Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PBS
    • Sep 2006

Is 6.5 ready for non techies?

There seem to be a fair amount of threads detailing issues with 6.5.0 Is this representative or have most upgrades gone smoothly?
  • Browny
    • Nov 2005

I upgraded from 6.3 to 6.5 at the weekend.

Simply removed 6.3 and installed 6.5.

Worked first time, no issues. The only thing I made sure was that the old version was completely gone before I started installing (I always clear out any Plugins left over and reinstall these once I have the new version running).

This was on Linux (Clark Connect).

Comment

• PBS
      • Sep 2006

Is 6.5 ready for non techies?

That's encouraging. I'm on Windows XP and the only plugin I believe I have installed is the telcanto remote (although I really never use it).

The reason I asked the question was that my upgrade from 6.2.? to 6.3.1 was somewhat frustrating.

Comment

• jeffluckett
        • Jun 2006

I agree with the previous poster.

As long as you do a complete un-install of your previous version, 6.5 installs and runs fine. MOST of the issues I've seen seem to stem from "previous version poisoning", and also people who are using the more advanced features or have lots of plugins.

There's enough "new goodness" there to make it worth your while.

Comment

• Nostromo
          • Jul 2006

I did a clean install, but there are still some minor issues. Nothing major so far. 6.5 is big improvement.
          http://www.last.fm/user/Guermantez/

Comment

• kitecarl
            • Dec 2005

6.5 without uninstalling

Hi everyone,

I installed 6.5 w/o uninstalling 6.3 this past Friday and everything has continued working great... I did notice however many people commenting on the "gallery" view which I do not see as an option in the Fishbone UI. Perhaps this is why!

I'll completely wipe out my SlimServer installation tonight and install 6.5 fresh tonight. Afterwards will I see the "gallery" view as the same level as Albums, Artists, Years, etc? Thanks.

Comment

• JJZolx
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by kitecarl
              Hi everyone,

I installed 6.5 w/o uninstalling 6.3 this past Friday and everything has continued working great... I did notice however many people commenting on the "gallery" view which I do not see as an option in the Fishbone UI. Perhaps this is why!

I'll completely wipe out my SlimServer installation tonight and install 6.5 fresh tonight. Afterwards will I see the "gallery" view as the same level as Albums, Artists, Years, etc? Thanks.
              No, the gallery view is an alternative to the list view that you can optionally use when you have a page full of albums. It's not a seperate browse mode.

Go into browse Albums and click the icon in the upper right of the browse window, next to the "Sort By" dropdown box. It's also there if you browse Artists, then select an artist.

Comment

• Pale Blue Ego
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Browny
                I upgraded from 6.3 to 6.5 at the weekend.

Simply removed 6.3 and installed 6.5.

Worked first time, no issues. The only thing I made sure was that the old version was completely gone before I started installing (I always clear out any Plugins left over and reinstall these once I have the new version running).

This was on Linux (Clark Connect).
                A few questions, if you don't mind. I'm also using ClarkConnect. I'm currently running SS 6.2.2, and would like to try 6.5.0

Right now I do not have the MySQL service running on ClarkConnect. It is installed, but set to manual startup. Do I need to have MySQL running on ClarkConnect, or does 6.5 install its own version of MySQL and start it?

Did you simply do an RPM -e to uninstall Slimserver? And a RPM -i to install 6.5?

Comment

• Jack Coates
                  • May 2005

Re: Is 6.5 ready for non techies?

On 9/25/06, Pale Blue Ego <
                  Pale.Blue.Ego.2epivb1159215602 (AT) ...limdevices.com> wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  > Browny;139628 Wrote:
                  > > I upgraded from 6.3 to 6.5 at the weekend.
                  > >
                  > > Simply removed 6.3 and installed 6.5.
                  > >
                  > > Worked first time, no issues. The only thing I made sure was that the
                  > > old version was completely gone before I started installing (I always
                  > > clear out any Plugins left over and reinstall these once I have the new
                  > > version running).
                  > >
                  > > This was on Linux (Clark Connect).

