip spec and any other pertinent data. I'd hope that some sort of mail-in upgrade process could be set up where people return their Qnaps (sans HD) to have the board swapped out for one with upgraded memory and returned fairly swiftly.

Apologies again if I've seemed argumentative. It wasn't my intention.

roamingstudio
2006-10-05, 05:14
Just a quick thought - those for who the spin down works - could you give info on the:

* type of disk (name, size, cache, speed - Sata I or II)

* Version of the PCB board of the QNAP.

Im thinking there has been a revision change of the PCB's; so maybe older vs newer? The QNAP may also be sending the 'spin down' command somewhat incorrectly - and therefore some drives interpret it right; and others not.

I have ordered some new memory and will try it. I had not heard from Paul @ Progressive to find out which memory they used which worked - although a lack of reply might mean this is not the fault. QNAP were most unhelpful!. In the LONG LONG term I will also look at seeing if it is possible to enable the swap file on a USB stick (a la Synology) but unfortunately day job has to come first.

Jerryacg
2006-10-05, 05:51
Just a quick thought - those for who the spin down works - could you give info on the:

* type of disk (name, size, cache, speed - Sata I or II)

* Version of the PCB board of the QNAP.

Im thinking there has been a revision change of the PCB's; so maybe older vs newer? The QNAP may also be sending the 'spin down' command somewhat incorrectly - and therefore some drives interpret it right; and others not.

I have ordered some new memory and will try it. I had not heard from Paul @ Progressive to find out which memory they used which worked - although a lack of reply might mean this is not the fault. QNAP were most unhelpful!. In the LONG LONG term I will also look at seeing if it is possible to enable the swap file on a USB stick (a la Synology) but unfortunately day job has to come first.

Has Paul made any recent statements re upgrading the memory on the Qnap? With regard to my Qnap, the disc will spin down when running SS6.3 but will not, when running 6.5. So my opinion is that the problem is with the Slimserver software being to hungry.

Fifer
2006-10-05, 06:07
Has Paul made any recent statements re upgrading the memory on the Qnap? With regard to my Qnap, the disc will spin down when running SS6.3 but will not, when running 6.5. So my opinion is that the problem is with the Slimserver software being to hungry.

But not just that as we know of at least two situations where discs do spin down with 6.5. There might be some merit in roamingstudio's suggestions.

Jerryacg
2006-10-05, 07:07
But not just that as we know of at least two situations where discs do spin down with 6.5. There might be some merit in roamingstudio's suggestions.

Absolutly. I'm also looking forward to Paul's (progressive) thoughts on the subject.

simonjedrake
2006-10-05, 13:59
I was one of the very 1st Qnap TS-101 purchasers back in early 2006, & have always kept it upto date with Firmware & SS updates upto 6.3.1............but after all the forum discussion I held back upgrading to 6.5.0. I just did not want to upset a very stable platform that did every thing a GOOD TS-101 should do, it even went to sleep every night all by itself.

But I have been champing @ the bit, and last night I bit the bullet & went for it. After much disc activity whilst it crunched away indexing I now have a very happy little TS-101 doing exactly what it did before, even AllienBBC is up & running. I was very pleased that it even brought across all my SS settings etc.

Just one little problem, it getting tied as something is not allowing it to sleep at all. It thinks it's the SS software as it was able to sleep for hours on end with the latest firmware on SS 6.3.1.
So if any one has any ideas on a sleeping pill prescription for a Qnap TS-101 I will be pleased to hear from you. I like the discussion about using a USB chip as additional memory if we could get the firmware altered to allow this.
I await any news.
Simon

Jerryacg
2006-10-06, 01:49
I was one of the very 1st Qnap TS-101 purchasers back in early 2006, & have always kept it upto date with Firmware & SS updates upto 6.3.1............but after all the forum discussion I held back upgrading to 6.5.0. I just did not want to upset a very stable platform that did every thing a GOOD TS-101 should do, it even went to sleep every night all by itself.

But I have been champing @ the bit, and last night I bit the bullet & went for it. After much disc activity whilst it crunched away indexing I now have a very happy little TS-101 doing exactly what it did before, even AllienBBC is up & running. I was very pleased that it even brought across all my SS settings etc.

