PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer won't start

arcticblue
2006-09-27, 11:48
I had SlimServer 6.5.0 up and running perfectly, when I saw that 6.5.1 were released. After the upgrade my SlimServer didn't want to start.

I'm using Win2003 and when opening 'Services' and trying to manually start the SlimServer, I end up with a message telling me that SlimServer itself stopped running (due to that there wasn't anything to do)? Please see attached snapshot for details.

Anyone have a clue as of why this happens, and even more importantly; what to do about it.

I have tried the following (and nothing seems to get the SlimServer up and running);
* Uninstalled 6.5.1 and removed everything
* Re-installed 6.5.0 (since it worked before)
* Re-installed 6.5.1 (clean install)
* I have installed with the default settings
* I have disconnected all SQ-boxes

Any hints are highly appreciated...

Browny
2006-09-27, 12:02
Some questions:

- Does Slimserver show as an installed application in the 'Add/Remove Programs' option in the Control Panel when you think you've uninstalled it.

- What is left in C:\Program Files\Slimdevices (or is this Slimserver).

It sounds like you may need to do a manual clean-up to get a clean install to take place....

Millwood
2006-09-27, 12:12
I had to erase lots of files - most everything except the prefs file, to get around this. Its quite strange since a reinstall of 6.5.0 doesn't replace a bunch of 0 length files that the 6.5.1 install created.

breadvan
2006-09-27, 21:13
I have similar problem and likely to be even worst since the SS "Service" cannot be uninstalled properly, I have posted on another thread and woud appreciate sugegstion.

Once you have lived with SB3, you ain't going back, so please help.

arcticblue
2006-09-27, 22:51
Guess people would like to say: "Don't fix, unless it is broke" :(

>- Does Slimserver show as an installed application in the >'Add/Remove Programs' option in the Control Panel when you think >you've uninstalled it.
Yes, I did un-install using the CP, and the SlimServer did not appear in the list after un-install.

>- What is left in C:\Program Files\Slimdevices (or is this >Slimserver).
Only the manual changes I had added; PlayLists and the WeatherTime plugin.

-------------

Anyway, I tried to install 6.5.1 on another computer (still running Win2003) where no SlimServer has ever been installed before. Just before installing I copied my playlists to "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Playlists" and also the only plugin I use; "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Plugins\WeatherTime".
To my surprise I got the very same behaviour, i.e. that the SlimServer refused to start.

I then went back to the original computer, convinced that it had something to do with 6.5.1. (and for the sake of discussion, I assume that 6.5.1 can be installed on it's own, e.g. that it doesn't need 6.5.0?).

I then did remove 'everything' including;
* Uninstall from CP
* Removing C:\Program Files\SlimServer and everything in it.
* No adding of Playlist or plugins
* No adding of previous preferences
In short, a virgin install (if something like that ever exists)
THEN, I tried to install 6.5.0 and this time it worked!

I have no explanation why the 6.5.1 upgrade went wrong, nor do I understand why it worked this time. The only difference would be that I removed the C:\Program Files\SlimServer directory and everything with it.
Am now runnning 6.5.0 and will wait some time before trying another version...

breadvan
2006-09-27, 23:22
Unfortunately a 'virgin' install doesn't always help, I even tried a virgin install on another directory but got the same result. I believe there are 'left overs' in the registry affecting a new installation.

jed
2006-09-27, 23:36
Arcticblue I've also had this on a new win 2003 installation after I had a hdd failure ( and I tried installing 4 plugins at once - customdisplay, music info screensaver, weather date and time and Alien BBC 1.06). I got it going by not installing any plugins until ss was working correctly, then adding one plugin at a time and rebooting the pc between each plugin install - even on the original win 2003 install. It's a bit of a pain in the ar$e but it worked for me.

Hope this helps
Jed

JJZolx
2006-09-28, 00:59
I had SlimServer 6.5.0 up and running perfectly, when I saw that 6.5.1 were released.
So far as I can tell, 6.5.1 has not been released yet.

JJZolx
2006-09-28, 01:04
Unfortunately a 'virgin' install doesn't always help, I even tried a virgin install on another directory but got the same result. I believe there are 'left overs' in the registry affecting a new installation.
The SlimServer service registry entries are very simple and located in just one place, unlike some applications that spread junk throughout the registry. If you find that for some reason the service is pointing at the wrong directory you can easily edit the registry entry. See the ImagePath entry located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\slimsvc

kevin
2006-09-28, 10:48
The SlimServer service registry entries are very simple and located in just one place, unlike some applications that spread junk throughout the registry. If you find that for some reason the service is pointing at the wrong directory you can easily edit the registry entry. See the ImagePath entry located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\slimsvc

Agreed, we don't do much with the registry. But you can also force slim.exe to remove that particular key with the command line:
slim.exe -remove

Or to add it back in:
slim.exe -install

Otherwise I think the only other things we put in the registry are firewall exceptions (pretty insignificant and would not affect this issue) and possibly some items from SlimTray.exe and slim.exe since they are 'wrapped up' ActiveState Perl packages. AFAIK none of the A.S. Perl items should have any affect either.

But like JJ said, we don't do much with the registry, because the server doesn't really need to