PDA

View Full Version : RSS



Tom Wynne
2003-12-07, 13:36
Just wondering - is there an option to get new articles via an RSS feed from
this forum?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

dean
2003-12-08, 16:24
There is now:

http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/rss.xml

The rest are listed here:

http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_resources.html

Thanks!


On Dec 7, 2003, at 12:36 PM, Tom Wynne wrote:

> Just wondering is there an option to get new articles via an RSS
> feed from this forum?
>
>
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>
>
> Tom
>

Kevin Deane-Freeman
2003-12-08, 18:46
Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:

> There is now:
>
> http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/rss.xml
>
> The rest are listed here:
>
> http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_resources.html
>
> Thanks!
>
Bonus points for the person who makes a plugin to browse the RSS feeds via the
player :)


And for extra added fun, searchable too ;)

-kdf

Roy M. Silvernail
2003-12-08, 20:11
On Monday 08 December 2003 20:46, Kevin Deane-Freeman wrote:
> Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:
> > There is now:
> >
> > http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/rss.xml
> >
> > The rest are listed here:
> >
> > http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_resources.html
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Bonus points for the person who makes a plugin to browse the RSS feeds via
> the player :)

Save 'em for me! I'm about halfway through a RSS browser. (ripping code from
my existing aggregator)

> And for extra added fun, searchable too ;)

RSS is pretty much defined as a headline service, with a convention of 10-15
items in a given feed, so I don't know what searchability will do for you.

Kevin Deane-Freeman
2003-12-08, 20:27
Quoting "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com>:

> On Monday 08 December 2003 20:46, Kevin Deane-Freeman wrote:
> > Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:
> > > There is now:
> > >
> > > http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/rss.xml
> > >
> > > The rest are listed here:
> > >
> > > http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_resources.html
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > Bonus points for the person who makes a plugin to browse the RSS feeds via
> > the player :)
>
> Save 'em for me! I'm about halfway through a RSS browser. (ripping code
> from
> my existing aggregator)

Excellent!
>
> > And for extra added fun, searchable too ;)
>
> RSS is pretty much defined as a headline service, with a convention of 10-15
>
> items in a given feed, so I don't know what searchability will do for you.

hence the added fun ;)


-kdf

ron 'coyote' lussier
2003-12-08, 23:00
Hello,

When I scroll through the songs on an album, they appear in
alphabetical order, rather than track order. (This happens when I
browse by genre, then select 'all albums' and pick an album.) How can
I have the songs appear in track order?

coyote
--- , /),
(( -.((_)) _,) Joyous Solstice!
,\`.' `-','
`.> (,-
,', `._,)
ron lussier / lenscraft (( ) (`--' fine art
photography
67 crescent avenue `'( ) _ _,-.\
sausalito / ca 94965 /,' \( ) `'
http://lenscraft.com/
(( `\
`

dean
2003-12-09, 08:42
That's a bug. Browse by Albums to see things in the right order.

-dean

On Dec 8, 2003, at 10:00 PM, ron 'coyote' lussier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When I scroll through the songs on an album, they appear in
> alphabetical order, rather than track order. (This happens when I
> browse by genre, then select 'all albums' and pick an album.) How can
> I have the songs appear in track order?
>
> coyote
> --- , /),
> (( -.((_)) _,) Joyous Solstice!
> ,\`.' `-','
> `.> (,-
> ,', `._,)
> ron lussier / lenscraft (( ) (`--' fine art
> photography
> 67 crescent avenue `'( ) _ _,-.\
> sausalito / ca 94965 /,' \( ) `'
> http://lenscraft.com/
> (( `\
> `
>
>

Roy M. Silvernail
2003-12-15, 05:04
On Monday 08 December 2003 18:24, dean blackketter wrote:
> There is now:
>
> http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/rss.xml

Dean, what toolkit are you using to generate your RSS feeds? Any chance you
could make the channel titles a little more descriptive? (Like "SlimServer
Discuss" instead of just "Discuss") I've got a couple of other suggestions
to make the feeds more useful to RSS aggregators. Should they go to
developers, or be taken off-list?

dean blackketter
2003-12-15, 13:34
I'm using a patch to Mailman that I pulled from here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=657951&group_id=103&atid=300103

I'll change the title to be more descriptive. Let me know what other
ideas you have.