Just one little problem, it getting tied as something is not allowing it to sleep at all. It thinks it's the SS software as it was able to sleep for hours on end with the latest firmware on SS 6.3.1.
So if any one has any ideas on a sleeping pill prescription for a Qnap TS-101 I will be pleased to hear from you. I like the discussion about using a USB chip as additional memory if we could get the firmware altered to allow this.
I await any news.
Simon

Hi Simon,

The spin down problem is the issue. Opinions vary on whether or not this is important. Some guys think it is, some do not.

Jerry

Heuer
2006-10-06, 02:43
It seems there are three possibilities: SS 6.5, SB3 firmware or the latest Qnap firmware. I have the first two and spin down works. Has anyone tried powering off the SB3 (pulling the power plug) and seeing if the TS-101 disk then spins down? There must be some combination that is causing the problem.

Tortoise
2006-10-06, 04:02
I have the latest Qnap firmware, with all services (web, printserver etc) disabled on the Qnap. SS6.3.1 (have never attempted the upgrade to 6.5), and the squeezebox player's screensaver set to 'none'. The disk spins down.

simonjedrake
2006-10-06, 04:27
Hi Simon,

The spin down problem is the issue. Opinions vary on whether or not this is important. Some guys think it is, some do not.

Jerry

I am one of those who DO think it is an issue, but at leaast we are in agreement that the current "Spin Down" issue is only effecting users who have/had already upgraded the Qnap Firmware to the latest version AND have SS 6.5.0.

I wonder when we will see SS 6.5.1 made available to us which has fixed a couple of minor bugs - Paul?

Simon

simonjedrake
2006-10-07, 13:51
It seems there are three possibilities: SS 6.5, SB3 firmware or the latest Qnap firmware. I have the first two and spin down works. Has anyone tried powering off the SB3 (pulling the power plug) and seeing if the TS-101 disk then spins down? There must be some combination that is causing the problem.

Heuer. I have tried above & still it does NOT spin down (I even disconnected the Qnap from the network).....and that is with nothing attached/connected......just SS 6.5.0 running on the latest Qnap firmware. Food for thought....esp as on same firmware running SS 6.3.1 it slept like a baby on command.

Simon

Jerryacg
2006-10-08, 04:15
Heuer. I have tried above & still it does NOT spin down (I even disconnected the Qnap from the network).....and that is with nothing attached/connected......just SS 6.5.0 running on the latest Qnap firmware. Food for thought....esp as on same firmware running SS 6.3.1 it slept like a baby on command.

Simon

Thats precisly the experiences I've had with 6.5.

Heuer
2006-10-08, 04:46
Are you running the latest Qnap firmware?

Jerryacg
2006-10-08, 04:48

I am, not sure about Simon. Ironically it was the latest QNAP firmware release that specifically addressed the spin down issue, and is referred to in their release notes.

Jerry

simonjedrake
2006-10-08, 14:09

Heuer. Yes, I am running latest Qnap Firmware:-

1. Old Firmare - SS 6.3.1 - Qnap HDD spins down, then
2. New Firmware - SS 6.3.1 - Qnap HDD spins down, then
3. New Firmware - SS 6.5.0 - Qnap HDD no longer spins down, even when disconnected from Network

This to me indicates that SS 6.5.0 must be trying to "poll/access" something that stops the HDD from sleeping.

Simon

Heuer
2006-10-09, 01:52
No that is the Slimserver/Squeezebox firmware. There is a new Qnap firmware release V1.2.1 Build 0822 released 29/08/06. Have you upgraded to that?

Heuer
2006-10-09, 02:30
Odd but I have just noticed my Qnap has stopped spinning down its disk - will investigate further!

mav
2006-10-09, 03:07
Morning all

I thought that I would post an update to this thread, as previously I had reported no problems with SS 6.5 plus latest Qnap firmware.

I continued to rip my music collection to the Qnap last week, and added album artwork and correct tag info etc. I noticed at the weekend that the previous spin down behaviour had stopped working, and that the disk was spinning all the time - I checked first thing on Saturday, Sunday and this morning, and found that instead of a cold dormant Qnap, it was still spinning, and warm to the touch.

It appears that my experience of having a correctly functioning setup is now at an end, and I must join the "Constant Spinners" club.

(I am not sure whether this is relevant, but I now have about 50Gb of files on the disk, as opposed to only 20Gb when I reported no problems.)

mav

Heuer
2006-10-09, 03:24
Well if I pull the ethernet plug from the Qnap it sleeps. It also sleeps if I point the SB3's at another server (in this case a ReadyNAS NV). My guess is the SB3 f/w 64 is polling the SS 6.5 and stopping the disk from spinning down. Some of you may recall a similar problem with SS 6.3 which was overcome by switching off screensavers/clocks etc. Unfortunately this process seems hidden and there are no obvious culprits - guess it will be a case of tweaking until we hit on the right combination.

