PDA

View Full Version : Zone control on Squeezebox or Transporter?

tdampier
2006-09-29, 21:09
Okay, well I have been looking at this for some time and was wondering if true zone control ala Sonos works on the Squeezebox or Transporter?

The zone flexiblity of the Sonos box is pretty impressive and would be the only reason to not get a Squeezbox. The controller while impressive is a closed platform and you can use a PDA with it with 3rd party web interface. And they have introduced some UPnP control as wel.

I really like the digital function of the Transporter as I will be using digital media players in a couple locations and I could connect them to the squeezbox using digital in port. No possible on current ZP systems :(

radish
2006-09-29, 22:48
Okay, well I have been looking at this for some time and was wondering if true zone control ala Sonos works on the Squeezebox or Transporter?

Can you explain what exactly you mean by "true zone control"?

tdampier
2006-09-30, 18:06
Well Sonos really has true zone control and adding/removing zones(aka devices) is quite simple and works well. I have actually seen it work at other people's homes and at dealers.

I have read through these forums and it seems there are delay/lag issues with the Slimdevices that do not occur with Sonos. Has this been fixed and is this supported out of the box. Or is this some code that is really un-supported?

No offense but I need something that will do zones very well and I searched all over and came up with Sonos. However, as people have noted their product is more expensive and if slimdevices could do something similar it might be worth looking at.

However, I am leary when there are lot of posts regarding lag and issues with synching up Zones when they are added.

Only thing else that does zones well with no issues is a fully centralized zoned house setup :) Of course that is not practical for me as my home is old and has plaster walls. Running cabling is quite cost prohibitive and nearly impossible.

One other question. Does the Transporter allow the use of both the coax and fiber input ports at the same time?

radish
2006-09-30, 21:44
I still don't know what you mean by "zones" as you don't define that. If you mean multiple devices, then yes, it's fully supported by slimdevices - I have 4 running right now from a single server, other people have more. They can either play independently or synced (I rarely sync mine but it seems to work fine when I do). Using a plugin I can also transfer the audio from one to the next as I walk from room to room without any breaks. If you have more specific questions or concerns based on things you've read, please let us know what they are.

If that's not what you mean, then please clarify :)

As for your second question about the Transporter - yes.

pfarrell
2006-10-01, 10:35
tdampier wrote:
> Well Sonos really has true zone control and adding/removing zones(aka
> devices) is quite simple and works well.

Perhaps Sonos uses the phrase "true zone control" and it may mean
something in their lingo. But I have no idea what it means.
You'll have to define it in terms folks can understand before we can
answer your question.

With my SqueezeBoxes and SlimServer, I can play the same music in many
rooms or different music in each.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

gorman
2006-10-02, 02:25
With my SqueezeBoxes and SlimServer, I can play the same music in many
rooms or different music in each.I have one SB2 on Ethernet and one SB1 on WiFi G and no, they don't stay in synch. As in "rarely they are in synch after a couple of songs".

radish
2006-10-02, 07:12
I have one SB2 on Ethernet and one SB1 on WiFi G and no, they don't stay in synch. As in "rarely they are in synch after a couple of songs".

Well then you seem to have a problem. Usual questions - what type of files, what server version, etc. Sync has some issues with softsqueeze sometimes, and streaming radio is always a problem, but playing regular files should be basically perfect.

aubuti
2006-10-02, 08:17
Maybe sync'ing should be perfect, but after doing a lot sync'ing I still find it to be hit-or-miss. I have a wired SB2 and a wireless SB3 running 11g only (signal strength usually around 80%). I've used 6.2.2 and 6.5 on a LinkStation HG. Sync'ing does work for me most of the time, and 6.5 seems better at this, but it's still quite common for there to be a stutter when starting a track, and then the track is out of sync. Sometimes it's subtle enough that it just sounds like overdone reverb, other times it's really annoying (the rooms are close enough you can often hear both players, otherwise syncing wouldn't matter). How annoying depends probably as much on the particular track as it does on the precise length of the delay. Usually they will click back into sync on the subsequent track. And forcing it to restart a track will also usually re-sync.

I've tried a few things, and still haven't gotten sync'ing to be rock solid. I figured the wireless SB3 was the weakest link, but I still lost sync when I connected it via ethernet (need to retest this with 6.5). Sometimes turning off wireless computers on the network helps, but again, that's no guarantee. Haven't yet tried swapping the router (Netgear WGR614v3) for something else. I'll try it again soon after I upgrade my Dell running Ubuntu to slimserver 6.5, in case it's a problem of the LinkStation's underpowered hardware.

