PDA

View Full Version : Is 6.5 perfect?

Mark Lanctot
2006-09-30, 13:45
I was away last week and missed all the 6.5 release hubbub.

So I just installed 6.5 today. I was a little nervous since this is a big architectural change for SlimServer. I uninstalled 6.3.0 and deleted any remaining files in the SlimServer directory, backed up and installed.

Well...after installing and reconfiguring my players, it's running perfectly for me. I know this is going to sound like fanboyism, but I can't say anything different - it's perfect on my system:

- the initial rescan took 2-3 minutes, the same as 6.3.0.

- firmware update to 64 went fine

- was there a change made to the Network Test plugin or a speed improvement? Both my SB2 and SB3 players are reporting 5000 kbps at 100% now. Previously the SB2 (closer to the AP) reported fine up to 4000 kbps, the SB3 (further away) reported fine up to 3000 kbps.

- the new "High" font solves the problem I had using the SB2 as an alarm clock, where I had to modify the date time screensaver plugin to eliminate displaying the date.

- alternating grey highlighting on playlist items to separate them, as well as the increased spacing

- server and player settings submenus in dropdown lists cleans up the UI considerably

- alarm fade-in

- having network test available as its own menu item (I believe this is new)

- Server & Network Health in Help can now kick off the network test remotely, plus you can choose a bitrate right away and monitor it.

- gallery view

I know there are people experiencing problems but I've got to say it works great for me - thanks to the developers!

I guess I only have two very minor quibbles:

- the new web page font in default looks modern but a little small and squished

- I don't know why Date and Time screensaver has a format setting other than default, I'll start a separate thread on this

autopilot
2006-09-30, 15:14
Yes, this is the best Slimserver release by far.

All my major annoyances have gone - Artwork displays perfectly, no duplicate entries, CUE sheet support is finally working great for me, I’ve had no crashes, plus a few other small bugs that really irritated me are banished.

The only thing I can find fault with is when sometimes the actual music playback and time remaining is out of sync and FF/RW is as flakey as ever. But these are minor points when compared to how great Slimserver is now.

I know there are still faults for some people, and I may find a few in time, but for me also this is great stuff. I am over the moon, I have waited so long since buying my SB3 to get here and I can at last just get on with enjoying the music without messing around with betas, which is what it's all about.

All I could wish for now is a better web interface, although I am quite happy with it really as I spend 95% of my time in front of my SB3 and Amp/speakers rather than my PC. And although it’s nice to use my PSP and PDA from time to time, I still find myself reaching for the standard IR remote because I find it quicker and easier when the beers are flowing and my friends are around. My guests do to.

Support for some DRM, like PlayForSure, would be a bonus too as the subscription based ‘rental’ model is becoming increasingly more attractive to me. Gaining a license for this kind of thing would be a killer move for Slim Devices.

I may sound like a fanboy but i really do love my SB3 (well, as much as you can love an electronic device), it's the best gadget is have ever bought and i could not live without it. My SB3 has really changed my music life more than i ever thought something like this could, it's brought me and my girlfriend much pleasure.

Anyway, thank you Slim Device’s and everyone involved. One very happy customer just became even happier. I'd even buy that grumpy old KDF a beer if i could, lol :P

Cheers Guys.

peterbell
2006-09-30, 16:02
My SB3 has really changed my music life more than i ever thought something like this could, it's brought me and my girlfriend much pleasure.
How sad is that? :p

autopilot
2006-09-30, 16:12
How sad is that? :p

My SB3 has really changed my Music life more than i ever thought something like this could, it's brought me and my girlfriend much pleasure.

And it has bought us as great deal of pleasure.

badbob
2006-09-30, 16:17
And it has bought us as great deal of sexual pleasure.

:-P Well I guess the included cloth comes in handy!

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-02, 08:07
Another neat feature I just discovered this morning: alarm fade-in!

Plus the alarm plays continuously. It had stopped doing this in 6.3 for me. Which is a good thing, it's a short sound and if it takes 20 seconds to fade in, it would stop playing before it was audible.

snarlydwarf
2006-10-02, 09:32
Well...after installing and reconfiguring my players, it's running perfectly for me. I know this is going to sound like fanboyism, but I can't say anything different - it's perfect on my system:

Well, um, I've been quiet on the forum lately mainly because I am, well, stuck.

I have the same, "wow, this is nice" feeling at the moment. I tracked the nightlies on 6.5 shortly after the MySql change (and had all the fun of that :P), but now, well, it just... works.

I really havent felt a need to hang out here as much as I used to, because 6.5 just works so well.

Mark Lanctot
2006-10-03, 11:55
Did my first rescan after the initial one - 3 minutes 32 seconds for 301 albums, 3026 songs, 461 artists.

Not bad at all.

The processor usage pattern is different with the split scanner. It used to take 30-40% processor with heavy disc access for the initial 75% of the scan, then 50-60% processor with light disc access for the remaining 25% of the scan. Now the final portion of the scan only takes about 20-30% processor.

diomark
2006-10-03, 12:40
The only major issue that I've seen is that the favorites don't seem to work (?) - also occasionally I'm getting duplicated artists/albums - but this is fixable by clearing the music library/rescanning everything...

Also I've seen softsqueeze die with bad tracks.. (although my sb3 just skips a bit but recovers)

-mark