PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver shuts down by itself - why?

benslim
2006-09-28, 18:02
I was running 6.3.1 just fine, but kept getting the nag to upgrade. So I installed 6.5. It wouldn't start. So I uninstalled it, did a full reinstall, rescan - hours here - and now it shuts down all by itself.

I used to run it 24/7 on my server. Now it shuts down for no apparent reason.

Help?

mherger
2006-09-28, 20:43
> I was running 6.3.1 just fine, but kept getting the nag to upgrade. So I
> installed 6.5. It wouldn't start. So I uninstalled it, did a full
> reinstall, rescan - hours here - and now it shuts down all by itself.

What does the eventlog say about the crash? And please give some more
information about your system: operating system, upgrade or clean install,
additional plugins etc.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

benslim
2006-09-29, 18:50
WARNING MYSQL: Can't open and lock time zone table: Table 'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them

Can't find any other events that are obvious

XP Pro SP2, clean install, full scan.

Plugins - not using them:

Command Line Interface (CLI)
Date and Time Screensaver
Digital Inputs
Dynamic Playlists
iTunes
MoodLogic
MusicMagic
Network Test
Podcasts
Random Mix
Random Playlists
Real Rhapsody
Rescan Music Library
RS232
RSS News Ticker
Save Playlist
SlimTris
Snow Screensaver
SQL Playlist
Visualizer Screensaver
Windows: Prevent System Standby While Playing
XML-RPC/JSON-RPC Interface

Next, I will uninstall 6.5 and revert to 6.3.1 where it was stable.

benslim
2006-09-29, 18:53
Found some more events:

Error: The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't locate object method "peerport" via package "Slim::Player::Squeezebox" at /PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 754.

Info: C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\Bin\MSWIN3~1\mysqld.ex e: Normal shutdown

Info: C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\Bin\MSWIN3~1\mysqld.ex e: Shutdown complete

Copsey
2006-09-30, 01:22
I have the same problem - slimserver shuts down every night and i have to start it again.
I had assumed it was something to do with the automatic scan every night - haven't investigated it further.

ceejay
2006-09-30, 01:36
Copsey: I had this problem but in my case it seemed to be attributable to an interaction between the scheduled scan and the LazySearch plugin. I upgraded the plugin to the latest beta and haven't had the problem since.

benslim: just to be clear about "clean" install, you did remove/rename the whole old slimserver directory? There have been some problems with bits of old configurations being left behind...

HTH
Ceejay

benslim
2006-09-30, 09:26
I didn't delete the install directory, but I did uninstall it before reinstalling it.

I have since reverted to 6.3.1 after uninstalling and deleting the directory. It runs fine now with the old version.

andyg
2006-09-30, 10:37
Found some more events:

Error: The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't locate object method "peerport" via package "Slim::Player::Squeezebox" at /PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 754.

I'm not quite sure why this happened but I've checked in a fix for this particular crash. It will be in the next 6.5.1 nightly build.

CosyCat
2006-10-12, 02:14
This is what my Event log tell me(se pic)
I have no other plugins than a clean installed SS 6.5.

ModelCitizen
2006-10-12, 03:23
In don't suppose by any chance this could be due to the 6.5 MySQL/virus scanner problem? Try excluding .myi files from you anti-virus scan and see if that helps.
MC

ezkcdude
2006-10-12, 05:28
I'm having a similar problem. 6.5 was giving me nothing but headaches, so I decided to go back to 6.3.1. It started fine the first time, but it doesn't want to start back up now.

oreillymj
2006-10-12, 05:57
CoseyCat,

If you're going to run applications on a computer called SATAN, you're just asking for trouble ;-)

Seriously though, are there any entries in the Application event log at the time the service shutdown. I've never seen Slim crash and not leave any info in the event log.