>
                  > A few questions, if you don't mind. I'm also using ClarkConnect. I'm
                  > currently running SS 6.2.2, and would like to try 6.5.0
                  >
                  > Right now I do not have the MySQL service running on ClarkConnect. It
                  > is installed, but set to manual startup. Do I need to have MySQL
                  > running on ClarkConnect, or does 6.5 install its own version of MySQL
                  > and start it?

6.5 brings its own MySQL, you don't need another one.

Did you simply do an RPM -e to uninstall Slimserver? And a RPM -i to
                  > install 6.5?
                  >
                  >

Yup. If you have any problems after doing that, you might also need to run
                  /usr/local/slimserver/Bin/build-perlmodules.pl -- I needed it on SuSE 10.
                  --
                  "I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
                  So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

"That which does not kill you makes you bitter and cynical." -- Too Much Coffee Man

Comment

• miguelk
                    • Jul 2006

Scanning crashes 6.5

I'm running XP. I've done a complete uninstallation of 6.3 and installed 6.5, and every time I tried to scan my collection Slimserver crashed. I gave up and reinstalled 6.3...working fine again. Whatever the advantages of 6.5, they are pointless if it keeps crashing. Not quite ready for prime time (but I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows how to solve the problem...)

Comment

• Siduhe
                      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by miguelk
                      I'm running XP. I've done a complete uninstallation of 6.3 and installed 6.5, and every time I tried to scan my collection Slimserver crashed. (but I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows how to solve the problem...)
                      Do you have an "on-access" virus scanning or internet security program installed on the machine the runs slimserver ? Does Slimserver work ok if you switch your internet security program off ?

If so, set your virus scanner to ignore files ending in .MYI and see if this helps.

Oh, and when you uninstalled 6.3 - did you completely wipe out the database by deleting the old Slimserver directory manually ? Is also worth checking you have no remnants of 6.3 (including any third party plugins) before you fire up 6.5.

HTH
                      Last edited by Siduhe; 2006-09-26, 12:53.
                      Who am I on LAST.FM?
                      "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• Pale Blue Ego
                        • Apr 2005

6.5.0 upgrade went smoothly on ClarkConnect. No problems that I can detect after playing around for an hour.

I have to say that the performance is much better than 6.2.2. I assume it's due to using MySQL instead of SQL Lite. Both the player GUI and the web interface are a LOT more responsive.

Nice job, guys! I usually don't risk the ".0" releases, but 6.5.0 seems quite stable, fun, and frisky.

Comment

• poneeboy
                          • May 2006

it seems that uninstalling earlier versions is the prudent way to go. But I dread reconfiguring all my server settings.

Is there any way to bring across just the settings and still uninstall all the program files (except the settings)?

thanks

Comment

• LHawes
                            • Jul 2006

I went to the 6.5 download page http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html and saw nothing that mentions removing 6.3 completely before loading 6.5, which to me, speaks volumes in answer to the OP's question.

The web site says nothing about removing 6.3, which, if it does, it is hidden pretty well from this non-techie and yet all the techies (and I mean that in the most affectionate manner) insist 6.3 must be removed before loading 6.5.

I just loaded 6.5 over the top of 6.3 because I'm a non-techie and it seems to be working fine. So is it ready for us non-techies? I say yes - so far.

Comment

• Ben Sandee

Re: Is 6.5 ready for non techies?

On 9/26/06, LHawes <LHawes.2errfb1159320001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
                              wrote:
                              >
                              >
                              > The web site says nothing about removing 6.3, which, if it does, it is
                              > hidden pretty well from this non-techie and yet all the techies (and I
                              > mean that in the most affectionate manner) insist 6.3 must be removed
                              > before loading 6.5.

There are a few well-known (now) situations where installing over the
                              earlier install fails (Default2 skin, some old plugins, etc).
                              Some/many/all(?) of these issues are being addressed in 6.5.1 I believe.
                              SlimDevices official stance is that you absolutely can install right over
                              top.

Ben

Comment

Working...