PDA

View Full Version : Plugging in Qnap loses connection to internet



Tortoise
2006-09-29, 00:39
Hi,
Over the last week I've been dealing with my ADSL providers help desk, swapping wires and generally getting annoyed as my internet connection was no longer working.
I have now got it back, however it looks like the QNAP has been causing the problem.
All was working well until some time last week with Qnap, Slimserver, ADSL and my WinXP PC working reasonably happy together (Qnap connected by cable to a wireless router, everything else wireless), then my internet stopped working one evening.

Now I have discovered that with the Qnap plugged into my router my internet connection fails. This is both with the QNAP switched on & off (with its power lead connected), but if the power lead is not connected to the Qnap then my internet connection is fine.
It is only my internet connection that fails, and I can browse to the Qnap web interface and the routers web interface.

Connecting the Qnap directly to the Squeezebox works ok.

I don't know if this has any bearing, but last week I did update my qnap firmware to the version that has the UnP/Twonky server functionality.

(with the Qnap plugged in occasionally some internet data sometimes gets through - but its quite intermittent and in general unusable)

Has anyone got any suggestions/ideas as to what the problem might be?

joncooper
2006-09-29, 03:31
Sounds like you maybe are using a dodgy network cable? Try using a different cable between your QNAP and internet router and report back...

Tortoise
2006-09-29, 11:34
Thanks,
But swapping the cable didn't make any difference.

However I think I've managed to fix the problem....
My router uses DHCP to dynamically assign IP addresses, and some time last week the IP address of the Qnap changed. I didn't think too much about it and just let the squeezebox find the network again. However I think the PC must have changed to the IP address the Qnap used to be on - or something.
Anyhow I have now told the Qnap to always use the address 192.168.2.2 (which is what it was using when I first set it up) and amended my routers setting so it uses DHCP to assign in the range 192.168.2.<3 to 100> and all seems to be working again :-)

(guess it never occurred to me that even though the Qnap was switched off - it wasn't completely (yet another device that should be switched off at the wall/unplugged if I want it off!))