CosyCat
2006-10-12, 08:33
Got this On application (20 min before ss shutdown)

information not warning
--------------------
C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\Bin\MSWIN3~1\mysqld.ex e: ready for connections.
Version: '5.0.22-community-nt' socket: '' port: 9092 MySQL Community Edition (GPL)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://www.mysql.com.
---------------------------------------

Q : whatīs mysqld.exe running in windows task manager (12000K)

CosyCat
2006-10-12, 08:35
In don't suppose by any chance this could be due to the 6.5 MySQL/virus scanner problem? Try excluding .myi files from you anti-virus scan and see if that helps.
MC

.myi ? where can I find this and Anti-virus scan I donīt have.

edit:
I find this under slimserver "server\Mysql\slimserver\cache dbix_migration.MYI"

Doody
2006-10-14, 17:29
fwiw, i too am having problems.

i just upgraded to 6.5.0. i used to be running 6.3 (i believe). i did not uninstall the prior version nor wipe the prior setup. 6.5.0 installed over the 6.3 version.

6.3 was crazy-stable for me. worked like a charm.

xp pro machine.

the good news is that i can reproduce the failure religiously. perhaps someone can tell me what to turn on in the debugger settings page to generate helpful data?

i have a roku soundbridge 1000. once i upgraded to 6.5.0, it stopped working. when it attempts to contact my slimserver, the slimserver shuts down. no slimserver events show in the windows event log. the tool tray app shows slimserver is running before i boot the soundbridge, and it shows as not running after it tries to connect.

the soundbridge makes some sort of attempt to update software or firmware right as the failure occurs. i assume it's trying to download something from slimserver. the soundbridge firmware is confirmed current with roku via the built-in update menu, so i assume it's trying to d/l something from slimserver.

i had no such problems with my squeezebox, by comparison.

i'm downloading now the latest overnight 6.5 build to see if that helps.

doody.

UPDATE: no dice. i installed the latest 6.5.1 and got no love at all. the tool tray app would tell me that slimserver was started, but when i tried to open it, it barfed a lung - 404. so i tried to install 6.5.0 to back down. slimserver won't start up at all. it says "Starting SlimServer" for a minute or so, and the display on the tool tray device blinks during that time and eventually it just stays black. major bummer. now nothing works :-( . time to find a tutorial here on how to back down to a stable rev.

NO plugins of ANY sort other than whatever ships with the installation. NO alternative themes - just "Default".

andyg
2006-10-14, 17:37
While the Roku is not supported of course, we certainly don't want to crash when we receive bad data. Please run slim.exe from a command prompt, where you should see the crash message after it crashes.

Doody
2006-10-14, 18:14
i was able to finally get the latest 6.5.1 build working. let's just say it was painful and time-consuming, but it's working now.

the soundbridge works once again as well and it does not cause slimserver to shut down.

so whatever the issue was, it apparently was fixed between 6.5.0 release and 6.5.1 2006-10-14.

thanks for the quick reply, andy.

fingers crossed that it stays up!

doody.

CosyCat
2006-10-15, 22:11
This is what i got when starting up slim.exe from CMD.

running for 15 min then shutdown.

---------------------------------------------------------------
2006-10-16 00:10:52.1223 UPnP: Read search result failed: recv failed: Unknown error at /PearlApp/Slim/Networking/UPnP/ControlPoint.pm line 106

2006-10-16 00:10:56 0156 Terminating on signal SIGALARM(14)

andyg
2006-10-16, 04:02
Interesting that it works for 15 minutes then stops working. I think instead of crashing here I'll just disable UPnP if that call fails.

andyg
2006-10-16, 04:05
Wait, it already should not crash there, it must be from something else...

