PDA

View Full Version : Multi-home squeezebox? Can it use both wi-fi and ethernet at same time?

gutted
2006-09-30, 01:53
I want to connect to my music via ethernet cable, and want the slimserver to be able to connect to SB wirelessly.

I've actually got two LANs at home - my WLAN is on a different subnet to my LAN. While my music server is multihomed (so in theory slim could communicate with SB exclusively on the ethernet LAN), the wireless laptops can only connect to the WLAN.

Is it possible, therefore, to speak to slimserver from laptops wirelessly, but then have SB communicate with the music server on ethernet? I'm not sure, but I think this would require SB using both wi-fi and ethernet at same time.

I've not tried to get it up and running yet, so maybe it will all be fine with SB using only the ethernet. But just wanted to run it past you guys for advice.

Cheers,
Dan.

Andreas
2006-09-30, 02:26
hey dan!

gutted wrote:
> Is it possible, therefore, to speak to slimserver from laptops
> wirelessly, but then have SB communicate with the music server on
> ethernet? I'm not sure, but I think this would require SB using both
> wi-fi and ethernet at same time.

If you have Slimserver running on the multihomed machine it shouldn't be
any problems. If you are running Slimserver on another machine, you'll just
have to make sure the routing between the subnets is correct.

Easiest I guess is to have the Slimserver on the multihomed machine.
Via options you can even tell the Slimserver to have the web gui only on the wireless
interface and listen/talk to clients (SB's) only on the wired interface.

rgds
/andreas

mherger
2006-09-30, 06:29
> I've actually got two LANs at home - my WLAN is on a different subnet

So do I - for the same reason.

> Is it possible, therefore, to speak to slimserver from laptops
> wirelessly, but then have SB communicate with the music server on
> ethernet?

Yes. Make sure your server (which also works as router?) accepts
connections on port 9000 (for web access) on both interfaces. I've even
got some SBs on the LAN, some on the wireless, limiting access to
slimserver from the outside for the wireless SBs only (use fixed IP
addresses, blocking can be setup in slimserver).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

gutted
2006-10-01, 04:51
Fantastic - thanks lads!

Yes, slimserver is already running on one of the multi-homed servers. I've got a "mini LAN" which is basically just 2 fileservers (including my music server) and I occassionally plug a laptop in there to watch films from the other server. Routing is set up between them, so whenever the filservers communicate directly with each other, they only communicate via ethernet.

I've only got 1 router, for the WLAN. I guess I should set up one of the fileservers as a DHCP server, too, as currently when I plug my laptop into the ethernet I need to manually configure my IP, which is a bit of a pain.

But it's cool that I can speak to slimserver on the WLAN, and then SB can read music wirelessly. I'm hoping that I'm get rid of wireless dropouts I sometimes encounter.

That's really good news - and thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
Dan.