PDA

View Full Version : Farnell Cable for display?

niknik
2006-10-03, 15:30
Hi there!

Could anyone confirm if I could use this cable for the SB2 display:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=3295035&N=401

I know there is another (confirmed) one at Digikey
-but It's a little too short..

Regards
/Nik

mfieger
2006-10-04, 10:44
According to the datasheet on Farnell, the cable is compatible with the connectors in SB2. The pitch is 0.5mm, there are twenty conductors, and the same side of each end is exposed. If the cable length is 210mm, then there might be some signal integrity issues. The data might not make it to the display in a useable condition.

The cable could be cut to any desired length, but it involves hacking the cable apart.

Jitterbug
2007-02-14, 07:36
Nik,

Wondering if you ever tried this cable and what the result was. I don't think the length would have been a problem. I believe Sean said elsewhere that up to 12inches or so should be fine because the ribbon uses grounds between the signal wires.

niknik
2007-02-18, 14:04
Nik,

Wondering if you ever tried this cable and what the result was. I don't think the length would have been a problem. I believe Sean said elsewhere that up to 12inches or so should be fine because the ribbon uses grounds between the signal wires.

Never went for it :-)

Catapulted
2007-04-03, 12:23
I have just made my own cables using IDC connectors (I could only buy 2x8 pins) and some CAT 5 cable - works a treat. If a bit fiddly to make.

The short one works fine, I have made an extra long one, and I get errors on the display output, but I understand that this can be fixed with a capacitor.

I have also poached a cable from an old PC, which works fine

richard

* this was for a version 1 box, sorry, I don't have any experience with v2 boxes *