Can you try this?

slim.exe --d_upnp

If it still crashes, try:

slim.exe --noupnp

CosyCat
2006-10-22, 14:26

Can you try this?

slim.exe --d_upnp

slim.exe --noupnp

how can I ad this startup action to slimserver service?

ezkcdude
2006-10-22, 14:59
I realized the other day that the reason SS was crashing for me was the Fishbone interface! I had been using the default interface for several weeks, since I had switched back to 6.3. The other day, I figured I try going back to Fishbone, and lo and behold, SS shut down, right in the middle of a song. Once I realized the problem, I was not sure what to do, because I couldn't get back in to the SlimServer web app. Then, I figured out I could change the interface setting in the configuration file, and voila, SS was back up. There's something fishy with Fishbone (sorry, I should've thrown back that pun).

kdf
2006-10-22, 15:09
clearly the "crashes" mentioned here are different. Please report the
message in the event viewer resulting from slimserver stopping?

if you upgraded from 6.3, it will be in your best interest to delete
the entire HTML folder and re-install. this makes sure any old
templates are gone.
-k

CosyCat
2006-11-18, 00:06
Ok now iīm 98% sure what my problem is.

Always when I start slim.exe from cmd with "slim.exe --noupnp" prefix slimserver runs fine, with no shutdown :)

The question now is how can I fix this problem I have?
Must I always start my slimserver eith slim.exe --noupnp from cmd?

Can I write this slim.exe --noupnp in a .bat file? if so how?

(See more of my problem with this earlier in this thread)

MrSinatra
2006-11-18, 03:32
i am lost as to the whole cmd line switches and all that, ie. the upnp stuff...

BUT if ur using windows and you want the switch included when u start SS, find the icon/shortcut u use for SS and right click it. then pick properties. you should see in there a line showing the dir and location of the slim exe file. just add your switches there and save.

i think thats the answer you want re the batch file, but i could be way off. if i am, i assume someone will say so.

ceejay
2006-11-18, 03:56
Ok now iīm 98% sure what my problem is.

Always when I start slim.exe from cmd with "slim.exe --noupnp" prefix slimserver runs fine, with no shutdown :)

The question now is how can I fix this problem I have?
Must I always start my slimserver eith slim.exe --noupnp from cmd?

Can I write this slim.exe --noupnp in a .bat file? if so how?

(See more of my problem with this earlier in this thread)

I haven't tried this but... if you go to Control Panel - Admin - Services you should see a list of the services on your computer, one of which is slimserver. Select it and click "properties" - at the bottom of the dialog there is a box to add command line parameters. Try putting --noupnp in there, with automatic start for the service, reboot the computer and see what happens...

HTH
Ceejay

CosyCat
2006-11-18, 07:07
i am lost as to the whole cmd line switches and all that, ie. the upnp stuff...

BUT if ur using windows and you want the switch included when u start SS, find the icon/shortcut u use for SS and right click it. then pick properties. you should see in there a line showing the dir and location of the slim exe file. just add your switches there and save.

i think thats the answer you want re the batch file, but i could be way off. if i am, i assume someone will say so.

THx but when the cmd window popups I close it slim.exe stops. I Donīt want a cmd window running all the time ss is running.

CosyCat
2006-11-18, 07:12
I haven't tried this but... if you go to Control Panel - Admin - Services you should see a list of the services on your computer, one of which is slimserver. Select it and click "properties" - at the bottom of the dialog there is a box to add command line parameters. Try putting --noupnp in there, with automatic start for the service, reboot the computer and see what happens...

HTH
Ceejay

I find the field under ss services but when I write --noupnp under "Start Parameters" and hit OK(canīt hit Apply button??)

When I open it again my Start Parameter is gone???

hactar
2006-11-19, 09:19
My SlimServer (6.3 - 6.5.1) would shut itself down within 30 mins, with no notice, except for this event.
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Assert_Defined failed: Cache::BaseCache line 194

When I ran it from the command prompt, with no debugging, I got this very obscure Perl error:
Assert_Defined failed: Cache::BaseCache line 194

When I turned on almost all debugging options (except d_select), I noticed that just before it crashed, it did something related to RSS and XML. Sorry, I forgot the precise error, and I don't want to recreate it.

When I turned off both Podcasts and RSS feeds, the problem went away <crossing fingers>.

