PDA

View Full Version : "Bonus Track" handling

Jon
2006-09-30, 18:20
I have a number of CDs that include Bonus Tracks ... most notably, virtually all of my David Bowie CDs are loaded with bonus tracks. While I appreciate having all this extra music, somehow "Young Americans" does not sound quite right when it doesn't end with "Fame".

I would like to have these CDs play, by default, without the bonus tracks, then selectively play the bonus tracks when I feel like it. Are there any elegant ways to do this with SlimServer?

I suppose I could break these up by editing the tags to set the bonus tracks for a different album name from the main tracks (such as "Young Americans" and "Young Americans Bonus Tracks") ... but is there a better way to do this?

JJZolx
2006-09-30, 18:43
I have a number of CDs that include Bonus Tracks ... most notably, virtually all of my David Bowie CDs are loaded with bonus tracks. While I appreciate having all this extra music, somehow "Young Americans" does not sound quite right when it doesn't end with "Fame".

I would like to have these CDs play, by default, without the bonus tracks, then selectively play the bonus tracks when I feel like it. Are there any elegant ways to do this with SlimServer?

I suppose I could break these up by editing the tags to set the bonus tracks for a different album name from the main tracks (such as "Young Americans" and "Young Americans Bonus Tracks") ... but is there a better way to do this?
You can set up a playlist that only addresses the original tracks. But it won't show up when browsing artists or albums or in searches.

You could keep the 'bonus' version and duplicate the album in its original version in another folder. Retag the two to have different album names. Of course, at the expense of disk space. This is my preferred choice.

I agree with you - many of these bonus/deluxe/special editions of classic albums are less enjoyable than the original. I just put a deluxe edition of Frampton Comes Alive! on my server that not only has four fairly unimportant tracks added, but changes the track order of the original.

Jon
2006-09-30, 19:32
I just put a deluxe edition of Frampton Comes Alive! on my server that not only has four fairly unimportant tracks added, but changes the track order of the original.
Now THAT would really tick me off ... changing the track order? Amazing!

You could keep the 'bonus' version and duplicate the album in its original version in another folder. Retag the two to have different album names. Of course, at the expense of disk space. This is my preferred choice.
I just tried a test where I changed the tags to give the main tracks and the bonus tracks different album names ("Young Americans" versus "Young Americans [Bonus Tracks]" ) but did not move any files into separate folders. This worked well, I now get two different albums (one for the main tracks, one for the bonus tracks) and no wasted disk space since I don't duplicate files ... and it is a pretty easy change to make. I don't feel any great need to keep a single copy of the album with the bonus tracks included, as I doubt I'll ever want to listen to the bonus tracks at the same time as the original album (and even if I did, I could just cue up those songs to play after the main album).

One interesting bug that I encountered in doing this (and not the first time I've seen this) ... I had to do a "Clear library and rescan everything", when I tried "Look for new and changed music" SlimServer did not pick up the changes.

JJZolx
2006-09-30, 19:53
One interesting bug that I encountered in doing this (and not the first time I've seen this) ... I had to do a "Clear library and rescan everything", when I tried "Look for new and changed music" SlimServer did not pick up the changes.
In my experience SlimServer isn't terribly good (yet) at picking up tagging changes. It seems to find newly added albums without much problem, but tag changes that might create or delete albums and artists tend to be a problem. Something as simple as changing the spelling of an artist name can leave a pretty big mess.

Ben Sandee
2006-09-30, 21:16
On 9/30/06, Jon <Jon.2ez9kb1159670101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> One interesting bug that I encountered in doing this (and not the first
> time I've seen this) ... I had to do a "Clear library and rescan
> everything", when I tried "Look for new and changed music" SlimServer
> did not pick up the changes.

One thing that can cause this is taggers that don't update the file
modification timestamp. SlimServer uses the last modified time to determine
whether or not to rescan.

Ben

Marc Sherman
2006-10-02, 06:34
Jon wrote:
> I have a number of CDs that include Bonus Tracks ... most notably,
> virtually all of my David Bowie CDs are loaded with bonus tracks.
> While I appreciate having all this extra music, somehow "Young
> Americans" does not sound quite right when it doesn't end with "Fame".
>
> I suppose I could break these up by editing the tags to set the bonus
> tracks for a different album name from the main tracks (such as "Young
> Americans" and "Young Americans Bonus Tracks") ... but is there a
> better way to do this?

God damned Rykodisc. :) The Elvis Costello reissues are even worse --
some of those bonus tracks sound like they just turned on a tape deck
randomly while hanging out with friends and then they stuck it on the
end of the CD.

The weird thing is, I've always known that both Bowie and Elvis were
unhappy with the bonus tracks on the Ryko releases, and in both cases,
subsequent reissues on different labels didn't include the bonus tracks
on the same disk, but I never understood why until I got my squeezebox.
When I was listening to CDs, it never bugged me having to get up to
change the disk when the bonus tracks start, but when I'm listening to a
playlist with 4 different albums queued up in a row, it's much more
annoying.

- Marc

aubuti
2006-10-02, 07:51
On 9/30/06, Jon <Jon.2ez9kb1159670101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> One interesting bug that I encountered in doing this (and not the first
> time I've seen this) ... I had to do a "Clear library and rescan
> everything", when I tried "Look for new and changed music" SlimServer
> did not pick up the changes.

One thing that can cause this is taggers that don't update the file modification timestamp. SlimServer uses the last modified time to determine whether or not to rescan.

And a lot of taggers have an option on whether or not to update the timestamp (eg, mp3tag's Tools > Options > General settings panel). Fix that setting (if you have one) and you should be okay. Or change your tagging program.

Jon
2006-10-02, 09:48
And a lot of taggers have an option on whether or not to update the timestamp (eg, mp3tag's Tools > Options > General settings panel). Fix that setting (if you have one) and you should be okay. Or change your tagging program.
I use Tag&Rename ... it has an option on whether or not to update the timestamp ... but in my case, that option was already set to update the timestamp.

gregklanderman
2006-10-02, 11:39
>>>>> Marc Sherman <msherman (AT) projectile (DOT) ca> writes:

> God damned Rykodisc. :) The Elvis Costello reissues are even worse --

The version of the Kinks' Village Green Preservation Society I have
has two complete (with small variations) copies of the album.

greg