Any other thoughts?

Fifer
2006-10-09, 05:12
Well if I pull the ethernet plug from the Qnap it sleeps. It also sleeps if I point the SB3's at another server (in this case a ReadyNAS NV). My guess is the SB3 f/w 64 is polling the SS 6.5 and stopping the disk from spinning down. Some of you may recall a similar problem with SS 6.3 which was overcome by switching off screensavers/clocks etc. Unfortunately this process seems hidden and there are no obvious culprits - guess it will be a case of tweaking until we hit on the right combination.

Any other thoughts?

My thought is that it isn't quite as simple as that since some of us do have the Qnap spinning down fine with 6.5 and the latest SB and Qnap firmware.

simonjedrake
2006-10-09, 05:18
Well if I pull the ethernet plug from the Qnap it sleeps......... guess it will be a case of tweaking until we hit on the right combination.

Any other thoughts?

Heuer
Unlike your Qnap, mine does not even sleep when the ethernet plug is pulled...............Like you say, it is going to be a case of us just trying changes to the SS 6.5.0 SERVER options until one of us "stumbles" upon the answer.

Simon

Heuer
2006-10-09, 05:30
Precisely, so there may be particular settings in your SB3 configuration that allow spin down, others that inhibit it. My settings are:

Basic:
Device name = IP address
Now Playing Information = Small Spectrum
Screensavers = Now Playing; None; None: 30secs

Alarm:
All = Off

Audio:
Sync = None
Sync Vol = Don't
Sync Power = Separately
Power On Resume = Stop/Restart Song
Turn Off Audio = Always On
Crossfade = None
Crossfade Duration = 0
Digital Vol = Volume Control adjusts digital vol
Preamp Vol = 63
Audio Startup = 0
Lame = 0
Bitrate Limit = No limit
Vol Adjust = Smartgain selection

Display:
Brightness 4; 0; 4; Auto
Font = Light
Standby = Standard
Scroll = Standard
Scroll Pause = 3.6; 3.6
Scroll Rate = 0.15; 0.1
Pixels 7; 7

Menus = standard 10 items
Remote = SlimDevices; JVC

Anyone with OK spindown care to match this config to see if it breaks it?

Fifer
2006-10-09, 06:12
I'm at work Heuer, so don't have access to SS. The only thing I can see that might be different is the 'auto' option at the end of Brightness. Remind me what the last of the four options refers to?

Heuer
2006-10-09, 06:24
Automatic Display Brightnes:
Adjust Brightness Automatically
or
Adjust Brightness Manually

Just noticed that one of my SB's had Brightness when Off set to 1; the other was 0. Have now made sure both SB's are matched and, out of curiosity, have switched Brightness to manual.

staresy
2006-10-09, 07:03
An interesting point to note...

I had the spin-down problems after I went to 6.5 so I went back to 6.3.1 and this cured the problem. However, I do notice that every hour, on the hour, the QNAP spins up and does something and then goes to sleep after the 10 min time out.

Not sure what it does - thought it might have been the QNAP synchronising to an external time source; changed this setting from every hour to every 7 days - still no difference.

Each hour QNAP wakes up.... strange eh?

Jerryacg
2006-10-09, 07:19
Precisely, so there may be particular settings in your SB3 configuration that allow spin down, others that inhibit it. My settings are:

Basic:
Device name = IP address
Now Playing Information = Small Spectrum
Screensavers = Now Playing; None; None: 30secs

Alarm:
All = Off

Audio:
Sync = None
Sync Vol = Don't
Sync Power = Separately
Power On Resume = Stop/Restart Song
Turn Off Audio = Always On
Crossfade = None
Crossfade Duration = 0
Digital Vol = Volume Control adjusts digital vol
Preamp Vol = 63
Audio Startup = 0
Lame = 0
Bitrate Limit = No limit
Vol Adjust = Smartgain selection

Display:
Brightness 4; 0; 4; Auto
Font = Light
Standby = Standard
Scroll = Standard
Scroll Pause = 3.6; 3.6
Scroll Rate = 0.15; 0.1
Pixels 7; 7

Menus = standard 10 items
Remote = SlimDevices; JVC

Anyone with OK spindown care to match this config to see if it breaks it?

