PDA

View Full Version : [Announce] MusicInfoSCR 2.99



mherger
2006-09-27, 15:20
I'm happy to announce MusicInfoSCR 2.99 with great new features - thanks
to Triode.

MusicInfoSCR is a flexible screensaver which lets you display a lot of
different information about the currently playing music. New with 2.99
there's an alternative volume display (SB2/3 & Tx only) and a configurable
"Now Playing" playlist mode. Transporter users can customize what is
displayed on the second display while you browse the player's menus as
well.

Other changes include:
- new tags PLAYTIME_PROGRESS, SONGTIME, DATE et al.
- moved settings out of the plugins to their own page
- improved icon handling (use font files)

Please not that MusicInfoSCR as of 2.99 is no longer compatible with
SlimServer version < 6.5. Previous versions of MusicInfoSCR will be
removed.

Find screenshots and further information on my site:
http://www.herger.net/MusicInfoSCR

Oh, one more thing: 2.99 << 3.0. Consider this a beta version. There's a
lot of new stuff and potential bugs. Any feedback is welcome.

Have fun!

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

luga00
2006-09-28, 01:47
It seems crazy to me that this is has not been taken up by Slim as the default 'Now Playing' feature of Squeezebox. My understanding is that this is a screensaver only (ie you have to wait for the screensaver to cut in before this information is viewable). I like to hit the 'Now Playing' button when I'm ready for it and it would be great if Michael's information was available at that point.

Great work, Michael.

Russ

mherger
2006-09-28, 02:54
> It seems crazy to me that this is has not been taken up by Slim as the
> default 'Now Playing' feature of Squeezebox.

Policy is imho to have core functionality built into the server, and offer
room (APIs) for extension for third party programmers. I couldn't have
done this new version without changes Triode did and published within the
display code.

> My understanding is that
> this is a screensaver only (ie you have to wait for the screensaver to
> cut in before this information is viewable).

The name now is slightly misleading: it isn't a screensaver only any more.
I might rename it for v3.0.

> I like to hit the 'Now
> Playing' button when I'm ready for it and it would be great if
> Michael's information was available at that point.

That's what this new version is mostly about: there's the "Now Playing"
mode which can be configured the way you want.

Thanks for the feedback,

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

luga00
2006-09-28, 09:57
Hi Michael, is there any reason why one cannot choose just 'Artist'or 'Album' from your list of choices? I'm assuming that your hands are tied to the values that Slimserver allows.


Russ

chiphart
2006-09-28, 10:39
Michael Herger wrote:
> The name now is slightly misleading: it isn't a screensaver only any more.
> I might rename it for v3.0.

I may have missed it in the changelog and when I installed an
earlier version of it, but I stopped using it originally because
[and feel free to call me stupid] I couldn't figure out how to
get the great InfoSCR info *and* have the 'Jump Back on Wake'
feature on at the same time. Does it do this now (or even then,
as the case may be)?

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://www.pcc.com/~chip
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

mherger
2006-09-28, 11:05
> Hi Michael, is there any reason why one cannot choose just 'Artist'or
> 'Album' from your list of choices? I'm assuming that your hands are
> tied to the values that Slimserver allows.

It's just the default set of format strings as defined in Server
Settings/Formatting. Go there and add these two (or others), restart the
server and you should be fine.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

mherger
2006-09-28, 11:10
> I couldn't figure out how to
> get the great InfoSCR info *and* have the 'Jump Back on Wake'
> feature on at the same time.

This option has been there for a while (don't know when you gave up). It's
called - surprise! - "Jump back on wake"

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

chiphart
2006-09-28, 19:15
Michael Herger wrote:
> This option has been there for a while (don't know when you gave up). It's
> called - surprise! - "Jump back on wake"

...it was a while ago (when Slim was certainly in the 5s).

Just fired up the new version - superb. Big thanks to you and
Triode.

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://www.pcc.com/~chip
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

radish
2006-09-28, 19:44
I'm having strange trouble opening the zip file for 2.99, the folder with the fonts etc seems fine but the pm file itself in the root is 0 bytes. I've tried with 3 different zip programs. Am I the only one? If so it must be my fault :)

mherger
2006-09-28, 20:54
> I'm having strange trouble opening the zip file for 2.99, the folder
> with the fonts etc seems fine but the pm file itself in the root is 0
> bytes.

It's fine here. Re-download?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

radish
2006-09-28, 21:04
I've tried, actually from a couple of different machines. I'll try a Mac :)

mherger
2006-09-28, 21:23
> I've tried, actually from a couple of different machines. I'll try a Mac

Use wget instead of IE :-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

luga00
2006-09-29, 01:43
Hi Michael,

I did what you suggested and while my new format strings appear in slim's own list, they don't seem to show up in MusicInfo's list of available strings...

Russ

luga00
2006-09-29, 01:50
My mistake, SS doesn't actually shut down when you 'Exit' from the task bar.
Works great. Thanks for all your work on the plugin.

Russ

mherger
2006-09-29, 01:52
> I did what you suggested and while my new format strings appear in
> slim's own list, they don't seem to show up in MusicInfo's list of
> available strings...

There's a known issue with the plugin's list not being updated
automatically. You'd have to restart the server or switch the language
back and forth to initialize it. Does this help?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

radish
2006-09-29, 08:36
> I've tried, actually from a couple of different machines. I'll try a Mac

Use wget instead of IE :-)


Actually firefox didn't like it either (that's what I usually use). I guess wget is next, then telnet :)

mherger
2006-09-29, 13:28
I did what you suggested and while my new format strings appear in slim's own list, they don't seem to show up in MusicInfo's list of available strings...

That's now history: version 2.99.2 does update the list without restarting the server and other trickery.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=141136#post141136