PDA

View Full Version : Another 6.5 Missing Songs Problem



chiphart
2006-10-02, 10:54
...after switching from the 7.0 to 6.5/6.51 (there are some
plugins I can't live without), I can't seem to get a complete
scan of my collection. Worse, for the life of me, I can't seem
to get *any* debug information to help me figure out which
track(s) I presume have bad mp3 tags.

I have approximately 2K artists, 30K songs (iirc). After doing
a fresh install, I only get 728 artists. And I can see lots of
gaps in my artist lists. Clues and work:

- I've tried every debugging flag combo that makes any sense
to me (d_mp3, import, scan, *sql, etc.) and not only do I
fail to get error messages...I don't seem to get the logging
of the successful scans, either. Which I seem to remember
getting previously. [I've seen the other threads here about
this and I, too, only get
UPDATE contributors SET customsearch = ? WHERE ( id = ? ):
errors.]

- If I navigate to a missing directory, the tracks get
added to the DB, as expected.

- I've tried looking for new, clean and rescan, and even
removing the sql db.

- More than once, I've actually had the entire db picked up
(i.e., 2K artists show up) but it immediately disappears
once a rescan runs (like, over night).

- Of course, none of my gallery-view artwork is working. Only
when I drill down to an entry.

I am delighted to re-scan, try different debugging options, post
results, you name it. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 10122 - Debian - EN - utf8
Server IP address: 192.168.1.101
Perl Version: 5.8.7 i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 4.1.15-Debian_1ubuntu5


--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://www.pcc.com/~chip
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

chiphart
2006-10-03, 03:59
Chip Hart wrote:

As my wife says, I'm obsessed, so I spent a "little while" last
night until I came up with what seems like a successful brute
force method for finding the problem for our missing music under
6.51.

Our music is already divided into a hierarchy ("his" vs. "hers"
and then by genre), so I just browsed into the music folders and
hit "Play" on each one and watched the log until I found errors.
The goal was to effectively "add" the tracks until I figured out
where it died.

Note: running the global scan and using d_scan still didn't
produce any output (except to note that it started). It only
works as I add directories. Am I missing something?

After a while, I finally found a track (Therion:Vovin:Draconian
Trilogy, for those keeping score) whose tags were clearly
causing a problem. Not only would all my other CLI tag tools
barf upon trying to read/open it, but trying to add it three
times in succession while working on it caused mysql to crash!

Finally, I decided just to remove it and...bing! I haven't done
a full rescan, but it looks like ALL our music is there.

And - ironically - the album art works now. It makes me wonder
if the folks who are missing album are also missing tracks and
don't realize it?

This method, while gross, may make it possible for some folks to
track down the offending file(s).

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://www.pcc.com/~chip
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

dSw
2006-10-03, 12:20
I think the new scanning process is definitely a bit flakey. My first scan with 6.5 missed out large parts of my collection. I looked at the main SS log and there were loads of errors as follows:

'Use of uninitialized value in string eq at /usr/local/slimserver/lib/MP3/Info.pm line 823, <$fh> line 1.'

I did another scan just to make sure and suddenly everything was picked up OK.