PDA

View Full Version : Rescan Clears Player Playlist

bishopdonmiguel
2006-09-26, 02:01
Recently upgraded to 6.5.1 running under Debian. I had previously been using the Rescan Music Library plugin to automatically rebuild nightly using "Clear Library and Rescan Everything." Never had problems doing this with 6.3.1 but now each morning I notice the playlists on all of the players are empty. A manual "rescan everything" also wipes all of the player playlists. Is this the expected behavior?

autopilot
2006-09-26, 04:06
I thought this was normal?

jeffluckett
2006-09-27, 04:38
Recently upgraded to 6.5.1 running under Debian. I had previously been using the Rescan Music Library plugin to automatically rebuild nightly using "Clear Library and Rescan Everything." Never had problems doing this with 6.3.1 but now each morning I notice the playlists on all of the players are empty. A manual "rescan everything" also wipes all of the player playlists. Is this the expected behavior?

Well, since you are doing a 'dump and rescan' of your database, your player no longer has any reason to suspect the current playlist in memory is at all valid. So, it makes sense that when you do a full rescan ... EVERYTHING is nulled out and rebuilt.

dip
2006-09-27, 04:52
I don't like this behaviour. Usually after amending tags of my existing files, after deleting files or installing a new version of slimserver I make a wipe and rescan (otherwise there are often annoying side effects). I would prefer that in this case the now playing playlist is maintained since the wipe and rescan has nothing to do with the content of the now playing list. If e.g. my wife has selected some songs for playing and would like to continue hearing these songs or to restart hearing that's no longer possible.

smc2911
2006-09-27, 05:17
Perhaps there is room for an additional scanning option: "Scan Everything" as opposed to "Clear Library and Rescan Everything" which could simply be used to picking up tweaks to tags.

jeffluckett
2006-09-27, 05:38
Perhaps there is room for an additional scanning option: "Scan Everything" as opposed to "Clear Library and Rescan Everything" which could simply be used to picking up tweaks to tags.

There are currently 3 rescan options:

1. Look for New and Changed Music
2. Dump and rescan
3. Playlists only

Options 1. and 3. should not clear your playlist ... you should only need option 2 if there's a specific reason. I believe option 1. incorporates the functionality you are looking for.

aubuti
2006-09-27, 07:40
Exactly. And the main reason that tag changes are often only picked up with a 'clear and rescan' is because a lot of people have their tagging software set not to update the timestamp of the file when editing tags. If the timestamp isn't since the last rescan, slimserver assumes the file hasn't changed, even though it has. Change the setting in the tagging software and the "new and changed" option should do the trick in most cases.

kevin
2006-09-27, 10:24
I thought this was normal?

It's expected behavior, yes, but I personally find it a bit annoying myself. I filed a feature request about this, and we're looking in to making this not happen in the future:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4105

But as others have said, only the clear library/rescan option will cause this behavior. And with the new scanning process, clearing the library when rescanning is not needed as often as it may have been in the past... The look for new and changed music seems to work very, very well. (For me anyhow--YMMV.)