PDA

View Full Version : Album year vs track year (is there already an IDv3 tag for this?)

gutted
2006-10-03, 02:06
My collection has a number of "Greatest Hits" type albums.

I'm a but fussy with my music tags, and when I see a track I like to know whan that track was released, and not necessarily when the album was released. As such, I edit all my tags from compilation or best-of albums and correct the tag to show year of track (not year of album release).

I know some might think it a bit sad, but it's just the way I like to have it working.

Slim doesn't seem to like it. It might just be the whole various-artists problem that I've not correctly configured around yet, or it might be that Slim sees an album with the same artist but with loads of different year tags and gets upset. either way, Slim (quite correctly) doesn't know which year to display for the album because, according to my tagging, the "album" was released across a number of different years :)

Basically - is there already provision in the IDv3 tag to allow for

"Album year" - e.g. the year the compilation was released
vs
"Track year" - e.g. the date the track was originally released

If such a thing already exists, does anyone use it, and how is your Slim configured to deal with it?

Cheers!
Dan.

slimpy
2006-10-03, 04:04
ID3v2.4.0 has several native time frames:

TDEN
The 'Encoding time' frame contains a timestamp describing when the audio was encoded. Timestamp format is described in the ID3v2 structure document [ID3v2-strct].

TDOR
The 'Original release time' frame contains a timestamp describing when the original recording of the audio was released. Timestamp format is described in the ID3v2 structure document [ID3v2-strct].

TDRC
The 'Recording time' frame contains a timestamp describing when the audio was recorded. Timestamp format is described in the ID3v2 structure document [ID3v2-strct].

TDRL
The 'Release time' frame contains a timestamp describing when the audio was first released. Timestamp format is described in the ID3v2 structure document [ID3v2-strct].

TDTG
The 'Tagging time' frame contains a timestamp describing then the audio was tagged. Timestamp format is described in the ID3v2 structure document [ID3v2-strct].

I don't know if any of these are recognized by slimserver.
Most notably the well known TYER frame is no longer supported. 2.4 is now uses a consistent format (timestamp) throughout whereas 2.3 had a mixture of date, time and unformatted text frames.

Looking at the ID3v2.3 spec there are a couple of frames that you could use but I doubt that anything but TYER is supported in Slimserver.

ID3v2.3.0

TDAT
The 'Date' frame is a numeric string in the DDMM format containing the date for the recording. This field is always four characters long.

TIME
The 'Time' frame is a numeric string in the HHMM format containing the time for the recording. This field is always four characters long.

TORY
The 'Original release year' frame is intended for the year when the original recording, if for example the music in the file should be a cover of a previously released song, was released. The field is formatted as in the "TYER" frame.

TRDA
The 'Recording dates' frame is a intended to be used as complement to the "TYER", "TDAT" and "TIME" frames. E.g. "4th-7th June, 12th June" in combination with the "TYER" frame.

TYER
The 'Year' frame is a numeric string with a year of the recording. This frames is always four characters long (until the year 10000).

-s.

ID3 specification: http://www.id3.org/develop.html

gutted
2006-10-03, 04:08
Excellent - many thanks indeed.
Looks like the tags I should be using are

YEAR; and
TORY

Cheers for that!
Dan.

vandermerwe
2007-01-04, 15:46
Hello gutted

Did you get the TORY field to work with slimserver, or did you find any way of getting ss to recognise track years?

vandermerwe

JJZolx
2007-01-04, 16:08
I don't think this is going to do anything for you with regard to SlimServer. In the database orginization of SlimServer each album has a year. But each track also has a year. My guess is that the last track scanned for the album will dictate the year with which the album is stamped. It's probably this year that is used when refering to the album, such as in the sorting of albums by year and the year shown when browsing albums.

You might try doing a test using the Advanced Search. Since the Advanced Search finds tracks, it may well use the year of the individual tracks when searching. That's probably the only place the track year is used other than in the displayed data on the Song Info page.

For some reason the database also has a 'years' table. I'm not sure what it's used for - probably populating Browse by Years - although since you're browsing albums in that mode it should be simple to pull distinct years from the albums table.

smc2911
2007-01-04, 18:30
According to this http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerSupportedTags only TYER is supported by SS for mp3s. I agree that it would be nice to have album and track years handled separately.