I maybe wrong, but Mav was the only guy who got his Qnap to spin down running 6.5, and now his has stopped sleeping too. So if anyone else on the forums has SS6.5 spin down on a QNAP, please submit a post. But confirm that the HDD has actually stopped spinning by checking the status of the LEDs. I suspect that several users who think their QNAPs are sleeping, maybe mistaken.

bonze
2006-10-09, 07:28
Just thought I'd add my setup to help confuse everyone.

SS 6.5.0
QNAP 1.2.1
Drive won't sleep.

I only have the one SB3 at the moment which is located at the bottom of the garden in the summerhouse.
When not in use this is switched off at the mains so won't be polling the SS.

I have restarted by QNAP from the Administrator menu, so when I go into SS there are no squeezeboxen listed.
And yet it won't go to sleep.

So is it SB polling SS, or SS polling SB ??

Fifer
2006-10-09, 07:28
I maybe wrong, but Mav was the only guy who got his Qnap to spin down running 6.5, and now his has stopped sleeping too. So if anyone else on the forums has SS6.5 spin down on a QNAP, please submit a post. But confirm that the HDD has actually stopped spinning by checking the status of the LEDs. I suspect that several users who think their QNAPs are sleeping, maybe mistaken.

My Qnap is definitely spinning down with 6.5 and the new firmware. The "Status" LED goes out and I do notice that it's running significantly cooler than it used to. I'm very surprised as I didn't notice that it was doing it until I started to pay attention after this thread started. The bizarre thing is that I'm sure it didn't used to do it and the only significant change I've made is the upgrade to 6.5 (although I'm sure that's just coincidence).

Jerryacg
2006-10-09, 08:13
My Qnap is definitely spinning down with 6.5 and the new firmware. The "Status" LED goes out and I do notice that it's running significantly cooler than it used to. I'm very surprised as I didn't notice that it was doing it until I started to pay attention after this thread started. The bizarre thing is that I'm sure it didn't used to do it and the only significant change I've made is the upgrade to 6.5 (although I'm sure that's just coincidence).

Just a thought. But the only time I got mine to spin down after installing 6.5 was on its first reboot, before I installed AlienBBC. Do you run AlienBBC?

Fifer
2006-10-09, 08:30
I installed the "all-in-one plugins" update for 6.5 (I might have even installed the AlienBBC stand-alone for 6.5, but I can't remember) but I don't think I've used AlienBBC since the upgrade.

roamingstudio
2006-10-09, 08:58
If the telnet issue can be resolved we could look to see what PID's (processes) are running. Something could be running by accident.

Heuer
2006-10-09, 09:02
Just a thought. But the only time I got mine to spin down after installing 6.5 was on its first reboot, before I installed AlienBBC. Do you run AlienBBC?

No never bothered with it. In fact I have no plugins, only the standard 6.5.

I have just tried moving one SB3 to a different server leaving the other on the Qnap. Still no disk spin down. Moved second SB3 to the NV, unplugged and reinserted ethernet cable in TS-101 and still no spin down. Seems it is not the SB3's that are keeping the disk awake after all - looks internal.

The ReadyNAS NV spins down no problem running 6.5 so it would seem to be the Qnap implementation of Slimserver is the problem.

Jerryacg
2006-10-09, 09:31
No never bothered with it. In fact I have no plugins, only the standard 6.5.

I have just tried moving one SB3 to a different server leaving the other on the Qnap. Still no disk spin down. Moved second SB3 to the NV, unplugged and reinserted ethernet cable in TS-101 and still no spin down. Seems it is not the SB3's that are keeping the disk awake after all - looks internal.

The ReadyNAS NV spins down no problem running 6.5 so it would seem to be the Qnap implementation of Slimserver is the problem.

Interesting. We seem to be returning to the lack of RAM theory which Paul (Progressive) suggested being the most likely cause of the problem a few days after 6.5 was put on the upgrade page. Has anyone had any feedback from Paul since he put a couple of units on trial in an attempt to identify the issue?

Paul_B
2006-10-14, 05:09
I have just purchased and built a Mini-ITX based server running Windows 2003 R2 and unfortunately my QNAP TS-101 has been confined to the task of just a NAS storage area. The Mini-ITX machine flies in comparison to the QNAP hosted Slimserver when using the web interface