Note also that when I turned on nearly all the debugging features, my computer actually shut itself down (instantly, not a normal shutdown). This occurred several times while running slim from command-lin with all debug parameters on.

sellars
2006-12-07, 16:54
SS 6.5.1 10879 fresh install, Win XP SP2, 1gb Ram, P4 2.6 HT.
AlbumReview, Videobox plugins enabled.
Launching slim.exe with --d_server --d_plugins.

I will try disabling Upnp and report my results soon.

This is what i got when starting up slim.exe from CMD.

running for 15 min then shutdown.

2006-10-16 00:10:52.1223 UPnP: Read search result failed: recv failed: Unknown error at /PearlApp/Slim/Networking/UPnP/ControlPoint.pm line 106

2006-10-16 00:10:56 0156 Terminating on signal SIGALARM(14)

tfieldho
2006-12-18, 14:28
I'm having a couple issues. One appears to be related to the moodlogic support that's enabled in 6.5 and I'll fix that as soon as the general crashing is resolved. I'm suspecting the moodlogic issue is due to a demo (timed out) version of moodlogic being installed when the initial setup was run.

On to the crashing. I initially thought it was related to running the fishbone skin since I wasn't running that until recently but I have since disabled fishbone and still have the crashing issue. If anything it has gotten worse recently and I can't stream from the server to my dmp at all right now.

I'll provide what troubleshooting info I can but I'm going to have to revert to 6.3 soon so I can listen to some tunes.

My event log entries are very similar to what's been posted here and don't seem to be providing the information required to troubleshoot. So here's the command line output from the service using the debug switches. I'm not an expert on upnp so I won't even guess what the issue is. hopefully someone smarter than I can determine the next steps to isolating the issue.

My system: windows xp pro sp2, gigabit connection to a netgear switch, primary router (and dhcp server) dlink DI-624 w/upnp enabled. I also have a Dell Z555 Digital Entertainment Center, a Roku Soundbridge M500 and GoVideo d2730 that all participate in upnp in case that matters.

Can you try this?
slim.exe --d_upnp
C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server>slim.exe --d_upnp
2006-12-18 13:04:06.7042 UPnP: New device callback registered: Plugins::Rhapsody
::Plugin::findCallback
MoodLogic Error Event triggered: 'MixerError',11000
Try Rebuilding the external databases
2006-12-18 13:04:17.0477 UPnP: Notify from new device [uuid:upnp-InternetGateway
Device-1_0-12345678900001::upnp:rootdevice at http://192.168.0.1:5678/igd.xml]
2006-12-18 13:04:17.6839 UPnP: New device found: D-Link Router [http://192.168.0
.1:5678/igd.xml]
2006-12-18 13:04:17.6997 UPnP: D-Link Router is a D-Link D-Link Router (urn:sche
mas-upnp-org:device:InternetGatewayDevice:1), ignoring
2006-12-18 13:06:09.1406 Can't locate object method "peerport" via package "Slim
::Player::Squeezebox" at /PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 754.

slim.exe --noupnp
C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server>slim.exe --noupnp
MoodLogic Error Event triggered: 'MixerError',11000
Try Rebuilding the external databases
2006-12-18 13:09:56.1562 Can't locate object method "peerport" via package "Slim
::Player::Squeezebox" at /PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 754.Let me know if there's anything else I can try. I've downloaded the latest 6.5.1 build and will give it a shot. I'll also try dumping my install completely and rebuilding the database from scratch with a smaller set of files.

Can I have multiple versions of slimserver installed in different directories and just call the one I want to test? I guess I'll find out.

andyg
2006-12-18, 14:31
That peerport crash has been fixed for a while in 6.5.1.

imo
2006-12-18, 14:41
Great news - I get exactly the same problem. Really glad it's fixed in 6.5.1.

imo
2006-12-19, 12:54
I will do the same.

