PDA

View Full Version : Compilation settings

JJZolx
2006-10-03, 22:02
Even though I've been been using SlimServer for almost two years and have been involved in countless discussions about compilation albums, when I read the Compilations settings text, I'm _still_ confused.

Here it is:

You can choose to have compilation albums appear together under "Various Artists" or have them appear under each artist in the compilation.

- List compilation albums under each artist
- Group compilation albums together

Albums that contain songs that are tagged with a band may be listed under that band name or with the other artists for that album. The band tag is also known as TPE2 and may appear as the "album artist" in some software.

- List albums by all artists for that album
- List albums by band

When compilation albums are grouped together, they appear under "Various Artists" by default. You can change that name below.
[ ]

I think the crux of my comprehension problem is that the instructions talk about listing _albums_ when these settings would appear to actually control the _artists_ that are listed.

I think I understand what the first setting is intended to do. Does the following make more sense to anyone other than myself?

You can choose to list all artists that appear on compilation albums, or you can group all compilation albums together under a single artist named "Various Artists".

- List all artists that appear on compilation albums
- Group compilation albums together under a single artist name

Then there's the other setting regarding BAND/TPE2/ALBUMARTIST. I just plain don't understand what this setting is intended to do. How does it control the treatement of compilations and does the behavior depend at all on the first setting?

Does either setting actually control _which_ albums might be recognized as compilations, or is that fixed within the logic of the library scanner?

slimpy
2006-10-04, 01:51
I think the crux of my comprehension problem is that the instructions talk about listing _albums_ when these settings would appear to actually control the _artists_ that are listed.

It controls how compilation albums are listed when browsing by artist.

I think I understand what the first setting is intended to do. Does the following make more sense to anyone other than myself?

Quote:
You can choose to list all artists that appear on compilation albums, or you can group all compilation albums together under a single artist named "Various Artists".

- List all artists that appear on compilation albums
- Group compilation albums together under a single artist name

Makes sense, but the original phrasing was already crystal clear to me (and I'm not even a native speaker).

Then there's the other setting regarding BAND/TPE2/ALBUMARTIST. I just plain don't understand what this setting is intended to do. How does it control the treatement of compilations and does the behavior depend at all on the first setting?

Does either setting actually control _which_ albums might be recognized as compilations, or is that fixed within the logic of the library scanner?
This has absolutely nothing to do with how compilation albums are recognized.
It gives you the possibility to have an album listed under an artist that is not a performer on the album.
E.g. "Blue Note Trip Scrambled-Mashed" is a compilation album compiled by Jazzanova. By setting the band tag to Jazzanova you can have it listed under Jazzanova even though none of the songs have Jazzanova as artist. Also when browsing by album it will be displayed as "Blue Note Trip Scrambled-Mashed by Jazzanova"
This behaviour does not depend on the "Group compilation albums" setting.

-s.

JJZolx
2006-10-04, 02:51
> the group compilations setting

It controls how compilation albums are listed when browsing by artist.
Right, it's primarily intended to control the artists that appear in the artist list, which isn't clearly stated in the settings text. It's almost like you need to know what the setting does before you can decipher the instructions.

> the BAND setting

This has absolutely nothing to do with how compilation albums are recognized. It gives you the possibility to have an album listed under an artist that is not a performer on the album.

E.g. "Blue Note Trip Scrambled-Mashed" is a compilation album compiled by Jazzanova. By setting the band tag to Jazzanova you can have it listed under Jazzanova even though none of the songs have Jazzanova as artist. Also when browsing by album it will be displayed as "Blue Note Trip Scrambled-Mashed by Jazzanova"
This behaviour does not depend on the "Group compilation albums" setting.
Ah, that's a bit clearer now. Thanks. Using that album as an example, it will be seen as a compilation because the track artists differ.

So if the setting is set to

- List albums by band

then an artist named Jazzanova would appear under browsing artists. I wonder if the scanner marks the album as a non-compilation to accomplish this, or will it also appear under 'Various Artists'?

But if the setting is

this is less clear. If you had the first compilation setting at 'Group compilation albums together' then which setting takes precedence?

slimpy
2006-10-04, 03:38
So if the setting is set to

- List albums by band

then an artist named Jazzanova would appear under browsing artists. I wonder if the scanner marks the album as a non-compilation to accomplish this, or will it also appear under 'Various Artists'?
It will also appear under Various Artists.

But if the setting is

this is less clear. If you had the first compilation setting at 'Group compilation albums together' then which setting takes precedence?
Yes, this is less clear. I've never used this setting this way so I can't tell how it behaves.

One more use of the band tag:
There are artists who issue albums under their own name but sometimes they append things like Band/Quartet/Quintet... to their name.
In this case I use the band tag to have those albums listed under the artist name as well.
E.g. "Serenade to a Soul Sister" by "The Horace Silver Quintet" is tagged with "The Horace Silver Quintet" as artist and "Horace Silver" as band. This way the album is listed under "The Horace Silver Quintet" but also under "Horace Silver" together with all other Silver albums I have.

-s.