-dean

On Dec 15, 2003, at 4:04 AM, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

> On Monday 08 December 2003 18:24, dean blackketter wrote:
>> There is now:
>>
>> http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/discuss/rss.xml
>
> Dean, what toolkit are you using to generate your RSS feeds? Any
> chance you
> could make the channel titles a little more descriptive? (Like
> "SlimServer
> Discuss" instead of just "Discuss") I've got a couple of other
> suggestions
> to make the feeds more useful to RSS aggregators. Should they go to
> developers, or be taken off-list?
>

Roy M. Silvernail
2003-12-15, 20:48
On Monday 15 December 2003 15:34, dean blackketter wrote:
> I'm using a patch to Mailman that I pulled from here:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=657951&group_id=103&atid=300103
>
> I'll change the title to be more descriptive. Let me know what other
> ideas you have.

The content is a bit thin. RSS usually has, at minimum, a description for
each item in addition to the title. The description is typically the first
30-50 words of the referenced item. RSS 1.0 (which is the version this
Mailman patch produces) has a lot more capability than is being used. I'd
like to get a good description field in there, and the full item in a
<content:encoded> field. The idea is that an RSS reader be able to present a
good summary of an item using just the information in the RSS feed.
Producing a usable description for a mailing list will be a challenge,
though. Can't just grab the head of the item, as it's likely to be all
quoted text.

I'm more Perlish than Pythonic, so I'll need to set up a Mailman locally and
hack a bit. But I should be able to rework that patch to fatten up the feed
to where it's more useful to general aggregators (including my
under-construction slim plugin :). Give me a few days.

Martin Little
2004-01-17, 21:12
Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

> On Monday 15 December 2003 15:34, dean blackketter wrote:
>
>>I'm using a patch to Mailman that I pulled from here:
>>
>>https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
>>func=detail&aid=657951&group_id=103&atid=300103
>>
>>I'll change the title to be more descriptive. Let me know what other
>>ideas you have.
>
>
> The content is a bit thin. RSS usually has, at minimum, a description for
> each item in addition to the title. The description is typically the first
> 30-50 words of the referenced item. RSS 1.0 (which is the version this
> Mailman patch produces) has a lot more capability than is being used. I'd
> like to get a good description field in there, and the full item in a
> <content:encoded> field. The idea is that an RSS reader be able to present a
> good summary of an item using just the information in the RSS feed.
> Producing a usable description for a mailing list will be a challenge,
> though. Can't just grab the head of the item, as it's likely to be all
> quoted text.
>
> I'm more Perlish than Pythonic, so I'll need to set up a Mailman locally and
> hack a bit. But I should be able to rework that patch to fatten up the feed
> to where it's more useful to general aggregators (including my
> under-construction slim plugin :). Give me a few days.

Roy or Dean

Any joy in fattening up the RSS feeds? They are great to have, but would really add value, as well
as potentially reducing the Slimdevices bandwidth bill, if they actually had some more information
in them. Full posts would be ideal...

I've just got back up to speed with the latest developments on the software front, and I really have
to say that I am finding version 5 to be *significantly* less resource hungry and better to use
overall. Good work!

Martin

--

martinlittle.com | mobitopia.com

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-01-17, 21:36
On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 23:12, Martin Little wrote:

> Roy or Dean
>
> Any joy in fattening up the RSS feeds? They are great to have, but would really add value, as well
> as potentially reducing the Slimdevices bandwidth bill, if they actually had some more information
> in them. Full posts would be ideal...

I dug through the RSS patch for Mailman/HyperArchive and fattening the
feeds will require a bit more Python than I currently have mastered.
The RSS is generated from the HTMLized archive files, so it needs some
filtration and re-encoding to fit the RSS standard. (any Python-heads
want to collaberate? I know where, just not how)
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
http://www.rant-central.com