Right now, I have a fresh install of 6.5.0 that I've replaced with today's build of 6.5.1 and I get the following error:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT contributor.id, contributor.name, contributor.namesort, contributor.moodlogic_id, contributor.moodlogic_mixable, contributor.musicmagic_mixable, contributor.namesearch, contributor.musicbrainz_id FROM contributor_track me JOIN contributors contributor ON ( contributor.id = me.contributor ) WHERE ( ( ( role IN ( ? ) ) AND ( me.track = ? ) ) ) GROUP BY contributor.id ORDER BY role desc': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_cd8_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13) at C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.

imo
2006-12-19, 12:56
That didn't last too long.

slim.exe --noupnp gave me the following output within 20 seconds..... It looks very mysqlish.

2006-12-19 19:55:38.4107 ERROR: Error executing 'SELECT contributor.id, contribu
tor.name, contributor.namesort, contributor.moodlogic_id, contributor.moodlogic_
mixable, contributor.musicmagic_mixable, contributor.namesearch, contributor.mus
icbrainz_id FROM contributor_track me JOIN contributors contributor ON ( contri
butor.id = me.contributor ) WHERE ( ( ( role IN ( ? ) ) AND ( me.track = ? ) ) )
GROUP BY contributor.id ORDER BY role desc': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can
't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_2e4_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13) at C:\Pro
gram Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.

2006-12-19 19:55:38.4202 ERROR: Backtrace follows:

2006-12-19 19:55:38.4205 Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\
server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 773)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_execute (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\ser
ver\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 826)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_select (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\serv
er\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 852)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::select_single (C:\Program Files\SlimServe
r\server/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 94)
frame 4: Slim::Schema::Storage::select_single (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\se
rver\CPAN/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 509)
frame 5: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::single (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/S
lim/Schema/Track.pm line 95)
frame 6: Slim::Schema::Track::artist (C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server/Slim
/Schema/Track.pm line 390)
frame 7: Slim::Schema::Track::displayAsHTML (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/Pages/Playlist
.pm line 167)
frame 8: Slim::Web::Pages::Playlist::playlist (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line
824)
frame 9: Slim::Web::HTTP::generateHTTPResponse (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm lin
e 690)
frame 10: Slim::Web::HTTP::processURL (/PerlApp/Slim/Web/HTTP.pm line 536)
frame 11: Slim::Web::HTTP::processHTTP (/PerlApp/Slim/Networking/Select.pm li
ne 238)
frame 12: Slim::Networking::Select::select (slimserver.pl line 492)
frame 13: main::idle (slimserver.pl line 445)
frame 14: main::main (slimserver.pl line 58)
frame 15: PerlSvc::Interactive (perlsvc.pl line 1486)
frame 16: PerlSvc::_interactive (slimserver.pl line 0)
frame 17: (eval) (slimserver.pl line 0)

2006-12-19 19:55:38.4229 Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT contrib
utor.id, contributor.name, contributor.namesort, contributor.moodlogic_id, contr
ibutor.moodlogic_mixable, contributor.musicmagic_mixable, contributor.namesearch
, contributor.musicbrainz_id FROM contributor_track me JOIN contributors contri
butor ON ( contributor.id = me.contributor ) WHERE ( ( ( role IN ( ? ) ) AND ( m
e.track = ? ) ) ) GROUP BY contributor.id ORDER BY role desc': DBD::mysql::st ex
ecute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_2e4_0.MYI' (Errco
de: 13) at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm lin
e 771.

kdf
2006-12-19, 12:58
Quoting imo <imo.2j2wdn1166558101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_cd8_0.MYI'
> (Errcode: 13) at
> C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.

Set your virus scanner to skip *.MYI and *.MYD files.
-kdf

bergek
2006-12-19, 13:32
I have the same problem - slimserver shuts down every night and i have to start it again.
I had assumed it was something to do with the automatic scan every night - haven't investigated it further.