From reading other posts I think it's not only radish who syncs without problems, and not just gorman and I who have less-than-perfect sync'ing. That's why the fine-grained "network clock for synchronization" is still on the software roadmap, albeit quite vaguely, right? http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SoftwareRoadmap

JJZolx
2006-10-02, 08:58
Maybe sync'ing should be perfect, but after doing a lot sync'ing I still find it to be hit-or-miss.
Same here. IMO, the syncing of players in SlimServer was something of an afterthought, whereas with the Sonos it appears to have been a high priority in the design from the start. Maybe that will change as Slim Devices moves forward, but their direction now seems to have little focus on whole house audio.

radish
2006-10-02, 09:30
Perfect was too strong a word to use, I acknowledge that :) It's just that I haven't noticed any problems the few times I've used it, and I've not seen many complaints about sync around here that haven't involved softsqueeze or radio streaming. I'm perfectly happy to believe there are sometimes issues - although I'd be fairly surprised if wired vs wireless made a difference.

Are there bug reports for these issues? (other than the fine-grained clock one, which is more of an enhancement request to allow non-pause syncing).

stinkingpig
2006-10-02, 09:52
On 10/2/06, radish <radish.2f274b1159806901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Perfect was too strong a word to use, I acknowledge that :) It's just
> that I haven't noticed any problems the few times I've used it, and
> I've not seen many complaints about sync around here that haven't
> involved softsqueeze or radio streaming. I'm perfectly happy to believe
> there are sometimes issues - although I'd be fairly surprised if wired
> vs wireless made a difference.
>
> Are there bug reports for these issues? (other than the fine-grained
> clock one, which is more of an enhancement request to allow non-pause
> syncing).
>
>
It is a common problem with radio streams and long-running tracks (read
classical music and auidobooks), used to be a common problem with pop music
too. There have been gradual improvements, largely by accident IMHO as
improvements in resource management have decreased the likelihood of lost
frames.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

gorman
2006-10-03, 12:45
Well then you seem to have a problem. Usual questions - what type of files, what server version, etc. Sync has some issues with softsqueeze sometimes, and streaming radio is always a problem, but playing regular files should be basically perfect.No Softsqueeze or radio streaming, just your regular FLAC and MP3s. One wired SB2, one SB1 connected through a WiFi bridge (g). Server version has moved, problems always remained.

And it doesn't seem to matter whether I transcode to the wireless one or not... it stays on synch for a while, and then it loses it...

stinkingpig
2006-10-03, 13:00
On 10/3/06, gorman <gorman.2f4atb1159905001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> radish;141985 Wrote:
> > Well then you seem to have a problem. Usual questions - what type of
> > files, what server version, etc. Sync has some issues with softsqueeze
> > sometimes, and streaming radio is always a problem, but playing regular
> > files should be basically perfect.No Softsqueeze or radio streaming,
> just your regular FLAC and MP3s. One
> wired SB2, one SB1 connected through a WiFi bridge (g). Server version
> has moved, problems always remained.
>
> And it doesn't seem to matter whether I transcode to the wireless one
> or not... it stays on synch for a while, and then it loses it...
>
>
Not saying it shouldn't be perfect in a perfect world, but there's a big
difference in buffer size between SB1 and SB2. It also can't help that the
SB1 is on the weaker connection... have you tried swapping the two players?
There are some issues with synchronization IMHO, but sometimes they're
minimized by leveling the playing field a bit.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

radish
2006-10-03, 13:53
And it doesn't seem to matter whether I transcode to the wireless one or not... it stays on synch for a while, and then it loses it...

Can you clarify what happens when it "loses it" - does either player stutter or stop? Or do they simply drift out of sync without actually breaking up the audio? And it should resync at track changes - does this occur? Do you hear a break at the track change while it tries to resync?

gorman
2006-10-04, 16:17
Can you clarify what happens when it "loses it" - does either player stutter or stop? Or do they simply drift out of sync without actually breaking up the audio? And it should resync at track changes - does this occur? Do you hear a break at the track change while it tries to resync?Simply drift out of sync. Sometimes it does resync at the end of a track, sometimes it doesn't.