If the only problem is that the server shuts down and has to be restarted I assume a workaround could be to set it to automatically restart. Just run Start -> Run... -> "services.msc" and change the settings for the Slimserver service.

imo
2006-12-20, 14:55
Quoting imo <imo.2j2wdn1166558101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

Set your virus scanner to skip *.MYI and *.MYD files.
-kdf

I completely disabled zone alarm, but still get the event:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT contributor.id, contributor.name, contributor.namesort, contributor.moodlogic_id, contributor.moodlogic_mixable, contributor.musicmagic_mixable, contributor.namesearch, contributor.musicbrainz_id FROM contributor_track me JOIN contributors contributor ON ( contributor.id = me.contributor ) WHERE ( ( ( role IN ( ? ) ) AND ( me.track = ? ) ) ) GROUP BY contributor.id ORDER BY role desc': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_4b4_0.MYI' (Errcode: 13) at C:\PROGRA~1\SLIMSE~1\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.

imo
2006-12-22, 02:15
Any reason why I can't downgrade to an older pre-6.5 version? Will my squeezebox he happy on the upgraded firmware and/or will I be able to downgrade it properly?

mherger
2006-12-22, 02:34
> Any reason why I can't downgrade to an older pre-6.5 version? Will my
> squeezebox he happy on the upgraded firmware and/or will I be able to
> downgrade it properly?

Instructions won't help you achieve this if you don't follow them. Did
you, as kdf said, properly configure your antivirus scanner? You mention
the firewall (zone alarm), but not your AV product.

--

Michael

imo
2006-12-22, 03:28
Zone alarm is my Firewall, anti-spam and anti-virus solution.
So, by shutting it down, I did follow the instructions :-)

mherger
2006-12-22, 07:21
> Zone alarm is my Firewall, anti-spam and anti-virus solution.
> So, by shutting it down, I did follow the instructions :-)

Oops, sorry, I didn't know Zonelabs are selling antivirues as well... But
you still seem to have something blocking from write access to the
temporary folder (or at least those *.MY* files mentioned in the log). You
could use FileMon
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/filemon.mspx) to
see what program this.

--

Michael

imo
2006-12-22, 07:27
Yeah, good point. I guess I can't argue with the error message. I'll give that a go.

imo
2006-12-27, 05:06
Most perplexing!

Slimserver was running for hours on Christmas day. All the visitors were dead impressed both with my SB3 and my choice of music :-)

Then it stopped. Server had shut down again. Same error in event log - mysql couldn't write to a file in c:\windows\temp. Disk wasnt full, directory wasn't particularly big. I restarted both servers and it went down in about 20 seconds. This happened a few times. I stopped my only AV software and it made no difference. Note that for the hours it was working, AV was running as normal.

Rebooted and it was still happening.

Rebooted again and it started working for hours again.

The only difference between the first and the second reboot was that I left it a while between logging in and starting the slimserver.

I didnt get a chance to try the suggested filemon, but will try to do so next time.

strapats
2006-12-27, 05:56
i've been having the same problem here; slimserver just kept shutting down by itself and could only be restarted again manually. in the eventviewer i had the exact same error description.

i'm running mcafee on my pc, and with mcafee unfortunately it's not possible to exclude *.myi and *.myd files from the virusscan. there is however another way to do this.

virusscan options / active shield -> advanced -> select program files and documents only instead of all files.

after i did this, my problems were history; been playing a folder with nearly 600 songs randomly for about 6 hours this christmas, and it never shut down by itself.

still a pity i had to lower my security because of this though.

stinkingpig
2006-12-27, 08:29
On 12/27/06, strapats
<strapats.2jh6hz1167224401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> i've been having the same problem here; slimserver just kept shutting
> down by itself and could only be restarted again manually. in the
> eventviewer i had the exact same error description.
>
> i'm running mcafee on my pc, and with mcafee unfortunately it's not
> possible to exclude *.myi and *.myd files from the virusscan. there is
> however another way to do this.
>
> virusscan options / active shield -> advanced -> select program files
> and documents only instead of all files.
>
> after i did this, my problems were history; been playing a folder with
> nearly 600 songs randomly for about 6 hours this christmas, and it
> never shut down by itself.
>
> still a pity i had to lower my security because of this though.
>
>

A pity that NAI only sells the capability to granularly select
programs and files for exclusion to enterprise customers?
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

RonJeffries
2006-12-27, 12:33
My 6.5.1 continues to crash every 15 minutes or so. In Windows Event Viewer, about the time of the crash, I have this message:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Can't call method "id" on an undefined value at /PerlApp/Slim/Player/ReplayGain.pm line 128.

Advice, please ...

strapats
2006-12-28, 04:52
A pity that NAI only sells the capability to granularly select
programs and files for exclusion to enterprise customers?
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

assuming that by NAI you mean mcafee, yes, that is a pity also. what i meant though, was that it's a pity that the new version of slimserver now forces me to lower my security. before 6.5 this wasn't necessary.

don't get me wrong, i still think the squeezebox and slimserver are the greatest pieces of soft- and hardware i ever owned; the only problems i ever experienced were due to my own stupidity. this is just simply the first time that it wasn't.

RonJeffries
2006-12-28, 05:16
assuming that by NAI you mean mcafee, yes, that is a pity also. what i meant though, was that it's a pity that the new version of slimserver now forces me to lower my security. before 6.5 this wasn't necessary.

don't get me wrong, i still think the squeezebox and slimserver are the greatest pieces of soft- and hardware i ever owned; the only problems i ever experienced were due to my own stupidity. this is just simply the first time that it wasn't.

I have excluded those files from my virus scan, and the system is still crashing. I'm getting the Event mentioned two messages up from here, on every crash.

RonJeffries
2006-12-28, 18:05
Resolved by reinstalling 6.5.1, see other thread. Thanks all.

ArtS
2006-12-29, 10:13
Upgrading to 6.5.1 didn't help me.

I have two Roku units.
One works just fine but the second caused the WinXP based SlimServer to stop every time I tried to connect it to the server.

Checking the player's basic settings in the SlimServer UI, I saw that the successful Roku was running firmware version 40.

When I let the second, troublesome Roku upgrade itself a while ago, I believe it had upgraded to version 42 or 43. I'm not sure I ever really used that unit with a SlimServer, as it normally playes Internet Radio as a stand-alone during pool season but is spending the Winter indoors to [hopefully] bring music to the Den.

I didn't see any simple way to downgrade the firmware version, so I reset the Roku to factory defaults.
Then I attempted to connect to my SlimServer.
It said that I needed to upgrade the Roku, but offered me the option of choosing a specific version of firmware, rather than the latest.
I selected version 40 - just like the other Roku that has always worked.

The end result is that I have two Roku units that work fine - neither cause the Slimserver to stop running any longer.

'hope this helps another Roku user.

ArtS

phinbob
2007-01-20, 09:29
Similar to previous posts, my SlimServer stops for no apparent reason. The event log is the same as what others have shown. The Slimserver version is:
VERSION INFO
SlimServer Version: 6.5.0 - 9916 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.15.100
Perl Version: 5.8.7 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

I am reluctant to upgrade since those that have upgraded seem to still have the problem. This is a recent occurance on my system. Slimserver has been flawless until now.
I have set my McAfee virus scanner to look at only program and document files.

Has anyone been successful with a solution to this?

chiefersone
2007-01-22, 06:11
I have brand new one with updated version and all. Suggestions

snarlydwarf
2007-01-22, 09:05
Similar to previous posts, my SlimServer stops for no apparent reason. The event log is the same as what others have shown.

Others have shown varying logs... what does yours show?

HankD
2007-02-18, 13:24
Suddenly my SS just stops when I try to start it,
after years of running almost 24/7. downloaded the latest
nightly but no change. Been down since yesterday.
I have no clue what to do.
I don't even know how to get some sort of log to
explain the crash - please can someone help me out.
I am on a Win XP.
---Hank

dyohn
2007-02-18, 16:40
6.5.1 kept crashing on my Win2K (ok, I know) server. I downloaded latest 6.5.2 today (2/17/07) and crash no more. Been listening all day. Cool.